• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would have to look it up but correct me if I am mistaken on this one. F-104 Star Fighter could go vertical.

Possible! If those F-15s you saw could do it when fully fueled, they were . . . strong. The F-18s the Blue Angels fly have to burn a little fuel before they can do it (or so I have read). I think F-16 can because it's so light, but I don't know if they can do when fully fueled.

Few things are cooler than a plane that can fly like a rocket!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Not a machine gun can but a larger bore single shot breach loading "CANNON". It was low in the nose. I saw a deal on the Military channel once about these ship hunters.

I think that was a B-25 Mitchell medium bomber. Had a 75mm in the nose for anti-ship ops in the Pacific theater. No one would ever doubt the courage of those men.

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I would have to look it up but correct me if I am mistaken on this one. F-104 Star Fighter could go vertical.

Well yeah, it was an engine with stubby little wings! The X-15 rocket plane was based on the F-104. Oh man, the F-104 was a Kelly Johnson design too. He was probably an alien.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Well yeah, it was an engine with stubby little wings! The X-15 rocket plane was based on the F-104. Oh man, the F-104 was a Kelly Johnson design too. He was probably an alien.

Kelly Johnson is a hero of mine, alien or not. SR-71 is my personal favorite of his.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Possible! If those F-15s you saw could do it when fully fueled, they were . . . strong. The F-18s the Blue Angels fly have to burn a little fuel before they can do it (or so I have read). I think F-16 can because it's so light, but I don't know if they can do when fully fueled.

Few things are cooler than a plane that can fly like a rocket!

I have no way of knowing what the fuel load was on board.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    ow that you say that you could be right.

Can you imagine: you're in a plane that's pretty big and not very fast. You're rolling in like a fighter (even though the aircraft is a bomber, hence the "B") on a boat that's shooting at you. You open up with every forward-facing Ma Deuce you've got, when they hit home you fire the Sherman tank's main gun which is mounted in the nose which was designed for a bombardier not a cannon. Talk about balls of steel.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Can you imagine: you're in a plane that's pretty big and not very fast. You're rolling in like a fighter (even though the aircraft is a bomber, hence the "B") on a boat that's shooting at you. You open up with every forward-facing Ma Deuce you've got, when they hit home you fire the Sherman tank's main gun which is mounted in the nose which was designed for a bombardier not a cannon. Talk about balls of steel.

The pilots said it actually felt like the plane stopped when they touched it off.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    True.

The helmet comment is that they probably used the helmets they did so the movie watchers could see their faces. They have done that in other space movies and movies containing underwater (scuba diving) scenes.

Bunching up planes does look cool, whether it's done or not. BTW, don't the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels fly some pretty tight formations?

Goofs or not, I'll probably watch it. I love to watch fighter planes fly whether real life or the big screen.

Thunderbirds and Blue Angels are special cases. Kinda like the military units that march all shiny. But in combat, you want the dirty group that has clean guns.

As for "bunching up", when you see those photos of ships all together, or in the movies, that's also only done for photo ops and movies.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've never seen a plane with thrust that exceeds its weight fly straight upward, but I want to! Those F-15s were freakin' fast (for American planes).

Being on a sub, I didn't get to witness as much stuff as I'd like (sub windows are very dirty), but I got to witness some cool things.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Red Flag dude, it would've been USAF, not Navy.

I know what Red Flag is :) (and the international components of it).

My point is that landing a plane on a desert airfield doesn't have the same cinematic appeal as a calling the ball on a carrier. :)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thunderbirds and Blue Angels are special cases. Kinda like the military units that march all shiny. But in combat, you want the dirty group that has clean guns.

As for "bunching up", when you see those photos of ships all together, or in the movies, that's also only done for photo ops and movies.

Thanks! I watched a video today a former Top Gun pilot produced. He too said that those maneuvers, like the one flying just off the sand are "pretty standard for Blue Angels, but not for me."

Still going to watch it.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The hint of plot in the trailer looked cheesy, like his replies to why isn't he Admiral yet.
    But that's ok, the planes are the real star of the show. LOVED Top Gun as a kid, watching it over and over, usually fast forwarding through the plot to get to the flying.
    Kinda wish they had used F35s for the new one!

RIP Goose.

-rvb

Top Bottom