Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    The F-4 would've been awesome.

But the F-15.... Its nice and all... but... can it land on a carrier?
    Red Flag dude, it would've been USAF, not Navy.
    INGOer #25,448

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    I'd say the 104-0 in aerial combat F-15 Eagle.

Edit: we'd need a two-seater because Anthony Edwards hadn't been to Med School yet. F-4Es were still active in 87, F-111s, nah Maverick would've been an Eagle-driver.

Edit again: the F-16 hasn't been with the Thunderbirds since 1983 because it's NOT cool... just sayin.
    Ok Ok Ok but come on man nothing is cooler that a Tomcat trimmed up for Mach-1 plus. Nothing.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Red Flag dude, it would've been USAF, not Navy.
    Oh now I see where this is going.....

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

User Info Menu

I'm glad the movie will keep the original story line, so many remakes these days are just politically correct story and character changes. When I first heard about it I figured they had replaced all the fighter pilots with lesbians.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

User Info Menu

Oh doody doody. Is the movie show going to let us see the thrilling new machines we mortgage our grandchildren for?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Ok Ok Ok but come on man nothing is cooler that a Tomcat trimmed up for Mach-1 plus. Nothing.
    I was always partial to the F-16. The last time I was assigned to an operational F-16 Wing was 1989. 347th Tactical Fighter Wing, Moody AFB, Georgia. We worked hard and played hard. We were still flying A-Models (1978-1983 IIRC, only C-Models went to Desert Storm if that tells you anything.)

The F-16 has that bubble canopy reminiscent of the P-51D Mustang and the F-86 Sabre, it has a cool factor. It's a small aircraft, when you're a Supply Troop that means the parts aren't as heavy. I worked WRSK (War Readiness Spares Kits, spare parts for the aircraft for the first 30 days of a war was the premise) 88-89, the heaviest part was the 20MM gun (it weighed a little over 250 pounds.) The main tires were 14-inch and looked like a cross between tires on farm equipment and cheater-slicks.

The Viper did many things and did them well. Air-to-air, air to ground, Wild Weasel (get the enemy to turn on their SAM Radar and shoot a missile at them), does Mach 2 and can pull 9 G's.
    INGOer #25,448

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKBJ View Post
    Oh doody doody. Is the movie show going to let us see the thrilling new machines we mortgage our grandchildren for?
    Not sure if serious...
    INGOer #25,448

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NKBJ View Post
    That's the world we live in. We stay ahead or end up in chains. At least we're able to have mortgages.
    The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

I was always partial to the F-16. The last time I was assigned to an operational F-16 Wing was 1989. 347th Tactical Fighter Wing, Moody AFB, Georgia. We worked hard and played hard. We were still flying A-Models (1978-1983 IIRC, only C-Models went to Desert Storm if that tells you anything.)

The F-16 has that bubble canopy reminiscent of the P-51D Mustang and the F-86 Sabre, it has a cool factor. It's a small aircraft, when you're a Supply Troop that means the parts aren't as heavy. I worked WRSK (War Readiness Spares Kits, spare parts for the aircraft for the first 30 days of a war was the premise) 88-89, the heaviest part was the 20MM gun (it weighed a little over 250 pounds.) The main tires were 14-inch and looked like a cross between tires on farm equipment and cheater-slicks.

The Viper did many things and did them well. Air-to-air, air to ground, Wild Weasel (get the enemy to turn on their SAM Radar and shoot a missile at them), does Mach 2 and can pull 9 G's.
    I know the aircraft but not like you do of course. It has cool factor but I have always loved the look of the Tomcat. P-51D/P-38/F-86/F-14 in that order. I love the other warplanes of course but those 4 are my tops.
    And just know T.G. would have lost a lot of style points with out the carriers.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    I know the aircraft but not like you do of course. It has cool factor but I have always loved the look of the Tomcat. P-51D/P-38/F-86/F-14 in that order. I love the other warplanes of course but those 4 are my tops.
    And just know T.G. would have lost a lot of style points with out the carriers.
    P-38? I missed the twin-tail devil! Designed by Kelly Johnson (the guy who also was responsible to the F-104, U-2, and SR-71) the Lightning had twin Allison engines, four .50 cals and a 20MM cannon. It was bad to the bone, just ask Yamamoto. Oh wait, you can't, he's dead! Got smoked by a P-38 Lightning!

"Glacier Gal" was the P-38 dug out of a glacier in Greenland. It was restored in about 10 years and was at an air show in 2004 at Langley AFB. It sounded like the baddest hot rod ever. The P-51 with the Rolls Royce Merlin (also built by Packard) engine had a very unique, very classic sound. The P-38 just sounded bad ass!
    INGOer #25,448

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast