Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Leadeye View Post
    Made right here in Indiana.
    Yessir...Greensburg.
    They'll only appreciate in value over time, although I'm pretty sure you'll hang onto them unless things were to really get dire.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldpink View Post
    Yessir...Greensburg.
    They'll only appreciate in value over time, although I'm pretty sure you'll hang onto them unless things were to really get dire.
    Greenfield actually, easy to mix up, I had to look it up myself to be sure! In fact, when I was looking them up, I discovered that they were made in Evansville, Greenfield, and most recently Knightstown. More info here: Blue Book of Gun Values - CENTURY MFG., INC.

A friend owned one for a short time, but he sold it before I got a chance to shoot it!
    "2016: The year that hackers became more trusted than government or reporters."

Plinker

User Info Menu

I have some new winchester 45-70 brass, 190 pieces. I also have 2 single molds, one is 520 grain. I dont want to put them in the classified's. I would like to see someone from this post get them. $ 65.00 shipped, pm me please.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Does anyone have info on the short 45-70? Specifically, how to shorten the case to 1.8" that the average reloader can perform to create a few rounds to hunt with. I have a Marlin 1895 circa 1972 w/microgroove rifling so cast bullets are not a good option. I do not want to modify the Marlin to function (cycle) only the 1.8" cartridge. Accordingly, I have procured a quantity of Speer 450gr .458 SPFN bullets with a cannelure that will accommodate seating the bullet out to close to regular 45-70 COAL which should allow the short case to cycle in the unmodified Marlin. Any info or comments would be greatly appreciated.

User Info Menu

https://fox59.com/2018/08/27/aggress...artment-warns/

I took great delight in pointing out to the wife how glad she should be that I have the 45-70 when this happened. What if a wild angry bison came along when the grandkids were here. Papaw would have to shoot it with the 45-70.

Expert

User Info Menu

I wasn't aware there was a 'Movement' to get rid of .45-70....?

Good knock down power, cartridges in all kinds of weights & types, several dead blow hammer reliable formats to send the rounds through still available...
    Shoots home cast lead like a champ, common primers & propellants, reloads great,
    What's not to like?

User Info Menu

Yeah, like the only thing wrong with a 45-70 is that when your cases get old and split at the mouth there's not a revolver so that you can trim the cases back an inch or so and keep using them.

User Info Menu

I finally found an 1895SBL at a local gun show not long ago. Haven't gotten it to the range yet but if velociraptors become a problem, I have the solution.
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Old School Cowboy View Post
    Does anyone have info on the short 45-70? Specifically, how to shorten the case to 1.8" that the average reloader can perform to create a few rounds to hunt with. I have a Marlin 1895 circa 1972 w/microgroove rifling so cast bullets are not a good option. I do not want to modify the Marlin to function (cycle) only the 1.8" cartridge. Accordingly, I have procured a quantity of Speer 450gr .458 SPFN bullets with a cannelure that will accommodate seating the bullet out to close to regular 45-70 COAL which should allow the short case to cycle in the unmodified Marlin. Any info or comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Should we assume you are hunting on public land then?
    If not, just use the standard .45-70gvt factory rounds.
    Dormant U.S.Marine/ NRA Benefactor-Life

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6