• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I have a couple old zippos and honestly I only keep them for nostalgia. I don't like them leaking in my pocket. For utility, you can't beat a bic.

If you guys aren't aware of the Exotac Titan lighter, it's everything a Zippo ever hoped it could be because it's got a rubber O-ring. I've had mine for years, and the fluid doesn't leak out or evaporate like a zippo does. If you overfill it you'll get some fluid spilling over like anything else. I've lit a few campfires starting with damp tinder with the Exotac Titan lighter and it's great for what it is. I'm not going to say it's better than a bic or that it'll replace the bics in a backpack, but it fills the place any zippo ever had.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have always been impressed with the simplicity and efficiency of the Zippo. It is a tool that you know you can trust.

I am really no expert on outdoor skills. One day the young grandsons and I were going to make a fire the old fashion way. We rubbed sticks until we gave up. We spun a stick with a string for a long time, made a little (very little) smoke from some leaves. Singed some toilet paper. We thought we saw a little flame a couple times, but never got it to grow. I was thinking a Zippo would be really nice to have about then.

I am clearly a failure as a woodsman and a grandfather.

Luckily I know how to work tools. I got my push button start MAPP gas torch out of the garage. Five minutes later, the Chiminea had rolling flames and we ate marshmallows. I am glad they are young enough to be impressed.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    (clip) If you guys aren't aware of the Exotac Titan lighter, it's everything a Zippo ever hoped it could be because it's got a rubber O-ring. (clip)

I like the look/idea of the Exotac Titan. $70 a pop is pretty salty though.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I like the look/idea of the Exotac Titan. $70 a pop is pretty salty though.
    It's not cheap, but there's always some deal going for them that gets the price down around $50 shipped. I agree though, it's not cheap and that's why I still usually use a bic lighter.

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    The zippo was invented to light reliably in the wind. It works good for that. It’s world war ll technology

Top Bottom