• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TWEAKD4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    NE Indiana
    I stroll through Walmart once in a while and take a gander at the ammo case. I noticed in the last few months they started selling ZQI brand ammo. I thought it was a bit costly thinking it had quality similar to Tula. I decided to look it up and it appears to be NATO quality stuff from the Turkey. ZQI Ammunition The 9mm appears to be a high pressure load at 123g. The large 1200 round can sells for $497 which makes it about 41 cents a round. Which is high for Walmart prices but comparable what ammo sells for at other retailers. If it truly is a better round I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more for it. Has anyone else tried this brand?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I stroll through Walmart once in a while and take a gander at the ammo case. I noticed in the last few months they started selling ZQI brand ammo. I thought it was a bit costly thinking it had quality similar to Tula. I decided to look it up and it appears to be NATO quality stuff from the Turkey. ZQI Ammunition The 9mm appears to be a high pressure load at 123g. The large 1200 round can sells for $497 which makes it about 41 cents a round. Which is high for Walmart prices but comparable what ammo sells for at other retailers. If it truly is a better round I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more for it. Has anyone else tried this brand?

For $500 you could buy a Lee Pro 1000 and enough components to load about 5000 rounds. :dunno:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis

Its a bit expensive, but it is good to go awesome ammo. It's made by MKE in Turkey. MKE makes the ammo for the Turkish Army. This ammo has to make ALL Nato specs for Turkey to be in NATO.

Not only do they have 9MM and 5.56, but they have 7.62x51 FMJ. Which is rare to see in a commercial setting.

It is good annealed brass too, boxer primer. They usually sell it in smaller boxes too.

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    At $.41 per round, it is way too expensive. You can find brass cased good quality 9mm ammo for less than $.30 per round, so I don't see any real reason to buy this stuff (at Gander Mountain no less, at least when there is a sale).

Pohaku

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    In the middle
    Is this stuff mainly for target practice or is it a good carry load as well? I'm looking for cheap stuff to practice with and for carry I'd like something better. Any recommendations for either or both? I'll be using a Glock 26 gen 4 btw if that makes any difference.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Is this stuff mainly for target practice or is it a good carry load as well? I'm looking for cheap stuff to practice with and for carry I'd like something better. Any recommendations for either or both? I'll be using a Glock 26 gen 4 btw if that makes any difference.

I'd stay away from FMJ for self defense ammo. There are just too many other choices that are much better. Find a good brand like Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, Hornady Critical Defense or something similar THAT WORKS IN YOUR GUN!! The best ammo is worthless if it jams. Be sure to run 100 rounds MINIMUM of your chosen SD ammo. 200 is better. I know it is expensive but your life and or your family's life is worth a lot more.

Pohaku

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2014
    In the middle
    ... Be sure to run 100 rounds MINIMUM of your chosen SD ammo. 200 is better. I know it is expensive but your life and or your family's life is worth a lot more.

Hey thanks for the advice. I had no idea it took that many rounds to know how reliable your gun is with a particular brand of ammo.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    All the Walmarts in our area sell this ammo for $12.97 per 50rd box, or about 26 cents per rd. Says 123gr Nato on box, I've bought a couple . No problems .

images

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I saw this at a local WM at the same price. My question would be is this the same ammo that was in the white boxes at double the price? I think the white box said "NATO" these say "NATO Specs" IIRC.
    Does the slight change in wording mean anything? Seems to have come with the price change and the price being cut in half.

Anyway it's like a 9 dollar price drop. I will give some a whirl on payday. Anyone have a clue on the wording or price change?

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    I've shot zqi ammo in my glock 19. It shot good no reliability problems, but it left tiny flakes of brass all over the inside of the gun. No other ammo has done that for me. So I won't be buying that stuff again.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I ran 100 rounds of the 7.62x51 through my M1A today without a hiccup. Not bad on accuracy. Well worth the 10 bucks a box. I will be buying more. I never thought I would see the day when I would be happy about finding 50 cents a round 7.62 Nato.

seadoodr.

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    martinsville
    I haven't used the 9mm yet but I've run a couple hundred rounds of the 5.56 through my AR and it was fine. I'm going to grab some more next trip to wally world.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    I ran 100 rounds of the 7.62x51 through my M1A today without a hiccup. Not bad on accuracy. Well worth the 10 bucks a box. I will be buying more. I never thought I would see the day when I would be happy about finding 50 cents a round 7.62 Nato.
    did it throw a big fire ball out of the m1a? i tryed in my cemte and it worked very well but it threw a huge fireball might be the shorter barrel though.

Top Bottom