• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Most places sell it, but it's not cheap. A good reason to start into reloading. Hang on to the cases either way.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Seconded on what Leadeye posted.
    This is one of the more expensive factory loads, enough so that you'll realize the cost savings to justify your initial investment in a reloading setup (if you don't already have one) more rapidly than you will with most other types of loads.
    Of course, if you already have a reloading setup, you'll only need dies and a shell holder, then a supply of .45-70 brass and .458 diameter bullets, and possibly powder and primers if your existing stocks of powder/primers are not suitable for .45-70 loading.
    On top of that, there is a separate category of loading data in the manuals that you can use if you want to see the much greater potential this cartridge has than it has with most factory loads if your .45-70 rifle is one of the following: Marlin 1895, Winchester 1886, Ruger No. 1, Winchester 1885 High Wall, or the Siamese Mauser.
    Of course, you can just use the standard data in any of those rifles, but the extra power data is available for anyone who might need it, especially for shutting down a Grizzly bear charge!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I don't reload. Where is the best place to purchase 45-70 ammo?

Just be advised that 45-70 is not legal for deer hunting in Indiana, unless the cases have been shortened to 1.800" and custom handloads made for that case length. :twocents:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just be advised that 45-70 is not legal for deer hunting in Indiana, unless the cases have been shortened to 1.800" and custom handloads made for that case length. :twocents:

Factory loaded .45-70govt is perfectly legal for hunting deer in Indiana in a pistol configuration.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I know what my reloads feel like out of my rifle. I have no interest in shooting them in a handgun...

One of my favorite all-time quotes, in the gun world, comes from the Sierra reloading manual, when discussing the 45/70 out of a Contender pistol.

"At no point in this reloading data was recoil not objectionable." :D

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Yessir...Greensburg.
    They'll only appreciate in value over time, although I'm pretty sure you'll hang onto them unless things were to really get dire.

Greenfield actually, easy to mix up, I had to look it up myself to be sure! In fact, when I was looking them up, I discovered that they were made in Evansville, Greenfield, and most recently Knightstown. More info here: Blue Book of Gun Values - CENTURY MFG., INC.

A friend owned one for a short time, but he sold it before I got a chance to shoot it! :(

ilcaveman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    elizabeth
    I have some new winchester 45-70 brass, 190 pieces. I also have 2 single molds, one is 520 grain. I dont want to put them in the classified's. I would like to see someone from this post get them. $ 65.00 shipped, pm me please.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2018
    Lawrence
    Does anyone have info on the short 45-70? Specifically, how to shorten the case to 1.8" that the average reloader can perform to create a few rounds to hunt with. I have a Marlin 1895 circa 1972 w/microgroove rifling so cast bullets are not a good option. I do not want to modify the Marlin to function (cycle) only the 1.8" cartridge. Accordingly, I have procured a quantity of Speer 450gr .458 SPFN bullets with a cannelure that will accommodate seating the bullet out to close to regular 45-70 COAL which should allow the short case to cycle in the unmodified Marlin. Any info or comments would be greatly appreciated.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I wasn't aware there was a 'Movement' to get rid of .45-70....?

Good knock down power, cartridges in all kinds of weights & types, several dead blow hammer reliable formats to send the rounds through still available...
    Shoots home cast lead like a champ, common primers & propellants, reloads great,
    What's not to like?

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yeah, like the only thing wrong with a 45-70 is that when your cases get old and split at the mouth there's not a revolver so that you can trim the cases back an inch or so and keep using them.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I finally found an 1895SBL at a local gun show not long ago. Haven't gotten it to the range yet but if velociraptors become a problem, I have the solution.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Does anyone have info on the short 45-70? Specifically, how to shorten the case to 1.8" that the average reloader can perform to create a few rounds to hunt with. I have a Marlin 1895 circa 1972 w/microgroove rifling so cast bullets are not a good option. I do not want to modify the Marlin to function (cycle) only the 1.8" cartridge. Accordingly, I have procured a quantity of Speer 450gr .458 SPFN bullets with a cannelure that will accommodate seating the bullet out to close to regular 45-70 COAL which should allow the short case to cycle in the unmodified Marlin. Any info or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Should we assume you are hunting on public land then?
    If not, just use the standard .45-70gvt factory rounds.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom