• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    It is sad to hear of anyone being mauled to death by a dog . My friend has 4 pit bulls and all of which are inside dogs and they are big babies but he has never done anything but take good care of them . If his dog killed that infant , i may think different towards the breed , but IMHO , i think the person raising the dog has a lot to do with it. I do not know a single thing about the dogs owner , in which his or her dog killed this infant. I can't pass judgement on how that dog came to be or how it was raised . Just sad a child passed so early in life.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I don't care what kind of animal or breed it is. If a squirrel comes towards me or my family aggressively I'm gonna kill it. Have any animal you wish but realize YOU are responsible for all of its actions. If your animal kills or injures my kids I'm coming after you just like I would a rapist

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm confused as to why anyone is trying to claim a breed that was specifically bred for blood sport is a suitable and gentle house pet. :dunno:

But, hey I have problems with people owning retrievers and yet they have nothing to retrieve, or huskies and no sled to pull, or chow chows they never eat...

As to the story, good thing a cop was around or the dog might have been shot and INGO would be rioting in the streets again.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I'm confused as to why anyone is trying to claim a breed that was specifically bred for blood sport is a suitable and gentle house pet. :dunno:

But, hey I have problems with people owning retrievers and yet they have nothing to retrieve, or huskies and no sled to pull, or chow chows they never eat...

Last I checked, everyone's dogs (yes including the little purse dogs) are all originally bred from these mean suckers:

north-america-gray-wolf-625x450.jpg

Certainly some animals have greater levels of aggression than others based on breed, but treating them like they're unsuitable as pets simply owing to breed is ridiculous. I've owned Rottweilers that are bred from the Mastiffs the Romans used in actual combat to kill people, yet their greatest conquests have generally been rabbits and they have shown no aggression to people.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

The M16 and AK47 were specifically invented for combat troops yet we have plenty of people who feel they should be available for purchase at the local convenience store to anyone with the disposable income. Semi automatic versions are widely available and hugely popular yet we have some who attempt to label them as assault rifles which are good for nothing but killing people and should be banned in spite of the fact that there are millions of them in this country every year that kill nothing but paper.

Great argument.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    There are a few Pits in my neighborhood. One of their owners was mauled by a German Shepard when she was little and is afraid to death of them. Most people act as if I'm walking satan when they see us, but most if the time it's their little purse-pups who are the aggressors. My dog (boxer-pit) only barks at the doorbell and is very kind. She is a Vets for Pets adoption dog, so we don't know everything about her history, so we try to be responsible with her, especially around little children.

20130617_154130_zps5514316e.jpg

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Unfortunately we have had 5 or 6 get in our yard and they were not gentle dogs. They were straight up aggressive.
    Our 'white trash' neighbors at our old house had a pit bull. The dog was nice as could be to them and their family but when it would get loose [a weekly occurrence] it would try it's hardest to come through our fence to kill our dogs and my firearm cleared my holster a time or two just in case as she was very aggressive towards anybody but her own family. If she was on my property I was prepared to do what was necessary because in a hand to hand fight with the dog I would lose.

I'm glad it never came to that and I'm glad that they moved [and then we moved].

I've had attempted attacks on myself by various breeds of dogs but some I feel I could just kick as hard as I could in the face and others, such as this huge pit bull that lived next door, I would certainly have no chance against.

I know a lot of very nice pit bulls owned by people that have taken proper care of them and socialized them as you would any dog. I wouldn't say it's the breed but the environment as others have said.

Look at where there are most pit bulls - and I probably wouldn't enjoy being around those people any more than the dogs... Just saying.

Oh - that said I did call animal control/police every time the dog got out and was aggressive towards me/my dogs but 99% of the time Animal Control was 'closed' for the day/weekend and/or nobody could do jack about it.

100% of the time by Animal Control managed to show up - the dog was back inside/tied up/whatever as the owner would have finally come home.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Interesting, a lot of comments here where people talk against pit bulls. If you replaced 'pit bull' with 'AR-15', most of these are the same comments we read on other websites relating to gun control... It's not the dog, it's the owner and the environment the dog was raised in.... Buncha hypocrites.

Jon

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Interesting, a lot of comments here where people talk against pit bulls. If you replaced 'pit bull' with 'AR-15', most of these are the same comments we read on other websites relating to gun control... It's not the dog, it's the owner and the environment the dog was raised in.... Buncha hypocrites.

Jon
    Well, I understand your point, but it's not really a valid comparison. The dog is a living thing, and can be influenced by its environment and its owner. A gun is an inanimate object that cannot be "influenced" by much of anything. The gun doesn't care if you're Mother Theresa or Charles Manson.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Well, I understand your point, but it's not really a valid comparison. The dog is a living thing, and can be influenced by its environment and its owner. A gun is an inanimate object that cannot be "influenced" by much of anything. The gun doesn't care if you're Mother Theresa or Charles Manson.

May not be an exact comparison but dogs are most certainly influenced by their owners, as are weapons. Irresponsible ownership is more to blame than the dog is. The ignorant labeling and scare tactics used against both are identical.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Jon

HHhhmmmmmmmm.
    When 90% of my interaction with this breed has been anything but pleasant I do not consider myself a Hypocrite.
    Not had too many other types/kinds/breeds get in my yard and want a piece of someone.....just pits. That is enough for me to not want any interaction with them.
    Not calling to Dis-dog anyone just because they have a pitt. Not wanting legislation to limit puppy or head count. Your comment is off point.

Again, we realize that owners influence their children and their dogs. Not blaming the dogs but the owners are never around when we have to deal with the damn dogs.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    So when some kid rides by the house on his bike, you guys are saying my AR could chase him down or start shooting at him all on its own? Very cool. I will start watching for that.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The M16 and AK47 were specifically invented for combat troops yet we have plenty of people who feel they should be available for purchase at the local convenience store to anyone with the disposable income. Semi automatic versions are widely available and hugely popular yet we have some who attempt to label them as assault rifles which are good for nothing but killing people and should be banned in spite of the fact that there are millions of them in this country every year that kill nothing but paper.

Great argument.

Actually, your argument is the specious one.

My AK sits in the safe. Unless I touch it, it does nothing. It doesn't do anything without me touching it. Heck, I can leaving setting in the yard all alone and fully loaded and it won't hurt anyone unless it's touched. It won't even make a noise or point it's sights at people walking by.

It's an inanimate object. An animal is, well, a different animal altogether.

I'm just tired of people acting like their dogs are perfect and incapable of exacting harm to anyone. It's an animal, and as such is capable of acting like an animal.
    (apply this same statement to mothers of thugs)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm just tired of people acting like their dogs are perfect and incapable of exacting harm to anyone. It's an animal, and as such is capable of acting like an animal.
    (apply this same statement to mothers of thugs)

I don't disagree with this statement. I take issue with people attempting to demonize a certain breed and make claims which aren't true. It's the same tactic used by the gun grabbers and everyone takes issue with that. If pit bulls didn't exist no one would ever get bitten by one so lets make them not exist. Same BS argument used against guns. Is it true? Technically, yes. Is it realistic and reasonable? Not by a long shot.

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    Top 10 Dog Breeds that Bite the Most - List Crown

I have had dogs all my life ,and I am very intent on getting a good one when I go for a new one . I train it hard for 6 months , if it still don,t submit properly to it,s place in are pack , then it,s gone . Rules I have learned , always get a female ,they are more submissive by nature . Females will not wonder off nearly as much as male dogs . Do not buy a full bread dog , most over over breed and will have health issues , I have had great luck with 2 breed mix,s. Try to get a dog that will end up at the 50 to 70 pound range , there not so small to have a Napoleon complex , nipping and barking it,s a$$ off, But big enough to still protect you. My two best dogs were , German Shepard - Belgium Shepard mix female. A Black Lab - Border Collie mix female. Worst 2- Rottweiler - Doberman mix female ,all it wanted to do is attack and bite, I sold it to a junk yard in Gary . Second - Collie - German Shepherd mix , would not come when called ,and would run away in a hart beat. All were trained the same , and for 6 months , and I am good at it . Dogs were breed for jobs ,some are by nature more aggressive then others.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    No purple on my prev post.
    We use various animal in distress calls when hunting coyotes.
    I find it no stretch to imagine the possibility of a small child making sounds that could elicit a predatory response from another type of canid.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't disagree with this statement. I take issue with people attempting to demonize a certain breed and make claims which aren't true. It's the same tactic used by the gun grabbers and everyone takes issue with that. If pit bulls didn't exist no one would ever get bitten by one so lets make them not exist. Same BS argument used against guns. Is it true? Technically, yes. Is it realistic and reasonable? Not by a long shot.

I think we're basically in agreement, however with dogs, breeding (not the breed per se) and upbringing can make a difference. TheEngineer made a good point about shelter animals. You don't know their pedigree. Were they bred for aggression? Maybe, maybe not. Were they mistreated? Who knows. These things make a difference. To go back to the "assault rifle" analogy, a Windham or a Rock River isn't inherently more dangerous than a Daniel Defense. Pedigree doesn't matter (unless of course it's so horribly put together or ill-maintained that it's dangerous to shoot). However you are correct in that they (pit bulls) are deemed to be dangerous killers, much as "assault rifles" are characterized by the anti-gun folks.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom