• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I just ordered one of these for my Century C308 and wondered if anyone here has any experience with them. It seems like a well-though out system, with the way it uses the rear sight to keep the mount from walking down the receiver top as with most other mounts for these rifles. I'm just not crazy about the existing sights (no real windage adjustment to them) and as my eyes get older, I'm appreciating scopes more and more.

Anyhow, this is what I ordered: https://mfiap.com/i-18702354-mfi-ce...ce-includes-usps-priority-mail-insurance.html

Next I'll have to find a scope for it. :)

Last edited:

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    There were 2 early models CIA built. I had the stainless steel receiver that had the sight saddle molded in the upper. I used a clamp on style that used that lug. The other model Cetme used a sheet metal receiver that did not have that lug, the mount your link goes to is perfect for that model. Now there is a 3rd newer gen that has an optics rail welded onto it, this upper is supposedly built by PTR. I had the PTR 32 and just used a canted scope ring mount. Hope this helps.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There were 2 early models CIA built. I had the stainless steel receiver that had the sight saddle molded in the upper. I used a clamp on style that used that lug. The other model Cetme used a sheet metal receiver that did not have that lug, the mount your link goes to is perfect for that model. Now there is a 3rd newer gen that has an optics rail welded onto it, this upper is supposedly built by PTR. I had the PTR 32 and just used a canted scope ring mount. Hope this helps.

Yep, the website for this mount specifically mentioned that sight saddle I think (they called it a "recoil stop") and made it clear that this mount was NOT for those rifles. Ordered a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40mm scope from AA Optics last night. Hopefully both the scope and mount will arrive this week.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Got the scope and the mount. After mocking up where the scope will be in relation to the mount and rear sight, I've decided to go with a cantilever mount as opposed to a set of rings. It needs to sit 1.375" above the rail (measured from top of rail to center of scope tube) and my options were limited when it came to rings. I measured one of my Aero Precision cantilever mounts on one of my ARs and it's the perfect height, so we shall see. Ordered this one off ebay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aero-Preci...798906&hash=item3fcc90556f:g:7VcAAOSwgkZc7uT6

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I'm curious to see this setup, DD. The C308's that I've seen all have the pic rail welded to the top of the receiver. I was unaware that they'd build ones without it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm curious to see this setup, DD. The C308's that I've seen all have the pic rail welded to the top of the receiver. I was unaware that they'd build ones without it.

I'll post a pic tomorrow. Mine's an earlier model. I think the ones with the rail are the latest iteration. This mount looks awesome, btw. I think it's going to work great.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I'll post a pic tomorrow. Mine's an earlier model. I think the ones with the rail are the latest iteration. This mount looks awesome, btw. I think it's going to work great.

Cool! Looking forward to seeing it. Curious how its appearance (especially with the mount) compares to the ones with the factory-mounted rail.

I've heard conflicting reports on the C308. Lots of trash talk on the webernets, but the couple of folks I know who have them have nothing but praise to offer.

How has yours been?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Okay, I got a second wind. :):

Here is the mount:

zfXbyfX.jpg

And here is a "mock up" of how I see the scope sitting on the rifle:

TPWEpoA.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Cool! Looking forward to seeing it. Curious how its appearance (especially with the mount) compares to the ones with the factory-mounted rail.

I've heard conflicting reports on the C308. Lots of trash talk on the webernets, but the couple of folks I know who have them have nothing but praise to offer.

How has yours been?

I haven't shot mine a lot - only 2 mags through it - but it ran just fine. Nice shooter. They do fling the brass though! And the fluted chamber does some funky stuff to it too. I'm trying to use my Berdan primed ammo (non-corrosive) in it so I don't need to care about the brass.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I think I will be once I get the scope mounted. The older I get, the more scopes appeal to me! :):

Yeah, I was bending CM's ear about that one a couple days ago. Time to start familiarizing myself with optics - ain't gettin' any younger and my beloved iron sites are getting a bit blurry.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Yeah, I was bending CM's ear about that one a couple days ago. Time to start familiarizing myself with optics - ain't gettin' any younger and my beloved iron sites are getting a bit blurry.

Oh yeah. Probably the majority of my guns are milsurp rifles. The Mauser sights are horrible, even though the rifles are nice! And forget about old pistol sights!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    What CETMEs I have are cast stainless. With sheet metal there are occasionally issues with mounts pinching the receiver if the mounts are tightened too much. A lot depends on the mount design. Never a problem with cast. Maybe this new design will not have that issue.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What CETMEs I have are cast stainless. With sheet metal there are occasionally issues with mounts pinching the receiver if the mounts are tightened too much. A lot depends on the mount design. Never a problem with cast. Maybe this new design will not have that issue.

I was a little concerned about that too, but I was careful when snugging it up, so no issues. With the way it uses the rear sight as an "anchor", there really is no reason to really crank it tight.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    DD - did it originally come with the wood stock? I know the one's listed over the last few years usually came with polymer stocks/handgaurds.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    DD - did it originally come with the wood stock? I know the one's listed over the last few years usually came with polymer stocks/handgaurds.

I bought it used, so it did come with it (to me), but I suspect it originally had the polymer buttstock. The forearm I believe is original to the gun.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have 2 0f the newer c308's that have the rail on them, have no issues at all, yep they really throw brass out there too, my son and i using scopes on both will bust clay pigeons all day long anywhere from 100 too 200 yards out. pretty good shooters for battle rifles!

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I have 2 0f the newer c308's that have the rail on them, have no issues at all, yep they really throw brass out there too, my son and i using scopes on both will bust clay pigeons all day long anywhere from 100 too 200 yards out. pretty good shooters for battle rifles!

That's what I hear from everyone I know who owns one. Lots of internet noise about whether or not these are reliable, but first-hand accounts all give good reviews.

Thanks!

Top Bottom