• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I am a shotgunner and pistol guy so I need a good home defense/zombie rifle. Looking for suggestions should a i get a carbine or something else. I don't want to drink the AR Kool-aid :koolaid: because I know they are like potato chips, one is just never enough. Since this gun wont get shot very often.

Mods: feel free to move this if I put this in the wrong place.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    What do you want out of your caliber? Do you want to shoot through trees and several houses, or just a couple houses? A medium caliber might be more practical. 7.62X39 or 5.56 are lighter to carry ammo, and easy to get ammo for at a decent price.

Do you need/want a .308 for a specific reason?

Personally if I didn't want an AR, and did want a general purpose HD/ZD rifle. I'd lean towards and AK or SKS. Also a guy on here enlightened me to the VZ, and they look pretty sweet.

Vz. 58 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I have recently considered the same type of applicaton and what would I want to fill it.

I came down to two calibers, 5.56/.223 and 7.62/.308 for a rifle that could be used for ranges of 50-600 yards..

If your not going to lug this rifle out and about all that much a heavy barrel is best in my opinion.

Also a good tripod and some good optics will be a nice addition.

Just my two pennies, remember I don't know anything..

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    Just get an AK-47. Cheap to buy/fix/shoot, reliable, friggin' cool factor, the most evilest rifle of them all.

I love my new yugo underfolder!

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    If your not going to lug this rifle out and about all that much a heavy barrel is best in my opinion.

HBs are awesome, but if you have to swing it around, or use if for much time you'll greatly enjoy a standard barrel. Much easier on the arms and to steady with less weight on the support arm IMO.

For bench/bipod usage, HB all day.

deranged222

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Not sure of other family members in the house, but remember any rifle for home defense runs the risk of passing through walls and hitting unintended targets.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    If I have to pull out the rifle the S has truly and thoroughly HTF wieght not really a concern, I'm still young enough to think I'm invincible. The AK has peaked my interest. as far as picking .308 for a caliber, bigger is always better, no real reason behind caliber choice.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

*edit* plus I like the idea of an AK because they are on the cheaper side and cheap to shot and since get used all that often that is a big plus.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    ...Personally if I didn't want an AR, and did want a general purpose HD/ZD rifle. I'd lean towards and AK or SKS. Also a guy on here enlightened me to the VZ, and they look pretty sweet...

I went with the SKS for my "Zombie" project
    picture.php

It's a fun gun, it runs fine, does everything I want it to do, plus it's "tacticool" so all the kids like it. :):

Plus, I only have about $250 in it, so it by no means broke my bank.

However, for simple HD, I just stick to my Mossberg 500...

Last edited:

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    IMO It's best not to defend you home with a high powered rilfe. So that rules out AR and AK, unless they are in a pistol caliber.

But for a true zombie rilfe, a good level action 44mag with a cut down barrel and stock is a must.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Some one is making those now. Gun's based off Steve McQueens guns in "Wanted: Dead or Alive."

I'm going for a 9mm carbine that uses Glock magazines. A lever action 357/38 would be a 3 or 4th choice.

Currently a .223 AR fills the carbine roll.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Ok, First of all, Zombies are re-animated tissue. I am not sure if damaging a single part of the zombie would be effective in neutralizing the threat. Maybe? But would you bet your own reanimation on it? Hmmm. IMO 10 or 12g Shotguns are the very best zombie guns. Hit them hard. Hit them ALL OVER. If you feel the need to use a rifle on zombies however, nothing les than a 30 cal. will do. If I had to drop my 12g, I would reach for my SOCOM II. I have been thinking about getting a Marlin carbine chambered for .357 or 44 and would be interested if anyone has downed a zombie with either of those?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    IMO It's best not to defend you home with a high powered rilfe. So that rules out AR and AK, unless they are in a pistol caliber.

But for a true zombie rilfe, a good level action 44mag with a cut down barrel and stock is a must.

Actually, ARs have less penetration than people realize. Even FMJ when traveling above 2700 fps will break up in the body. And if you load it with varmint rounds it shouldn't over penetrate either. Just don't miss.:)

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    My question is, how close are you willing to let them get. I would prefer to keep them as far away as possible. I want to be able to hit them from a distance and I want to get one good shot in the head.

Hoosier49er

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2011
    This isn't a "rifle", but I wouldn't let a zombie get close enough to sink his/her choppers into me. I'd sit back and explodificate them from a distance with one of my two cohorn mortars...
    picture.php

This is my small one. :D Building a 12 pounder howitzer in the garage...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom