A Good Spotting Scope On A Budget? First time buyer’s guide…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    I just got a barska for father's day from my mom. It'll do for what I need it to. Does anyone else have an issue using these with glasses? Seems like there is ZERO eye relief.

That lack of eye relief is what killed the Barskas for us. Safety glasses at the range = hard to use Barska. They aren't horrible scopes, there's just better ones at the same (or a smidge higher) price.
    thanks for the comment.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    Nice write up. Just what I've been looking for as I'm starting the search for a decent spotting scope

All on .223 holes? We used a chart to determine image quality both "in-store" and at our "outing." (a link to see it is in the write up.) We also utilized targets with .223, .308, and .45 holes in them.
    All same time of day?Outdoor, yes.
    All in the same ambient conditions? Yes
    All same lighting? Yes
    How many different sets of eyes were used? 3 indoor, 12 outdoor
    What were the condition of the viewing eyes? All 20-20? 20/20 or "corrected to" 20/20 with glasses
    Were all scopes checked at identical ranges? Yes
    What scopes did you investigate and decide not to test? We tested every scope available at the 3 sporting goods outlets listed in the write up. Once the price point passed $1500, we only tested the more expensive scopes which were brought to the outing. Asking the Cabela's counter help to let you play with the $6000 Nikon EDGE seemed a little much for us... since we were searching for a $500 or cheaper spotter.

Thanks again for a great write up.

thanks for the comment.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    Looks like I can get the Levenhuk 90 for $169 shipped... Would you do that instead of the Konuspot80 for $202?

Side by side the Konus had a marginally better image. The Levenhuk has a lifetime warranty. Apples to oranges on why, but ... personally I would take the Levenhuk for the warranty. I have already stated that I would steer others towards the Konus because the Levenhuk is Russian. All the long distance shooters using Konus can't be wrong!

Check out this Brit's opinion of the Levenhuk 90: Levenhuk Blaze 30-90x90 Spotting Scope Review

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Side by side the Konus had a marginally better image. The Levenhuk has a lifetime warranty. Apples to oranges on why, but ... personally I would take the Levenhuk for the warranty. I have already stated that I would steer others towards the Konus because the Levenhuk is Russian. All the long distance shooters using Konus can't be wrong!

Check out this Brit's opinion of the Levenhuk 90: Levenhuk Blaze 30-90x90 Spotting Scope Review

Thanks again, That's the decider for me. Hopefully, I'll not be careless and break it.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    That lack of eye relief is what killed the Barskas for us. Safety glasses at the range = hard to use Barska. They aren't horrible scopes, there's just better ones at the same (or a smidge higher) price.
    thanks for the comment.

It was free. Hard to beat the price. I figure I will be checking groups during a period I am not shooting, and if I'm sighting in a rifle, I'm doing it at the $4 DNR range :)

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    That was a good read and very timely for me since I'm in the market for a spotting scope. The Alpen is in the price range I'm comfortable with. I'm curious about your (and others') thoughts on straight vs. angled eyepiece. A little bit of internet research shows there doesn't seem to be a concensus - there are strong proponents for both. I'll be using it off a bench.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I went with Alan's advice on angled and i'm glad i did. i can rotate it a lot and i can change the angles and height easily so i dont have to crane my neck as much as i would have to with a straight eyepeice.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thanks again, That's the decider for me. Hopefully, I'll not be careless and break it.

You made the right choice, keep in mind a lifetime warranty is only as good as the company behind it. If the company has lots of stipulation's, or goes belly up, you have a warranty worth zilch. Keep in mind about 30 new optics companies come on the market every year, and very few last over 2 years.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    You made the right choice, keep in mind a lifetime warranty is only as good as the company behind it. If the company has lots of stipulation's, or goes belly up, you have a warranty worth zilch. Keep in mind about 30 new optics companies come on the market every year, and very few last over 2 years.

Thanks again... you and sbu have really gone the "extra" mile helping me and others. When I can afford it, my business is yours. I'll be needing a 1-6x HD II for that Tavor. Nothing else will do after looking through one. Then there's the CZ 452. Then the... ?

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    Thanks for the response.

After reading your post about 3 times I'm about to spring for a Rampage.
    What differences did you find between the X60 and the X80?
    As a novice I would expect better low performance from the X80.

Thanks again for the timely post.

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    What are the options for eyepieces marked in MOA or mildot? With Vortex it looks like you need to step up to the Razor or Viper and buy a separate eyepiece. Their website doesn't show separate eyepieces for the Diamondback. I'm not sure if there are any options for the other brand scopes. When shooting steel or prairie dogs it'd be nice to have a spotter calling out corrections in MOA or mildots.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    That was a good read and very timely for me since I'm in the market for a spotting scope. The Alpen is in the price range I'm comfortable with. I'm curious about your (and others') thoughts on straight vs. angled eyepiece. A little bit of internet research shows there doesn't seem to be a concensus - there are strong proponents for both. I'll be using it off a bench.

Opinions vary. I like angled on a scope that can be rotated (spun) to offer different presentations to the viewer. It's also easier for multiple viewers of different heights to use without touching the tripod. The straight eyepiece has is quicker to get on target. It's really just personal preference.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...

Alan is right on. I'm a rebel, which is why I would try Levenhuk. The Konus is the solid choice.

Also, Levenhuk is a publicly traded company that has been around a few years. But does that mean they will be in ten? Both the Levenhuk and Konus are copies of a more expensive scope, who knew? ;)

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    Thanks for the response.

After reading your post about 3 times I'm about to spring for a Rampage.
    What differences did you find between the X60 and the X80?
    As a novice I would expect better low performance from the X80.

Thanks again for the timely post.

The 80 lets in more light and therefore has a better low light image. The difference is enough to warrant the price of the 80 in my mind.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    What are the options for eyepieces marked in MOA or mildot? With Vortex it looks like you need to step up to the Razor or Viper and buy a separate eyepiece. Their website doesn't show separate eyepieces for the Diamondback. I'm not sure if there are any options for the other brand scopes. When shooting steel or prairie dogs it'd be nice to have a spotter calling out corrections in MOA or mildots.

I wasn't looking for mil-dot scopes, but I did notice a few. Alan would be the one to ask in reference to Vortex. Kowa has them, you have to request it. Since we were looking for a "short range" affordable spotter, that reticle just wasn't a concern. I wish I could be more help. I do know that some "name brand" scopes offer it, and for some it's special order. You will have to investigate this yourself I'm afraid! Please let us know what you find out. Thanks for the comment.

Last edited:

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I just had a first look through the Konuspot80 I picked up from Optics Planet for $202 (shipped). It arrived in perfect condition and initial impression is it's very well built. I can't imagine anyone with even remotely realistic expectations being disappointed with this spotting scope at this price. Best I can say is that if I'd looked through it in a store I'd have still bought it. I'd rate the image a solid 93/100 at 20x and 88/100 at 60x (totally subjective and I'm a tough critic). There's chromatic aberration that sneaks in as the magnification is turned up, but it's not a big deal unless you have a very high-contrast situation such as a dark object against bright sky. Really pleased--we'll see how it goes at the range next.

Edit: It's a bit large... you probably won't want to hike with this :)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I just had a first look through the Konuspot80 I picked up from Optics Planet for $202 (shipped). It arrived in perfect condition and initial impression is it's very well built. I can't imagine anyone with even remotely realistic expectations being disappointed with this spotting scope at this price. Best I can say is that if I'd looked through it in a store I'd have still bought it. I'd rate the image a solid 93/100 at 20x and 88/100 at 60x (totally subjective and I'm a tough critic). There's chromatic aberration that sneaks in as the magnification is turned up, but it's not a big deal unless you have a very high-contrast situation such as a dark object against bright sky. Really pleased--we'll see how it goes at the range next.

Edit: It's a bit large... you probably won't want to hike with this :)

Where the Konus falls a bit short is catching vapor trail, it can be done, but its not easy. Most shooters never see a vapor trail anyways, so its a mute point. I wish I could stock Konus spotter's but they want you to stock their scopes as well, and their scopes and no where near my standards for sales, but I bet Ive sold 50-100 spotters for them.

Top Bottom