Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

[1A] The Free Speech Thread

This thread is to post examples, stories, articles, events, situations, goings-on, etc... that pertain to the First Amendment and issues regarding free speech.

It's often that "social justice" issues also tie-in with free speech. Please direct those sorts of links to the "Insane Social Justice Thread." This thread is for more generally 1A-related topics.

I'll start with a few examples:

Liberals, Don't Lose Faith in the First Amendment - New York Times

The fact that conservatives benefit from the First Amendment is not something to bemoan. It is part of the constitutional bargain.
    The NYT having to explain to NYT readers that conservatives are entitled to constitutional rights is very NYT.

Federal judge in Seattle issues temporary restraining order to stop release of blueprints to make untraceable and undetectable 3D-printed plastic guns.

This is purely a First Amendment violation, and if you read further... makes absolutely no sense. There's a dedicated thread for the Cody Wilson/DEFCAD/3D Print guns situation right here!

Schreiner University's new "Free Speech Policy" is raising concerns among First Amendment advocates, who warn that the policy's "vague" wording could stifle free expression on campus.

A First Amendment watchdog is blasting Schreiner University’s controversial “Free Speech Policy,” arguing that the newly drafted rules impose barriers to free expression.

The policy, set to take effect in September, explains that the school graciously seeks to “provide opportunities for free speech” but also to “preserve the academic order of the university.”
    Both Campus Reform and FIRE (the 1A advocacy group) are great resources to follow for free speech topics.

User Info Menu

It's a shame SO MANY people don't understand any of their rights.
    Una salus victis nullam sperare salute.
    The only hope for the doomed, is no hope at all
    Virgil

I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast;
    for I intend to go in harm's way.
    John Paul Jones

A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs.
    Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

User Info Menu

Naming your threads after NPR programs?

Quote Originally Posted by GPIA7R View Post
    This thread is to post examples, stories, articles, events, situations, goings-on, etc... that pertain to the First Amendment and issues regarding free speech.

It's often that "social justice" issues also tie-in with free speech. Please direct those sorts of links to the "Insane Social Justice Thread." This thread is for more generally 1A-related topics.

I'll start with a few examples:

Liberals, Don't Lose Faith in the First Amendment - New York Times

The NYT having to explain to NYT readers that conservatives are entitled to constitutional rights is very NYT.

Federal judge in Seattle issues temporary restraining order to stop release of blueprints to make untraceable and undetectable 3D-printed plastic guns.

This is purely a First Amendment violation, and if you read further... makes absolutely no sense. There's a dedicated thread for the Cody Wilson/DEFCAD/3D Print guns situation right here!

Schreiner University's new "Free Speech Policy" is raising concerns among First Amendment advocates, who warn that the policy's "vague" wording could stifle free expression on campus.

Both Campus Reform and FIRE (the 1A advocacy group) are great resources to follow for free speech topics.
    Orthodox Christian | NRA | GOA | MGNOC | ARRL Member | Purdue Alumnus

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GPIA7R View Post
    The fact that conservatives benefit from the First Amendment is not something to bemoan. It is part of the constitutional bargain.
    Or. Maybe you stop feeling all elite, acting as if it's your responsibility to silence all opinions you don't like. Because, maybe some people on the other side might decide this asymmetrical culture war isn't working. Maybe they'll start using the same tactics on YOU. And maybe they'll be way more effective at it.
    I have spoken.
    If you’re woke you dig it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by foszoe View Post
    Naming your threads after NPR programs?
    INGO at its finest, 3 posts into the Free Speech thread there is a question about the speech he chose to use.
    INGO - too small for a republic, too large for an insane asylum.

User Info Menu

I have spoken.

User Info Menu

Wondering if this is a 1A (government limits) or private property/organization placing limits thread? Both? Private universities and Private magazines/papers fall outside of the 1A. They can say pretty much anything they want, and have pretty much any policy they want, and the market can decide if they want to hear the words or follow their rules.

I actually know of only a few current cases of 1A issues. The "printed" gun plans being one.

TONS of examples of private citizens trying to shut up other private citizens. That's just everyday life.
    Ryan "ElDirector"

User Info Menu

Is this the Official Free Speech Thread though... the title doesn't say official.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Is this the Official Free Speech Thread though... the title doesn't say official.
    Oh. Well if it doesn't say "official" then it's just the casual free speech thread.
    I have spoken.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post
    Wondering if this is a 1A (government limits) or private property/organization placing limits thread? Both? Private universities and Private magazines/papers fall outside of the 1A. They can say pretty much anything they want, and have pretty much any policy they want, and the market can decide if they want to hear the words or follow their rules.

I actually know of only a few current cases of 1A issues. The "printed" gun plans being one.

TONS of examples of private citizens trying to shut up other private citizens. That's just everyday life.
    Well, it says [1A] the free speech thread. Because "1A" is in brackets, it implies that the free speech topic is constrained to 1A. But the explanation for what the thread is about reveals that it's really all of the above. So I guess the title should have been "The OFFICIAL Free Speech / 1A thread". Then it can be about all matters of free expression.

But this is INGO. Topics wander. Say what you want. It's a free country. The censors will star out the forbidden words.

I have spoken.

Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast