Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 108
  1. #41
    Marksman sbu sailor's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by tbhausen View Post
    I just had a first look through the Konuspot80 I picked up from Optics Planet for $202 (shipped). It arrived in perfect condition and initial impression is it's very well built. I can't imagine anyone with even remotely realistic expectations being disappointed with this spotting scope at this price. < > Edit: It's a bit large... you probably won't want to hike with this
    Congrats on your purchase! I am sure you will enjoy it! And no, it is not a hiking companion! Lol

  2. #42
    Grandmaster Woobie's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    On that note, Alan: what attribute is most important in an optic for seeing bullet trace? I've only used a couple of different optics to watch trace, and those were in the Army. Seems like the spotting scope (forget what kind it was, but the value was around $400-500) was not as good as the Steiner binoculars I used on a different occasion. Now maybe that was due to differing atmospheric conditions on different days. But optical clarity seems like it is important. Maybe the wavelengths of light they transmit more readily played a part. I wonder if the way those Steiners focus has anything to do with it as well. Just curious.
    "Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

  3. #43
    Marksman gstanley102's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by gstanley102 View Post
    Thanks for the response.

    After reading your post about 3 times I'm about to spring for a Rampage.
    What differences did you find between the X60 and the X80?
    As a novice I would expect better low performance from the X80.

    Thanks again for the timely post.

    I've screwed up again.

    I've been leaning towards a decent spotter fro some time with out doing much toward that end.

    After reading the original post 3 time I thought I would find a Rampage to bring home.
    Then I screwed up. I started looking for sources and prices for the Konus.
    Primarily because of the accolades for the one that just works.

    Now I really need to find the two at a range where I can have a look.

  4. #44
    Grandmaster 42769vette's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by gstanley102 View Post
    I've screwed up again.

    I've been leaning towards a decent spotter fro some time with out doing much toward that end.

    After reading the original post 3 time I thought I would find a Rampage to bring home.
    Then I screwed up. I started looking for sources and prices for the Konus.
    Primarily because of the accolades for the one that just works.

    Now I really need to find the two at a range where I can have a look.
    Buy the Konus.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

    owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

    full line vortex dealer

    contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

  5. #45
    Grandmaster 42769vette's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Woobie View Post
    On that note, Alan: what attribute is most important in an optic for seeing bullet trace? I've only used a couple of different optics to watch trace, and those were in the Army. Seems like the spotting scope (forget what kind it was, but the value was around $400-500) was not as good as the Steiner binoculars I used on a different occasion. Now maybe that was due to differing atmospheric conditions on different days. But optical clarity seems like it is important. Maybe the wavelengths of light they transmit more readily played a part. I wonder if the way those Steiners focus has anything to do with it as well. Just curious.
    Its a lot of things. Mainly its the glass's ability to pick up small details at longer range (keep in mind you wont see vapor at 100 yds unless its with a 22LR and even then its near impossible). A large part of it is how the focus adjusts. Some focus wheel's have very gross adjustments. The focus should be set for about 100 yds closer than the target is to maximize ability to pick up the bullet passing.

    The stiner's were easier to pick up vapor because they were lower zoom than the spotter. When folks try and pick up vapor trail they always try and zoom in, and that is not a good thing. You need a wind FOV so you can catch the trail earlier. If your zoomed in trying to see bullet holes in paper you wont have enough time to catch much less trace vapor trail. I can actually call hit or miss long before the bullet get where its going after a few shots because Ive tracked the trail enough that I know if the bullet is not where it should be. This may sound like internet BS, but enough people on this sight have seen me call it way early that can vouch for it.

    Long story short if you want to catch vapor trail repeatably, you need to spend more money than the Konus. If you want to see holes in paper, splash off target, etc the Konus will work. If you have x budget, and x is less than 400 dollars don't get wrapped up in the research, and latest, and greatest BUY THE KONUS. I follow every new product that hits the market, and if something better comes along Ill know about it, and I'm always happy to answer questions about products I dont carry. Most folks have a job besides following the optics market, and there is to many products to sift through in your spare time.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

    owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

    full line vortex dealer

    contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

  6. #46
    Master tbhausen's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by gstanley102 View Post
    I've screwed up again.

    I've been leaning towards a decent spotter fro some time with out doing much toward that end.

    After reading the original post 3 time I thought I would find a Rampage to bring home.
    Then I screwed up. I started looking for sources and prices for the Konus.
    Primarily because of the accolades for the one that just works.

    Now I really need to find the two at a range where I can have a look.
    If you or anyone else wants to meet up to have a look through the Konuspot80 at MCF&G, I'd be glad to try to work that out.

  7. #47
    Grandmaster Woobie's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 42769vette View Post
    Its a lot of things. Mainly its the glass's ability to pick up small details at longer range (keep in mind you wont see vapor at 100 yds unless its with a 22LR and even then its near impossible). A large part of it is how the focus adjusts. Some focus wheel's have very gross adjustments. The focus should be set for about 100 yds closer than the target is to maximize ability to pick up the bullet passing.

    The stiner's were easier to pick up vapor because they were lower zoom than the spotter. When folks try and pick up vapor trail they always try and zoom in, and that is not a good thing. You need a wind FOV so you can catch the trail earlier. If your zoomed in trying to see bullet holes in paper you wont have enough time to catch much less trace vapor trail. I can actually call hit or miss long before the bullet get where its going after a few shots because Ive tracked the trail enough that I know if the bullet is not where it should be. This may sound like internet BS, but enough people on this sight have seen me call it way early that can vouch for it.

    Long story short if you want to catch vapor trail repeatably, you need to spend more money than the Konus. If you want to see holes in paper, splash off target, etc the Konus will work. If you have x budget, and x is less than 400 dollars don't get wrapped up in the research, and latest, and greatest BUY THE KONUS. I follow every new product that hits the market, and if something better comes along Ill know about it, and I'm always happy to answer questions about products I dont carry. Most folks have a job besides following the optics market, and there is to many products to sift through in your spare time.
    I've only watch 5.56 and 7.62x51. I can't remember ever picking up trace on a shot shorter than 300. The trajectory is so flat and flight time is so short it's almost impossible. Thanks for the info. And that isn't internet BS about calling hits from watching trace. I've done it, but it does take some getting used to, and I'm definitely out of practice. Setting the focus short of the target has the added benefit of helping read mirage as well.
    "Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

  8. #48
    Marksman sbu sailor's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by gstanley102 View Post
    I've screwed up again.

    I've been leaning towards a decent spotter fro some time with out doing much toward that end.

    After reading the original post 3 time I thought I would find a Rampage to bring home.
    Then I screwed up. I started looking for sources and prices for the Konus.
    Primarily because of the accolades for the one that just works.

    Now I really need to find the two at a range where I can have a look.
    You can't go wrong with the Konus. Use the extra money as a "savings start" towards a good tripod!
    Like I said in the first post, the Konus was the best performer under $400.

  9. #49
    Grandmaster 42769vette's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by sbu sailor View Post
    Use the extra money as a "savings start" towards a good tripod!
    Yep, the tripod is free and worth exactly what you paid for it.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

    owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

    full line vortex dealer

    contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

  10. #50
    Marksman gstanley102's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Thank you all (tbhausen, sbu sailot, 42769vette .

    I'll be looking to purchase a Konus in a week or two.


Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Button Dodge