• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Bulletproof coffee. 1tbs GOOD butter (I prefer kerrygold) and 1tbs MCT oil blended with coffee. It’s my breakfast, and at 300ish calories, I’m often still not hungry at lunch time.

I do bulletproof coffee also. Not to lose weight but to add some essential fats to my diet and I think it kinda makes the caffeine "time released". I get a nice steady alertness and clear thinking that lasts until lunch.

I remember seeing an episode of the new Hawaii 5 O when McGarrett put butter in his coffee. I thought it was A; gross and B; some Hollywood stunt.

And here I am now drinking it almost daily. And my wife, who hates coffee is drinking it too!:)

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I have had great success with intermittent fasting.
    It's how I got from 200 to 185.
    I have found, for me anyway, that I don't get hungry through the day like you would think.
    I do the 20 hours fasting and 4 hour eating window.
    I do P90X3 when I get home from work and after that have a regular evening meal with my wife.
    She has started doing P90x3 with me now.
    I checked my macros and found that about 1600 calories is what I should consume in that 4 hour window.
    I can eat a lot of different things as long as I watch the macros and calorie intake.
    I used Keto for years and never got real lasting results from it.
    On intermittent fasting, you are not limited to what you eat, but I tend to eat better because it's one meal a day.
    I have energy and alertness all day.
    NOTHING works for me if I don't get that regular 30 minutes a day workout.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I tried intermittent fasting a year ago. I tried a 24hr fast followed with 1 meal and then tried the 16hr fast followed with a 8hr window where I fit 2 meals in. I admit I am addicted to caffeine (mostly tea or diet coke). Regardless of how I did it about 10-12 hrs in I would get the shakes and started losing some fine motor skills. And much past the 12hr mark I always ended up with a serious migraine.
    So, anyone have insight to how effective fasting 1 meal a day would work?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/legionathletics.com/intermittent-fasting/amp/

Some people call it intermittent fasting.

I call it being an Orthodox Christian.

Either way, it can help with weight

Weight loss will always be about diet and exercise.

Download myfitnesspal and track your calories. I found the free version to be great but found the premium version to be well worth it.

Use a TDEE calculator to find your TDEE then cut that number by 10%.

Measure everything you eat with a scale and or use portion control containers when packing lunches. After a week to a month depending on diet variety you will recognize what an ounce of almonds looks like..

You will quickly find out what your macros are.
    Adjust the macros to meet your goals.

For me, I eat 40%/40%/20%. Protein/carbohydrates/Fat.

Eat what you want at first but hit the calorie goal. After some research and practice, a month or so, set macro targets.

In other words do it more like this...

https://legionathletics.com/flexible-dieting/

Last edited:

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Intermittent fasting or fasting in general will teach your body to hold onto fat stores long term. Short term gains may be fine, but long term, it's not going to work for most people.

Keto or Atkins.....whatever the dumb name of the day is where you cut carbs and teach your body to burn protein and fat as your primary source of energy is just not sustainable or unhealthy if you force it long term.

Again.....All these diets are people searching for a magic bullet. They DO NOT work long term. Even if you stick with them long term and keep weight off, they aren't healthy or good for you long term. Keep in mind, by "diet," I don't mean changing your diet from an unhealthy one to a healthy one. By "diet," I mean whatever trendy crap idea is currently being pushed on people.

Eat clean foods (vegetables, grains, fruit, etc...). Stop intaking boat loads of sugar. Don't eat processed or fast foods where the ingredient list was made by a scientist. And EXERCISE. That's the long term "secret" to not being fat.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Intermittent fasting or fasting in general will teach your body to hold onto fat stores long term. Short term gains may be fine, but long term, it's not going to work for most people.

Keto or Atkins.....whatever the dumb name of the day is where you cut carbs and teach your body to burn protein and fat as your primary source of energy is just not sustainable or unhealthy if you force it long term.

Again.....All these diets are people searching for a magic bullet. They DO NOT work long term. Even if you stick with them long term and keep weight off, they aren't healthy or good for you long term. Keep in mind, by "diet," I don't mean changing your diet from an unhealthy one to a healthy one. By "diet," I mean whatever trendy crap idea is currently being pushed on people.

Eat clean foods (vegetables, grains, fruit, etc...). Stop intaking boat loads of sugar. Don't eat processed or fast foods where the ingredient list was made by a scientist. And EXERCISE. That's the long term "secret" to not being fat.

Can't send you rep points but very good points! Shop the perimeter of the grocery stores. That will go a long way for overall health.

And yes, no one has said much about exercise, but vigorous exercise is a fountain of youth so to speak. You need to be able to do life. All of our lives we pick stuff up and put it down. We should try to be able to do that for as long as we can. With a lot of hard work and a little luck we will be able to do so until we die.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup.....Exercise. No excuse not to. You'll be a happier person and more capable of doing life right. You just have to get your damn foot out the door. That's the hardest part.

I hear a lot of "I don't have time." Well.....you sat on your couch for an hour and watched GOT.....Priorities. Make some time. I've yet to talk to a single person that truly didn't have time.

I also hear a lot of "but I'm tired." You're tired because you don't exercise. So you don't exercise because you're tired. It's a loop. Go exercise.....even if you're tired.

Can't send you rep points but very good points! Shop the perimeter of the grocery stores. That will go a long way for overall health.

And yes, no one has said much about exercise, but vigorous exercise is a fountain of youth so to speak. You need to be able to do life. All of our lives we pick stuff up and put it down. We should try to be able to do that for as long as we can. With a lot of hard work and a little luck we will be able to do so until we die.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yup.....Exercise. No excuse not to. You'll be a happier person and more capable of doing life right. You just have to get your damn foot out the door. That's the hardest part.

I hear a lot of "I don't have time." Well.....you sat on your couch for an hour and watched GOT.....Priorities. Make some time. I've yet to talk to a single person that truly didn't have time.

I also hear a lot of "but I'm tired." You're tired because you don't exercise. So you don't exercise because you're tired. It's a loop. Go exercise.....even if you're tired.

Like my coach will say when people say they don't have time; "What are you doing at 5:30 AM?". I don't like getting up at 4:50 every day to do a workout at 5:30 but if I don't go then, most likely I won't get it done. So I discipline myself and do it.

You only need to commit 1/24 of a day to some form of vigorous exercise. With few exceptions, we can all do this. Plus, keep in mind if you don't make time for health, you will have to for sickness.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Exercise is important, and I believe eating "clean" is, too, but as far as weight loss, I don't think it's "one-size-fits-all". Lots of people have experienced positive results on keto or low carb, and more doctors are endorsing it now.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I ruptured my intestine, went septic, nearly died, pooed in a bag from my stomach for 3.5 months and went from 197 lbs to 152 lbs......It's a REALLY tough weight loss plan....

Bag came off, switched my diet a bit and got back up to 179 lbs...Dropped soft drinks and only eat breakfast, skip lunch and then a home cooked dinner and now I am at 160 lbs..

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Lost 65lbs with low/no-carb a couple years ago... kept most of it off for a while now. Creeps up now and again... but the beer/cocktails don't help. Trying calorie counting to maintain.

Someone mentioned MCT oil... tried that once. Wrecked my stomach... no idea why... just... so much pain...

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Sorry, it really is that simple. It really is one size fits all. And keto is a joke for long term health.

That is for 99.999% of people. Of course there are some people with true medical conditions.....but they're extremely few and far between. Most fat people want to believe they have some sort of condition or are special and there's a reason they're fat. They're just fat because they eat too much garbage and don't exercise. Sorry if that hurts peoples feelings.....but it's the truth.

Exercise is important, and I believe eating "clean" is, too, but as far as weight loss, I don't think it's "one-size-fits-all". Lots of people have experienced positive results on keto or low carb, and more doctors are endorsing it now.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Caffeine pills and water then.

Soda is the worst garbage you could possibly put in your body. Buckets of sugar, and if you aren't burning it IMMEDIATELY.....it gets stored as fat instantly. Absolutely the single worst thing you can put in your body unless you want to be fat.

Cutting out diet soda has been tough for me. I need to find some cafeine drink to replace it with. Not coffee
    I cant drink coffee all day long.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Lost 65lbs with low/no-carb a couple years ago... kept most of it off for a while now. Creeps up now and again... but the beer/cocktails don't help. Trying calorie counting to maintain.

Someone mentioned MCT oil... tried that once. Wrecked my stomach... no idea why... just... so much pain...

MCT oil can be hard on the GI system. You need to start out with small amounts and work your way up. And you might not be able to tolerate more than a little. I currently only use a little over a teaspoon in my coffee. The recommended amount is between 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoons. I have been drinking bulletproof coffee for 3 weeks now. I'll try 2 teaspoons this weekend so if it upsets my stomach at least I won't have to go to work that way.

Not sure if different brands are better or worse for GI distress.

Top Bottom