• ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    If someone is a hard gainer, it’s the only way imo. Grossly over eating and working out hard is the quickest way from point A to point B. Now, is that healthy? That’s a whole different discussion. Lol. If I was a hard gainer, I would add a weight gain or meal replacement shake on top of my normal caloric intake. Hitting the gym is a must with this approach however.

Note: we may be talking about two different things. My post was about gaining weight not IF.
    For hard gainers, sure. I was more speaking to the, er, bulk of the bell curve.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    A lot of my wonderful, and I mean wonderful, weight gain is cause I am quitting smoking. I was told that nicotine, etc affect your nutrients being absorbed. And I munch all the time now.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Progress in -200# days. :coffee:
    Starting with 0 days/January to 7 days/February to 18 days/March.

January stats:
    -200 = 0 days :nono:

200-205 = 11 days
    206-210 = 11 days
    211-215 = 6 days
    216-220 = 2
    221-225 =1

February stats:
    -200 = 7 days

200-205 = 20 days
    206-210 = 1 days
    211-215 = 0 days

March stats:
    -200 = 18 days

200-205 = 13 days
    206-210 = 0 days

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    April stats:
    - 199 or lower = 18 days again
    - 200 - 205 = 12 days again (since only 30 days)
    - 206 - 210 = 0 days

I was 195# this am, lowest ever, unless I hit it for a day nearly 2.5 yrs. ago.

Since January:
    – (IF) Intermittent fasting:
    Not eating for 16 or 18 hours a day in addition to my 1 day/mo. of a 36 - 40 hr fast.
    – Low carbs
    – low fat
    – tuna/sardines/salmon nearly every day
    – no added sugar
    – little or no processed foods
    – no dairy
    – no cheese (last two weeks b/c of "other" issues")
    – mostly raw or cooked veggies
    – little or no beef or ham
    - only 1 fruit per day

I'm trying to eat as close to a whole food/plant-based diet, but with a bit of Mediterranean cuisine mixed in, haha!
    Research for decades has shown unbelievable results how WFPB improves health in an array of levels.
    But, I do not want to give up:
    - eggs
    - fish
    - extra virgin olive oil (proved it brought down my cholesterol blood test numbers in past 3 months)
    It's bad enough giving up beef, grains, breads and cheese, ha ha!

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    I did enough studying to convince myself that the food pyramid is a recipe for being being fat. I cut out all sugar, nearly all carbs, I average about 1 drink year. I spend the extra money for grass-fed, pasture raised, (local when available). My diet consists of fish, 80/20 ground beef, butter, eggs, yogurt and large amounts of low-carb vegetables.

Since January I'm down to 193 from 215. No hunger, no food cravings. BP this morning was 118/69.

What I didn't expect but got anyway:
    • Improved vision
    • Better hearing
    • Better sleep
    • Less inflammation
    • Less puffy eyes
    • Better skin
    • Better focus
    • Clearer mind
    • Less anxiety
    Someone once told me that "sugar is poison". I laughed at them. I was wrong....

Stevia powder is great (the pure stuff, not Truvia), if you need something sweet. The rest of the artificial sweeteners are toxic.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I did enough studying to convince myself that the food pyramid is a recipe for being being fat. I cut out all sugar, nearly all carbs, I average about 1 drink year. I spend the extra money for grass-fed, pasture raised, (local when available). My diet consists of fish, 80/20 ground beef, butter, eggs, yogurt and large amounts of low-carb vegetables.

Since January I'm down to 193 from 215. No hunger, no food cravings. BP this morning was 118/69.

What I didn't expect but got anyway:
    • Improved vision
    • Better hearing
    • Better sleep
    • Less inflammation
    • Less puffy eyes
    • Better skin
    • Better focus
    • Clearer mind
    • Less anxiety
    Someone once told me that "sugar is poison". I laughed at them. I was wrong....

Stevia powder is great (the pure stuff, not Truvia), if you need something sweet. The rest of the artificial sweeteners are toxic.
    Your story is encouraging. :thumbsup:
    My wife uses Stevia to bake desserts when the son & wife visit.

This January was very strict with nothing but vegetable juices or protein drinks day 1-11, then I started introducing: veggies, eggs & some nuts.
    I went down from 225 to 199.
    My goal is to stay -200.
    Same goal I had 2 yrs ago but put it back on even though I fought it. :wallbash:
    I learned I can put on weight eating healthy food.
    Portion control is my nemesis.
    Hopefully, I'll be "smarter" this time.
    193.8 this am (wanted to get that "3" in there. :laugh:).

Your approach mirrors what I've been doing since January.
    I didn't have any beer or wine, not even my favored Fireball :laugh:, in January & have had less than 1 drink per month since.

Monday I did a 44 hr fast. (Sunday evening till Tuesday afternoon).
    Tuesday, I had a protein drink at 1:30 pm & Bok Choy soup at 5:30 pm.
    And, the battle goes on! :ugh:

Last edited:

XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Your story is encouraging. :thumbsup:
    My wife uses Stevia to bake desserts when the son & wife visit.

This January was very strict with nothing but vegetable juices or protein drinks day 1-11, then I started introducing, veggies, eggs & some nuts.
    I went down from 225 to 199.
    My goal is to stay -200.
    Same goal I had 2 yrs ago but put it back on even though I fought it. :wallbash:
    I learned I can put on weight eating healthy food.
    Portion control is my nemesis.
    Hopefully, I'll be "smarter" this time.
    193.8 this am (wanted to get that "3" in there. :laugh:).

Your approach mirrors what I've been doing since January.
    I didn't have any beer or wine, not even my favored Fireball :laugh:, in January & have had less than 1 drink per month since.

Monday I did a 44 hr fast. (Sunday evening till Tuesday afternoon).
    Tuesday, I had a protein drink at 1:30 pm & Bok Choy soup at 5:30 pm.
    And, the battle goes on! :ugh:
    Keep up the good work! Keeping blood sugar levels steady seems to be the key for me. Without hunger cravings, its a comparative cake walk. I did not have a blood sugar problem, but I almost certainly had a high insulin problem. Nobody talks about the underlying insulin issue, they focus on the blood sugar which I've come to learn, tells you long AFTER you have a pretty serious issue.

This video really explains how that works. This guys videos have really helped me. Standard disclaimer: I'm no doctor, your mileage may vary, do your own research etc.... :)

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Keep up the good work! Keeping blood sugar levels steady seems to be the key for me. Without hunger cravings, its a comparative cake walk. I did not have a blood sugar problem, but I almost certainly had a high insulin problem. Nobody talks about the underlying insulin issue, they focus on the blood sugar which I've come to learn, tells you long AFTER you have a pretty serious issue.

This video really explains how that works. This guys videos have really helped me. Standard disclaimer: I'm no doctor, your mileage may vary, do your own research etc.... :)

This!

I was insulin resistant ate an aweful diet and was way overweight. Voracious appetite, carb coma every afternoon, which I "solved" with a Mt Dew and Snickers bar, lol!

We did keto for 8-9 months, exercised and lost ~60 lbs. This was 8-9 years ago. Took me a couple years, but settled on a decent diet - no sugar, flour or processed foods, lots of meat, fruit and vegatables. Lowish carb 9 months of the year, then keto for 2-3 months during the winter months. Fall/early winter is birthday and holiday season, so each year I put on 10-15 lbs, but then keto after Christmas, it all comes off and stays off once it warms up and I'm naturally more active... not "just" exercising, yard work, hiking, etc.

To me it makes sense... I'm of Northern European descent... in that environment, during the winter, there ain't no carbs in the snow in nature. My body is not genetically disposed to run on carbs/blood sugar year 'round.

Once a week, we'll allow a "cheat", an ice cream or pizza/pasta, just to keep the body "guessing".

The funny thing is, now I don't really get hungry at all until lunchtime... so the 18-6 fasting is pretty easy, almost natural now, I just have to be conscious of not snacking late after the evening dinner.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

I listen to this guy daily, dozens & dozens of his vids I've saved on YouTube!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I would have to guess that intermittent fasting would have to be better than continuous gluttony.
    The concept of intermittent fasting I've been using since January is a tool that hopefully help me not gain the weight back & the benefits of IF (or TRE/time restrictive eating), goes beyond weight loss/control.
    I've had a gradual decline of weight for the past decade, but gaining the 25 lbs back I'd lost 2.4 yrs ago was a real wake up call.
    And, as a diabetic, learning to run from certain highly glycemic foods

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm pretty happy with myself. After three hours on the motorcycle yesterday, towards dusk headed back home, had to stop to take a whiz in Columbus. Knowing I was gonna stop there for miles, I had BigMacs on my mind. Took my whiz and walked right out the door, back to the bike. Ate OMAD a couple hours later, at home.

Very proud that I didn't "have to eat," when I was there. A cheat meal of a couple of BigMacs wouldn't really be a big deal in my keto diet, but these days Mickey Dees food does NOT achieve satiety, and it's stupid expensive on top of that.

:coffee:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm pretty happy with myself. After three hours on the motorcycle yesterday, towards dusk headed back home, had to stop to take a whiz in Columbus. Knowing I was gonna stop there for miles, I had BigMacs on my mind. Took my whiz and walked right out the door, back to the bike. Ate OMAD a couple hours later, at home.

Very proud that I didn't "have to eat," when I was there. A cheat meal of a couple of BigMacs wouldn't really be a big deal in my keto diet, but these days Mickey Dees food does achieve satiety, and it's stupid expensive on top of that.

:coffee:
    :thumbsup: It is the victory in the small things!

My version of that, Sunday I was on 52 going through New Palestine to trade a gun.
    There is a Dairy Queen or Dairy Freeze-type there, I used to always stop for a pint of ice cream whenever I went by for years.
    I'd settle for a good bread & butter now, haha!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Saturday Sept. 02, after a 40 hr. fast (& still going) of only coffee/tea was the 1st time in 39 days of being -200. :whistle:

Below are the number of days per month achieving -200 (in the "100 Club," haha!). :coffee::
    August = 0
    July = 5
    June = 9
    May = 19
    April = 18
    March = 18
    February = 7
    January = 0 (began diet losing 25# again after 2 yrs of doing so)
    2 yrs ago I used the Optavia 1200 calorie diet for a month, this time vegetable liquids/11 days, then introducing eggs & veggies.

I am slowly losing the battle, AGAIN! :wallbash:
    Last May, I was 195 after my monthly fast, evidencing my decline. :crying:
    I have proven I can't be trusted in the kitchen even with whole foods & mostly a plant-based diet. :lmfao:

Still clinging to:
    - intermittent fasting (usually 18/6-ish)
    - 1st of the month strict fasting for 40-ish hrs
    - olive oil (for good fats)
    - fish (tuna, sardines & salmon for "clean" protein & healthy fats)
    - eggs, with turkey bacon/sausage (trying to dial back turkey bacon/sausage)
    - some chicken/turkey
    - flax or chia seeds for good fats & "digestion" aids :laugh:
    - Apple cider vinegar with the "mother" for glucose spikes/control
    - almost nearly no sugars or processed foods (b/c of sugar, salt & bad fat content)
    - mostly staying away from heavily saturated fats (beef/pork), b/c of LDL doubling & total cholesterol increasing 67%, after stopping Statin last month.

I started out being very strict & on days weighing 200, now it's 205, sadly. :nono:
    I've been out of town twice this month & that has been a killer. :facepalm:

Being a type 2 diabetic & reducing & now stopped all Metformin, after reducing dose per day over the past 3 yrs from 4, 3, 2 & lastly, 1 per day).
    That is the basis of my motivation: getting off pharmaceuticals.

Weight Chart 09.02.2023 for 1 month.PNG

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Saturday Sept. 02, after a 40 hr. fast (& still going) of only coffee/tea was the 1st time in 39 days of being -200. :whistle:

Below are the number of days per month achieving -200 (in the "100 Club," haha!). :coffee::
    August = 0
    July = 5
    June = 9
    May = 19
    April = 18
    March = 18
    February = 7
    January = 0 (began diet losing 25# again after 2 yrs of doing so)
    2 yrs ago I used the Optavia 1200 calorie diet for a month, this time vegetable liquids/11 days, then introducing eggs & veggies.

I am slowly losing the battle, AGAIN! :wallbash:
    Last May, I was 195 after my monthly fast, evidencing my decline. :crying:
    I have proven I can't be trusted in the kitchen even with whole foods & mostly a plant-based diet. :lmfao:

Still clinging to:
    - intermittent fasting (usually 18/6-ish)
    - 1st of the month strict fasting for 40-ish hrs
    - olive oil (for good fats)
    - fish (tuna, sardines & salmon for "clean" protein & healthy fats)
    - eggs, with turkey bacon/sausage (trying to dial back turkey bacon/sausage)
    - some chicken/turkey
    - flax or chia seeds for good fats & "digestion" aids :laugh:
    - Apple cider vinegar with the "mother" for glucose spikes/control
    - almost nearly no sugars or processed foods (b/c of sugar, salt & bad fat content)
    - mostly staying away from heavily saturated fats (beef/pork), b/c of LDL doubling & total cholesterol increasing 67%, after stopping Statin last month.

I started out being very strict & on days weighing 200, now it's 205, sadly. :nono:
    I've been out of town twice this month & that has been a killer. :facepalm:

Being a type 2 diabetic & reducing & now stopped all Metformin, after reducing dose per day over the past 3 yrs from 4, 3, 2 & lastly, 1 per day).
    That is the basis of my motivation: getting off pharmaceuticals.

View attachment 296679
    For me, constantly getting on the scale doesn't work. I am better off seeing how I look and how my clothes fit. If I lose several pounds, my inner self seems to give me the green light to overindulge. YMMV

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A lot of the ups and downs on the scales has to do with hydration/dehydration.

Especially this time of year, for those of us who sweat much and or don't live their lives in the A/C.

Salt intake and diet can contribute to how much water you hold vs readily pass also.

:40oz:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    For me, constantly getting on the scale doesn't work. I am better off seeing how I look and how my clothes fit. If I lose several pounds, my inner self seems to give me the green light to overindulge. YMMV
    I get it, I've been told not to get on the scale every am.
    Doesn't work for me.
    I need the constant reality feedback on which direction I'm going to go that day.
    When I'm on vacation, & not hitting the scales, I once came back 12 pounds higher.
    Now I'm down to gaining "only" 2-7 pounds b/c I take my scales with me, haha!
    Only through great effort of denial will my weight even stabilize & to decrease, the greatest effort.
    I need boundaries, & the scales is only 1 of 4 documentations that I make everyday to provide them.

My wife uses the dreaded word, "portions," to say the same thing.
    Paradoxically, it is easier for me to fast for 44 hours, than to eat moderately to keep my weight steady everyday.
    The am scales is just a way to give me direction for the day's eating pattern, meaning which food(s) to eliminate today that I had yesterday if I have picked up 2-3 pounds the day before.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A lot of the ups and downs on the scales has to do with hydration/dehydration.

Especially this time of year, for those of us who sweat much and or don't live their lives in the A/C.

Salt intake and diet can contribute to how much water you hold vs readily pass also.

:40oz:
    So true! :thumbsup:
    And, there is another delicate detail that I am reluctant to mention.
    As a person ages, apparently there are other biological processes that get disrupted causing weight to fluctuate & not be steady. :rofl:

That is why the really important measuring stick for me is how many days in a the month I am
    195 - 200
    or
    200 - 205.
    This tells me from the long view which direction I'm headed.
    It has been the wrong direction since June, after going in the right direction from January - May.

Also, a chart like this show the direction & slow creep to keep me motivated.
    Last 6 months:
    weight chart for 6 months on 9.02.2023.jpg

The last year showing success & failure:
    weight chart for 1 year on 9.02.2023.jpg

Top Bottom