• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    In my travels I have encountered quite a few pit bulls which pose little threat unless doggie slobber is harmful. I have encountered exactly one which was dangerous, and very dangerous at that, especially when that stupid little bastard son of my mom's neighbor let the dog run loose(!) knowing that he had deliberately trained it to be mean. I about had a coronary (and simultaneously reaching for my gun and exiting the great outdoors) the first time I looked over at that dog and saw that it was not restrained in any way.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Each breed of dog was originally bred for a purpose, and part of that purpose requires a certain general temperament.

SURE, how a dog is raised matters too.
    But to act like breed makes ZERO difference in how a dog acts and it's ALL upbringing is just not right.

For example, check this link out from the American Kennel Club (AKC).
    Look up info about the different breeds.

American Kennel Club - Breeds

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    From your link:

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier draws its character of indomitable courage, high intelligence, and tenacity from his past history. The breed originated in the nineteenth century when coal miners in Staffordshire, England, wanted a small, fast dog. They combined the Bulldog with a small local terrier similar to the Manchester Terrier. The result was the Staffordshire Bull Terrier that we know today.

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is extremely courageous and obedient, highly intelligent and affectionate with a sense of humor. This, coupled with its affection for its friends, and children in particular, its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, makes it a foremost all-purpose dog. He looks forward to daily exercise, and his powerful jaws enjoy a supply of sturdy chew toys. While he is a sweet-tempered, affectionate dog, his strength and determination require an experienced owner who can work with him in a firm, but gentle way. The Staffie's coat is short and smooth, and needs only a quick brushing once a week.

Doesn't sound as if it was bred for aggression

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Breed generalizations have little to do with specific pairings in certain lineages to produce particular traits. There's a reason Yorkies aren't the dog of choice for illicit dog fighting schemes. Not to mention, it's highly unlikely that particular source is going to present an unflattering portrait.

The pit has been served poorly by irresponsible breeders looking to make a buck off the popularity. But it's stupid to argue that there is no aggression/violence selected for in the pairings. Unfortunately, that bit of nature tends to remain in the lines if not actively bred out of the line. The sheer number of pit lines in the past 20 years have created ample opportunity for that "mean gene" to spread and wreak its havoc. Nurture only has so much influence on nature.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    From your link:

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier draws its character of indomitable courage, high intelligence, and tenacity from his past history. The breed originated in the nineteenth century when coal miners in Staffordshire, England, wanted a small, fast dog. They combined the Bulldog with a small local terrier similar to the Manchester Terrier. The result was the Staffordshire Bull Terrier that we know today.

The Staffordshire Bull Terrier is extremely courageous and obedient, highly intelligent and affectionate with a sense of humor. This, coupled with its affection for its friends, and children in particular, its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, makes it a foremost all-purpose dog. He looks forward to daily exercise, and his powerful jaws enjoy a supply of sturdy chew toys. While he is a sweet-tempered, affectionate dog, his strength and determination require an experienced owner who can work with him in a firm, but gentle way. The Staffie's coat is short and smooth, and needs only a quick brushing once a week.

Doesn't sound as if it was bred for aggression

I didn't make that claim.
    My only point is to dispel the myth that breed makes ZERO difference.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Pitbulls are today's rottweilers, which were yesterday's dobermans, which were last week's GSDs and so on and so forth. All of those dogs were seen as dangerous at one point. When a dog becomes popularized as a "tough" dog a lot of less than upstanding individuals get that breed. A lot of hose individuals are the type that don't nurture or train their animal and let them run loose. That right there is why there are so many pitbull bites.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Pitbulls are today's rottweilers, which were yesterday's dobermans, which were last week's GSDs and so on and so forth. All of those dogs were seen as dangerous at one point. When a dog becomes popularized as a "tough" dog a lot of less than upstanding individuals get that breed. A lot of hose individuals are the type that don't nurture or train their animal and let them run loose. That right there is why there are so many pitbull bites.

Firemen don't make good dog owners? :):

Seriously, I know you meant 'those', but I couldn't pass up the opportunity! :)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    There are more incidents with smaller dogs than pitbulls. They reason you dont read about these story is because its not a pitbull.

Uh, no. The reason you don't read about them is because they rarely result in serious injury or death.

You can bet that if a cockapoo kills a 7 month old, it'll make the news.

Like many, I have been around several pit bulls. Only bad one had a bad owner, the ones with good owners were big babies.

2001FZ1

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Indy
    Actually it did have a history of hostility. It attacked a neighbor's dog just two weeks earlier and that case is still pending against the owner(s) according to the story I saw on WTHR. Not going to flame you, but I don't think it's the breed as much as it is the "breeding" and the environment in which it's been raised.

Hostility towards another dog is different. Some dogs get along fine and some do not and will fight. Who is to say this pitbull in question started the agression?

My dogs killed the neighbors pug a few years back after it came into my yard and started fighting with the chocolate lab which is gentle as can be. She was trying to get away from it. The 120lb black lab came to the rescue and ended that pug's life pretty quickly. So does my black lab have a history of hostility now?

BTW, I haven't seen a picture of this pitbull. Most times no picture = not a true pitbull.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    BTW, I haven't seen a picture of this pitbull. Most times no picture = not a true pitbull.

800px-American_Staffordshire_Terrier.jpg

TheEngineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Down South
    There are more incidents with smaller dogs than pitbulls. They reason you dont read about these story is because its not a pitbull.

Just curious here but if a 3 year old gets to a gun and some how shoots someone...whos at fault the 3 year old or the irresponsible parent or gun owner?

Uh, no. The reason you don't read about them is because they rarely result in serious injury or death.

You can bet that if a cockapoo kills a 7 month old, it'll make the news.

Like many, I have been around several pit bulls. Only bad one had a bad owner, the ones with good owners were big babies.

I think the reason you don't read about it is the small dogs don't do enough damage to constitute a trip to the ER...where as hoosierdoc has already said, he sees mostly "pitbull" bites (in quotes because i doubt as many are actual pitbulls or what people think are pitbulls...a lot of breeds get grouped together).

The reason you hear these stories and see these dog bites in the hospital is because the pit has one of the strongest bites...235 lbs of force...that can do some serious damage (but so can a lab...the only dog to ever attack me and i have the scars on my face to prove it) That is the reason, but not the problem.

The problem is that every wannabe thug in the country thinks that the pitbull is a status symbol instead of a living creature...like owning one gives them some sort of street cred :rolleyes: Most of these people aren't fit to take care of themselves, let alone a living thing...so then the dogs are neglected and raised to fear people. When the owners are eventually gone (locked up/dead/abandon the dog/etc.) the humane society (or other organizations) find the dogs and take them in, which leads to the second problem.

With the "dog market" being flooded with these mistreated dogs, you now have families (possibly like the one in the story) looking for a family pet and think that they can rehabilitated this dog by giving it a good home. And it may work, for awhile...but the damage has been done and stories like this one happen.

I am not denying that the pitbull is dangerous...it is #1 on the list for death caused for a reason (GSD is #8 if you're keeping score at home)...by im tired of people blaming an entire bread for the actions of a few. Just like not all gunowners go to Starbucks with an AR strapped to their back, not all Muslims are terrorists, and not all black people want to rob you (sorry some of you, but its true :nailbite:), not all pitbulls are going to kill you.

It is not the dogs fault...
    a_626_20140630124612.jpg

Edit: I should add that despite my feelings towards the depiction of the breed, I am truly sorry and saddened that this happened to the child.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom