A Good Spotting Scope On A Budget? First time buyer’s guide…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    I just had a first look through the Konuspot80 I picked up from Optics Planet for $202 (shipped). It arrived in perfect condition and initial impression is it's very well built. I can't imagine anyone with even remotely realistic expectations being disappointed with this spotting scope at this price. < > Edit: It's a bit large... you probably won't want to hike with this :)

Congrats on your purchase! I am sure you will enjoy it! And no, it is not a hiking companion! Lol

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    On that note, Alan: what attribute is most important in an optic for seeing bullet trace? I've only used a couple of different optics to watch trace, and those were in the Army. Seems like the spotting scope (forget what kind it was, but the value was around $400-500) was not as good as the Steiner binoculars I used on a different occasion. Now maybe that was due to differing atmospheric conditions on different days. But optical clarity seems like it is important. Maybe the wavelengths of light they transmit more readily played a part. I wonder if the way those Steiners focus has anything to do with it as well. Just curious.

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    Thanks for the response.

After reading your post about 3 times I'm about to spring for a Rampage.
    What differences did you find between the X60 and the X80?
    As a novice I would expect better low performance from the X80.

Thanks again for the timely post.

I've screwed up again.

I've been leaning towards a decent spotter fro some time with out doing much toward that end.

After reading the original post 3 time I thought I would find a Rampage to bring home.
    Then I screwed up. I started looking for sources and prices for the Konus.
    Primarily because of the accolades for the one that just works.

Now I really need to find the two at a range where I can have a look.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've screwed up again.

I've been leaning towards a decent spotter fro some time with out doing much toward that end.

After reading the original post 3 time I thought I would find a Rampage to bring home.

Buy the Konus.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    On that note, Alan: what attribute is most important in an optic for seeing bullet trace? I've only used a couple of different optics to watch trace, and those were in the Army. Seems like the spotting scope (forget what kind it was, but the value was around $400-500) was not as good as the Steiner binoculars I used on a different occasion. Now maybe that was due to differing atmospheric conditions on different days. But optical clarity seems like it is important. Maybe the wavelengths of light they transmit more readily played a part. I wonder if the way those Steiners focus has anything to do with it as well. Just curious.

Its a lot of things. Mainly its the glass's ability to pick up small details at longer range (keep in mind you wont see vapor at 100 yds unless its with a 22LR and even then its near impossible). A large part of it is how the focus adjusts. Some focus wheel's have very gross adjustments. The focus should be set for about 100 yds closer than the target is to maximize ability to pick up the bullet passing.

The stiner's were easier to pick up vapor because they were lower zoom than the spotter. When folks try and pick up vapor trail they always try and zoom in, and that is not a good thing. You need a wind FOV so you can catch the trail earlier. If your zoomed in trying to see bullet holes in paper you wont have enough time to catch much less trace vapor trail. I can actually call hit or miss long before the bullet get where its going after a few shots because Ive tracked the trail enough that I know if the bullet is not where it should be. This may sound like internet BS, but enough people on this sight have seen me call it way early that can vouch for it.

Long story short if you want to catch vapor trail repeatably, you need to spend more money than the Konus. If you want to see holes in paper, splash off target, etc the Konus will work. If you have x budget, and x is less than 400 dollars don't get wrapped up in the research, and latest, and greatest BUY THE KONUS. I follow every new product that hits the market, and if something better comes along Ill know about it, and I'm always happy to answer questions about products I dont carry. Most folks have a job besides following the optics market, and there is to many products to sift through in your spare time.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I've screwed up again.

If you or anyone else wants to meet up to have a look through the Konuspot80 at MCF&G, I'd be glad to try to work that out.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Its a lot of things. Mainly its the glass's ability to pick up small details at longer range (keep in mind you wont see vapor at 100 yds unless its with a 22LR and even then its near impossible). A large part of it is how the focus adjusts. Some focus wheel's have very gross adjustments. The focus should be set for about 100 yds closer than the target is to maximize ability to pick up the bullet passing.

The stiner's were easier to pick up vapor because they were lower zoom than the spotter. When folks try and pick up vapor trail they always try and zoom in, and that is not a good thing. You need a wind FOV so you can catch the trail earlier. If your zoomed in trying to see bullet holes in paper you wont have enough time to catch much less trace vapor trail. I can actually call hit or miss long before the bullet get where its going after a few shots because Ive tracked the trail enough that I know if the bullet is not where it should be. This may sound like internet BS, but enough people on this sight have seen me call it way early that can vouch for it.

Long story short if you want to catch vapor trail repeatably, you need to spend more money than the Konus. If you want to see holes in paper, splash off target, etc the Konus will work. If you have x budget, and x is less than 400 dollars don't get wrapped up in the research, and latest, and greatest BUY THE KONUS. I follow every new product that hits the market, and if something better comes along Ill know about it, and I'm always happy to answer questions about products I dont carry. Most folks have a job besides following the optics market, and there is to many products to sift through in your spare time.

I've only watch 5.56 and 7.62x51. I can't remember ever picking up trace on a shot shorter than 300. The trajectory is so flat and flight time is so short it's almost impossible. Thanks for the info. And that isn't internet BS about calling hits from watching trace. I've done it, but it does take some getting used to, and I'm definitely out of practice. Setting the focus short of the target has the added benefit of helping read mirage as well.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    I've screwed up again.

You can't go wrong with the Konus. Use the extra money as a "savings start" towards a good tripod!
    Like I said in the first post, the Konus was the best performer under $400.

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    My thoughts are that it needs some mass and preferably more than the scope.
    This will help to lower the center of gravity of the assembly.
    I've read that the balance point on the Konus is not at the mounting point, so lowering the CG would be beneficial.

I'll be using it for range work only and maybe for some photography.

I don't want to break the bank but, I don't want to skimp either.

After doing some looking I've found a Barska that has some mass and a fluid head for about $160.

I'll be doing some more browsing.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    After doing some looking I've found a Barska that has some mass and a fluid head for about $160.

Bad idea. Weight is not everything, the tightness in the joints plays a bigger role than wieght, and thats the week spot in the Barska spotter.

I run a Ewing, but they are crazy expensive. I spend a ton of time behind my glass so I can justify it. The Jim Ownes model was not an option when I bought my Ewing 15 years ago. If it were, I would have bought one. Its not a pack stand, but its a hell of a range stand, and its roughly the same money as the Barska. My ewing was 300 ish, the Jim Ownes is not as good, but its in the ballpark for 1/2 the price.

sbu sailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    South of Center...
    I hear you, Alan. My tripod and head together are about 450 bucks by today's pricing. I've had the set up for several years as part of a celestial observing platform. Giottos are geared more towards photography than shooting. I don't know what I would buy if I had to replace it. I could maybe justify your Ewing. ;)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I had my ewing in 30 MPH winds. I was spotting from standing as I always do. It wasnt moving off target at 1k in the slightest. I walked away from it with it up with no fear of it getting blown over. Mine has a 10ish LB weight that screws into the bottom that helps a ton.

Also Im 6' 2". Not overly tall, but not short either. A lot of stands that advertise working in the standing position wont work for me due to not having enough height. I paid 10 bucks extra for another threaded section of rod for insurance on the Ewing, and didn't need it.

Top Bottom