• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I bet there is a lot more to the story that is not being told. Just another way to instill fear of a pitbull which is a joke in the first place.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Actually it did have a history of hostility. It attacked a neighbor's dog just two weeks earlier and that case is still pending against the owner(s) according to the story I saw on WTHR. Not going to flame you, but I don't think it's the breed as much as it is the "breeding" and the environment in which it's been raised.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I know everybody says it's not the breed but it seems every time there is a story like this it is a pit bull. I know there are dog attacks by other breeds so no need in posting a bunch of links but seems like it happens often with pits and the result normally seems much more serious than just a bite.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    Mine to. Ever notice how it's usually the owners of those breeds that defend them as nice, kind, gentle dogs.

Same thing happens with criminals. The family always says they are so good and would never hurt a fly.

I don't think it's the breed at all. Having been around them and other dogs throughout my life. I see nothing that makes them any better or worse than any other breed. The problem is worthless turds get them to make them look tough and either train them to be mean or not train them at all. The same thing would be being said about golden retrievers if the same type of people thought it was cool to own them or that it made them look more badass. Also I think the idea that they do most of the attacks is kind of not worth buying into in a way because it seems that anymore almost everyone has a pit bull. Due to the prevalence of the breed these days in my opinion (look in shelters and on craigslist or in almost anyone's yards), it seems that pit bulls are almost the most prevalent dog as a whole. This means more people have them. The more people that have something means that the likelihood of worthless idiots having them is way higher.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have seen probably 100+ dog bites in the Er. Pit bull is probably 30-40% of them.
    It would be interesting to see a profile of the owners of those dogs. They are a big strong breed, and unfortunately there are a lot of people that like to use them as some kind of penis substitute if you catch my meaning. Unfortunately, because they are strong and have powerful jaws, when they do bite, it does a lot of damage.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's a family pet, no history of hostility. Yet it jumped a gate and killed the kid.

Infant from Indianapolis killed by dog in Ohio | Fox 59

i remain skeptical of the breed. Flame suit on.

At the same risk of being flamed I do not at all care for the breed.
    Yes, many have stated they are great dogs.
    Personal experience has been less than acceptable.
    Blame the breed or the owners......Both I would say.
    I know of some bat:poop: crazy dogs from other breeds but time and again PB's are doing this. Owner should be held accountable as well.

BuddieReigns

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Muncie
    Also as a child I was attacked by a loose shih tzu that happened to run in my yard. Obviously that wasn't a huge deal, but I've had probably 4-5 loose pits run into my yard in my life who were friendly and didn't bother me at all.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Baby's dog-mauling death in Ohio ruled an accident | www.daytondailynews.com

all stories from Dayton paper refer to dog as a terrier. Pit bull never mentioned. Interesting. This dog did have several incidents recently. How the woman escapes charges should be interesting.

the dog had not been classified as a nuisance despite one bit and a failed attack.

the jack hole pitbull owners choose the breed because they also think the dogs are "tough" or whatever. It's not a coincidence these dogs reside in the neighborhoods they do.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Also as a child I was attacked by a loose shih tzu that happened to run in my yard. Obviously that wasn't a huge deal, but I've had probably 4-5 loose pits run into my yard in my life who were friendly and didn't bother me at all.

Unfortunately we have had 5 or 6 get in our yard and they were not gentle dogs. They were straight up aggressive.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    There are more incidents with smaller dogs than pitbulls. They reason you dont read about these story is because its not a pitbull.

Just curious here but if a 3 year old gets to a gun and some how shoots someone...whos at fault the 3 year old or the irresponsible parent or gun owner?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Baby's dog-mauling death in Ohio ruled an accident | www.daytondailynews.com

all stories from Dayton paper refer to dog as a terrier. Pit bull never mentioned. Interesting. This dog did have several incidents recently. How the woman escapes charges should be interesting.

the dog had not been classified as a nuisance despite one bit and a failed attack.

the jack hole pitbull owners choose the breed because they also think the dogs are "tough" or whatever. It's not a coincidence these dogs reside in the neighborhoods they do.

Hence my comment earlier about a profile of the owners.

As for the breed in the story, I believe it was a Staffordshire Terrier, one of the breeds (along with American Bulldogs and Bull Terriers) that get lumped in under the pit bull umbrella.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm sorry. I don't doubt it. I don't believe they're angels, but I also don't think they're necessarily devils.

We are in tune with a dog reflecting his owners attitude. That and what the hell were these animals doing loose. Word is that some of them are dumped in the area by folks that can not have dogs or bit off to big a hunk.
    I really hate to totally blame a dog if it is abused/hungry/sick or all 3. Thing is, we have 4 G-daughters that run the yard and if one of these mis-guided/poorly trained and aggressive dogs were lurking and hurt them the carnage I would wreck upon whomever owned the animal would land me in jail.
    Keep your dogs under control. They are merely dogs. They are not Rhode scholars just dogs.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Glad to see many think of these things in the proper perspective. I have no issue with someone being prejudiced against the breeds which are called pitbulls. Anytime one has a problem it makes the news, they look intimidating and they are powerful and capable of inflicting sever damage. You can say the same thing about a lot of people, appearances can be deceiving. Several of the breeds which are now lumped in to the pitbull moniker were once considered the best family pets around, anyone ever watch the Little Rascals? That dog would be called a pitbull today.

We adopted Daphne six months ago. She is deaf and very sweet but she is also very powerful and pretty intimidating to other people if she starts barking. She took to my daughter and my wife immediately and doesn't like to be out of sight of either of them which is just how I like it. She plays rough with me but has never come close to biting me with enough force to injure. I have a tremendous amount of faith in her ability to protect my family when I'm away and I like it just like that.
    imagejpg1_zps54dde164.jpg

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I was mauled as a child by a German shepherd . I have several family members been bitten by Shepherds, Labs, Collie, and numerous "ankle biters." I have owned dogs for 60+ years of probably 10 or more breeds... From Cocker Poohs to Newfs. Have NEVER had one bite anyone. That being said, I currently own 2 Pitties and they are not my first. The VERY BEST dog I have ever owned was a Pit that I found lying injured in the ditch ( due to irresponsible owner). Took to vet, nursed back to health, and attempted to find a home. Didn't and ended up keeping. Was "concerned" due to what I had heard & read. Talk over with my vet and she reassured me. I have since became somewhat of a spokesman for the breed. I have "rescued"more than one . That being said, they are definetly not for everyone, especially irresponsible owners. I do feel that the breed in and of itself has gotten a bad rap, just like Dobies a couple decades back. A lot of owners in "the hood ", dog fighters, etc and the press have contributed. All breeds have the potential to be dangerous. Pits have tremendous jaw strength due to their breeding/ development in the past and can do tremendous damage. However all things being equal I do not feel are necessarily more dangerous as a breed than others. Much if not most of their "problems" can be directly traced to their owner. Proper screening, proper training, proper super vision, etc is the key. Just like any other animal be it 4 legs or 2, individuals can be just plan dangerous but upbringing (parenting) is a huge part.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    As a side note, a couple ferocious sounding barking, snarling pits are not what the average bad guy wants to deal with in a home & a darn good "early warning system." Mine fit that description but ( ask my neighbors/ friends ) are more like to knock you down & pin you by licking your face than injure you in any other manner .

Top Bottom