• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Thursday my wife and I drive down to jeffersonville to pick up a dog kennel. After loading everything and strapping it down we stop at the local burger king to get some food. We walk inside and go about our business ordering food. My wife gets our drinks and finds a table. As I'm waiting for the food I take a look around the place trying to waste time. There is around 10 customers inside the store including my wife and I. My order comes up and I grab my food and proceed to walk to where my wife is sitting. I walk past what seems to be a manager talking to his gf or who ever. Then I hear " hold on babe, I got to take care of a situation" immediately I know he is talking about me. I go sit down at the table not looking back and he walks up to us. "hey man, your going to have to leave, your scaring everyone in my store." I ask how ad he tells me that people can see my firearm and that it's illegal. I proceed to tell him that Indiana doesn't have a law stating that it's illegal and you can either cc or OC. He then tells me I'm wrong and only Leo's are aloud to have guns. So I bring my the legal heat app on my phone and try to show him some of the laws. ( at this time I'm not being rude what so ever, just trying to give him some correct information) he still doesn't believe me so I show him my LTCH and he continues to tell me that license is fake. He gets more agitated and tells me I need to leave or he's calling the police. I tell him that he officer will tell him the exact same thing if that's what he wants to do. At this point my wife is done eating and I havnt touched my food. I'm pretty irritated and start to gather up my food and leave. The manager walks away back to his gf and says "sorry babe, I had to take care of that nut job." This is when I decided that I was going to stay an finish my food I get my food out and finish my meal. As my wife and I walk out 2 leo's pull up and stop next me. Around the same time the manager comes storming out the door pointing at me yelling "he's the one scaring everyone with his gun inside my store!" it's now 2 officers, the manager, my wife and I standing in the parking lot. I provide the officer with my LTCH and he looks at it and gives it back. I tell the officer my side of the story and then the manager tells his. He also then adds that I had my hand resting on my gun scaring everyone. ( which I never have my hand on my gun unless I intend to draw my weapon ) I tell the officer tha I never once touched my weapon inside the store. Now I feel a lot of tension and await to see what the officers have to say when a old man wearing a Vietnam vet hat walks up and says "this man has done nothing wrong, he tried to show the manager the law and he refused to listen. He also never touched his firearm" the officer tells me that he is sorry for my. inconvenience and that I'm ok to leave. My wife and I get in our vehicle and leave. I'm not sure what happened with the manager and te officers after that but I could only hope and he believed the information they gave him. With all that being said, I just want to thank all the vets out there and I couldn't appreciate them anymore than i do now. It's a great feeling to know that the gentleman had my back during the whole ordeal. Needless to say I hope those officers bruised the managers ego after I left. Just wish I could of been there to witness it. Haha. Thanks :ingo: !

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Well it may have been a bad experience, but it turned out pretty good. He did ask you to leave though and really I think you should have. Nobody needs a trespass charge.

+1 to the vet! -427 to the :n00b: Burger King Manager!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    While you are right, there is no law about OC or CC,......
    He can ask you to leave. He doesn't have to be right.
    If he is the manager, he sets policy, unless otherwise directed by a supervisor (if a chain store).
    Owner of a property has the right to set who can be there.
    After he asked you to leave, it becomes "trespassing".
    I'm not knocking OC, I do it myself.

JDvader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Evansville, IN
    Congrats on not backing down. That manager probably still thinks he is right, but he might have some doubt in the back of his mind next time he tries to intimidate someone.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Paragraph breaks are your friend.

A letter to corporate on the manager's poor handling of the situation would be in order.
    :+1: It sounds like the power tripping manager that was trying to impress his girlfriend caused more of a scene than the OP carrying and was alienating paying customers by his behaviour.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Perfect example of why not to OC, even though you can legally.;)

Okay. If anyone wants an OC/CC debate, we have several going on.
    How about we save this thread for the OP's comment.
    And, SERparacord, this wouldn't have been any different if he was CCing, and was "discovered".

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    I'd say he was just trying to impress his girlfriend with his "power." But yeah, since you can get trespassing charges for staying after he asked you to leave, it was probably best to leave. Granted, I would have asked for the territory manager's phone number, but I still would have left after being asked to.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Good job standing up for yourself. Next time you're asked to leave private property you should probably do it though. I understand what you were trying to do, but it could have turned out badly. Your best bet is to send some communications up through corporate to let them know how rude he was and his comments about you being a nut job. They may tell you that they support his right to ask you to leave, so make sure you stress it was the manner in which he asked you to do it that was the biggest issue. Good luck!

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Trespassing, ya I understand. I have a friend who used to be a manager at our local BK. I called him later that night and asked of he remembered if there was any rules against guns for bk. he told me that there wasn't any unless it changed in the past year. Idk. Sorry about a huge mess of a story. I'm on my phone at work and still don't know how to operate the keyboard 100%. I have to agree that he was trying to impress his gf though. Lol. Thanks for the support!

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Awesome job standing up for yourself.

Two things though:

Edit:, this thread moved fast and there is no need to repeat the same thing many have already said.

Good story though! Glad the cop did his job with no harassment.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Which BK (address, etc)? Maybe a few emails/letters from INGOers (especially from that vicinity) might be in order, expressing contempt for the manager and how he treats law-abiding customers.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    Looks like the manager was looking to show his manlyness and high status in front of his girlfriend by trying to act like a badass. i hate people like that. +1 for you for not backing down. Even if it wasn't the smartest (legal wise) desicion.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Next time you're down this way, don't go to that store. It used to be one of the best around, but the last time I stopped there, most of the employees looked like gang bangers, and the place was filthy. Hit the one in Clarksville or Sellersburg instead.

Top Bottom