Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermittent Fasting

User Info Menu

Intermittent Fasting

So I've been wanting to lose some weight. I really started putting it on after quitting a 14 year chewing tobacco addiction. I wouldn't eat when I had a dip in, and I always had a dip in, even at night while sleeping. I quit cold turkey because I was to lazy to hop in the car and drive spend 30minutes on a roundtrip to pick up a can and just went with it. Well then I had an itch to scratch now that there wasn't a dip in my lip. Eating became a problem and now I'm thinking that I've only replaced the addiction. I want to be able to keep up with my daughter, teach her to waterski, and all that fun stuff that fat people just have a lot of trouble doing.

I have tried and failed to many diets. So recently I just took a cold turkey stand and started a 5:2 diet, and I feel amazing. I jump started with an entire 24hr fast. Even shot a steel match towards the end of the 24hrs and felt amazing. My energy levels are through the roof, my belt tightened a hole in the first week. I am not going to get on a scale, it's not about the weight as much as it is about fitting the clothes I like to wear, and feeling better everyday. I cannot explain the energy gains, maybe all the trash I ate required all this spare energy to digest??

Here are the basics as I understand it.

2 nonconsecutive days I consume 2 300 calorie meals.
    the other 5 days are three meals as if not on a diet. (I've cut out fast food completely, eating only fresh foods, and I'm saying goodbye to red meat).

I've linked into the 16:8 as well
    I fast 16 hours everyday and eat in an 8 hour window.

I plan to cut out the 16:8 once I've gotten a couple inches off the old waistline. I find that i'm a person that needs immediate results in order to create a habit. So doubling up seems to be working great. I hope to keep seeing results, but more than seeing I hope to keep feeling the results. Getting the poison of fast food out is tough, it's an addiction i'll have to fight day by day just like tobacco.

Anyone else on the fasting bandwagon right now?

User Info Menu

So many people search for a "diet." It's not so much about the diet as it is your lifestyle. Too many people go on diets, lose weight, tell everyone about their magic diet, and end up fat in another month. Staying fit long term is a lifestyle.
    Quote Originally Posted by KG1 View Post
    You are the expert in all things read about on the internet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by seedubs1 View Post
    So many people search for a "diet." It's not so much about the diet as it is your lifestyle. Too many people go on diets, lose weight, tell everyone about their magic diet, and end up fat in another month. Staying fit long term is a lifestyle.
    This ^^^^. Good start Mr. Green and periodic fasting can do a lot of good things physiology wise. But the key is developing the lifestyle. It is very rare that a person can deny themselves what they want forever. So what needs to happen is the reprogramming of those "wants".

I used to want carrot cake and chocolate brownies. Now I don't even like the taste of sweets.

I used to like pop. But now I don't like the taste of it.

Pick items that you know are bad for you and systematically eliminate them. Replace them with healthy items. And no, diet pop is not a healthy alternative. It is actually worse.

Think about it; most people didn't like their first drink of beer. Or wine. Or bourbon. Or cigarettes and cigars. But after awhile they came to love imbibing. That works for all foods...except Brussels sprouts. I still can't eat those.
    Anything is possible

User Info Menu

Changing your diet is changing your lifestyle. If a diet works and cuts weight and the person fails to keep with it, it's not the diet that failed it's the person. People bash diets because of this "so and so failed doing it" as if that alone discredits dieting, and that is not the case. A person can relapse into unhealthy habits for any number of reasons, as with any addiction.

User Info Menu

I’ve lost almost 70 lbs since New Years on Keto. I’ve played with intermittent fasting / “feeding window”during and it definitely speeds results.
    If you’re free you’ll never see the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post
    Listen to Rhino, Coach, NHT3, and as much as I hate to say it, Chezuki. :-)
    Mooresville #78 F. & A. M.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chezuki View Post
    I’ve lost almost 70 lbs since New Years on Keto. I’ve played with intermittent fasting / “feeding window”during and it definitely speeds results.
    Congrats! Keep up the good work!
    Anything is possible

User Info Menu

My former partner does that keto stuff. It lasts 12-18 months, then he's off of it and the weight comes back. Whatever diet works for you has to be something that's sustainable long term. The 5:2 thing probably is. The eliminating carbs, I've yet to see anyone who stayed on that truly long term.

I've never semi-fasted like that. Actual fasting for Ramadan has inevitably lead to weight gain for me. The traditional sweets don't help, but it's tough to be reasonable with portions after a lengthy fast.

My most recent change is elimination of soda. I thought diet soda was fine since it's no calories or sugar, but research is building that artificial sweeteners trigger fat storage. My neck is healed and my knee is good enough, so I've started "running" again (15 minute mile, which is pathetic but a start) and have to find some long term eating plan that'll work for me. My cholesterol is still in the acceptable range, but just barely, and I've had to accept I'm not 20 (or 30) any more and can't ignore that stuff much longer.
    L'otters are not afraid.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Nice, I'm glad it's working for you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    My former partner does that keto stuff. It lasts 12-18 months, then he's off of it and the weight comes back. Whatever diet works for you has to be something that's sustainable long term. The 5:2 thing probably is. The eliminating carbs, I've yet to see anyone who stayed on that truly long term.

I've never semi-fasted like that. Actual fasting for Ramadan has inevitably lead to weight gain for me. The traditional sweets don't help, but it's tough to be reasonable with portions after a lengthy fast.

My most recent change is elimination of soda. I thought diet soda was fine since it's no calories or sugar, but research is building that artificial sweeteners trigger fat storage. My neck is healed and my knee is good enough, so I've started "running" again (15 minute mile, which is pathetic but a start) and have to find some long term eating plan that'll work for me. My cholesterol is still in the acceptable range, but just barely, and I've had to accept I'm not 20 (or 30) any more and can't ignore that stuff much longer.
    I've been losing weight. Never easy. And yep, keeping off what you lose is hard. Especially if your exercise is limited. So far I've had to buy smaller pants so it's working. Most of it is mental I think. Holding yourself to it. My new years resolution was to lose 50 pounds. I've lost alittle over 30 as of now. Gained some back when I had a bad diet relapse so that's why I'm only at 30. I'll take it but the last 20 is going to be the hardest. I'm shooting for more. Right now I can only do water resistance exercise in a pool so it's slow going. And I'm not eating like a ****ing rabbit. Tried that, cant do it, I'm a meat eater, light on the potatoes
    Cholestoral, I take a pill for that , it's high. Type 2 diabetes developed from not exercising and getting fat, not good. Finally under control. Diabetes is a real evil killer stripper ***** named tiffany.
    If you're running 15 minute miles yeah that sucks compared to the 20 somethings we were in the military but I'd kill for a 15 minute mile now. Keep it up man and you will live longer and be there for your family. That is honestly my motivation. If it wasnt for my family I would have just given up long ago.
    "I anticipate with pleasing expectation that retreat in which I promise myself to realize, without alloy, the sweet enjoyment of partaking, in the midst of my fellow-citizens, the benign influence of good laws under a free government, the ever-favorite object of my heart, and the happy reward, as I trust, of our mutual cares, labors, and dangers."

User Info Menu

Fasting will **** you up long term too. Going without food totaly or with very little food over time actualy changes your bodies chemical makeup. It's a fact. Your metabolism will slow. You will cram food and when your body gets it, it will store it in a bad way. You get fat.
    Anyone who's done this is military training or a religious reason whatever, you will notice putting on weight fast. That's why.
    I'm no doctor, and I do not know medical terminology but I know it's not good
    "I anticipate with pleasing expectation that retreat in which I promise myself to realize, without alloy, the sweet enjoyment of partaking, in the midst of my fellow-citizens, the benign influence of good laws under a free government, the ever-favorite object of my heart, and the happy reward, as I trust, of our mutual cares, labors, and dangers."

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast