• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    P-38? I missed the twin-tail devil! Designed by Kelly Johnson (the guy who also was responsible to the F-104, U-2, and SR-71) the Lightning had twin Allison engines, four .50 cals and a 20MM cannon. It was bad to the bone, just ask Yamamoto. Oh wait, you can't, he's dead! Got smoked by a P-38 Lightning!

"Glacier Gal" was the P-38 dug out of a glacier in Greenland. It was restored in about 10 years and was at an air show in 2004 at Langley AFB. It sounded like the baddest hot rod ever. The P-51 with the Rolls Royce Merlin (also built by Packard) engine had a very unique, very classic sound. The P-38 just sounded bad ass!

If memory serves the port engine rotated in reverse to counter the torque roll. Those are the engines they ran in land speed cars and dragsters.

Yes they packed a deadly punch. A few were equipped with a cannon (yes a real cannon) for anti ship duty.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If memory serves the port engine rotated in reverse to counter the torque roll. Those are the engines they ran in land speed cars and dragsters.

Yes they packed a deadly punch. A few were equipped with a cannon (yes a real cannon) for anti ship duty.

For the guy who designed the SR-71 (before computers) coming up with reverse-torque on one engine was child's-play! Kelly Johnson was the man at the Lockheed Skunk Works.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

A LOT of fighters had a mix of cannon and machine gun.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Then one day, 2 idiots stole 2 Zero fighters, started blowing up yachts.

Capt. finally had enough, and said, "Splash the Zeros".

[video=youtube;NkOsXNF_ZoM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkOsXNF_ZoM[/video]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For the guy who designed the SR-71 (before computers) coming up with reverse-torque on one engine was child's-play! Kelly Johnson was the man at the Lockheed Skunk Works.

The coolest part of the SR-71 were the engines . . . a hybrid of turbojet and ramjet. At high speed, the flow was directed about the turbine and directly to the afterburners. Brilliant concept and design.

(three guess who was on a research team studying ramjet combustion when he was in grad school . . . hint: he's a well known science denier with "no background at all" in science).

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The coolest part of the SR-71 were the engines . . . a hybrid of turbojet and ramjet. At high speed, the flow was directed about the turbine and directly to the afterburners. Brilliant concept and design.

(three guess who was on a research team studying ramjet combustion when he was in grad school . . . hint: he's a well known science denier with "no background at all" in science).

Bennie? From Bennie and the Jets?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just because 30 years have passed in real time, doesn't mean they've passed in movie time.

True.

The helmet comment is that they probably used the helmets they did so the movie watchers could see their faces. They have done that in other space movies and movies containing underwater (scuba diving) scenes.

Bunching up planes does look cool, whether it's done or not. BTW, don't the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels fly some pretty tight formations?

Goofs or not, I'll probably watch it. I love to watch fighter planes fly whether real life or the big screen.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    True.

The helmet comment is that they probably used the helmets they did so the movie watchers could see their faces. They have done that in other space movies and movies containing underwater (scuba diving) scenes.

Bunching up planes does look cool, whether it's done or not. BTW, don't the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels fly some pretty tight formations?

Goofs or not, I'll probably watch it. I love to watch fighter planes fly whether real life or the big screen.

Years ago a friend of mine called me and said you need to get out here to the tower. He was an air traffic controller. I had access to restricted areas at the airport as a contractor so I rolled. There were 6 F-15's on the deck refueling and pilot downtime. I got there just in time for he and I to watch them roll out. They all did what he called a performance take off. Before they cleared the end of the runway they went vertical on full burners. G.O.N.E.
    Man that was a site too see.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I musta missed that in thermodynamic/heat transfer/fluid flow class.

They must discuss that in the second semester. HAHA!

It was counterintuitive to me that acoustics (essentially determined by the length of the combustion chamber) would dominate other aspects of the high speed reacting flow that can induce and affect turbulence. It would be interesting to study a similar situation for a SCRAMJET in which the combustion process occurs when the flow is at Mach numbers higher than 1. But I digress . . .

I've already been informed by SWMBO that we're going to see the movie (whether I like it or not).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Years ago a friend of mine called me and said you need to get out here to the tower. He was an air traffic controller. I had access to restricted areas at the airport as a contractor so I rolled. There were 6 F-15's on the deck refueling and pilot downtime. I got there just in time for he and I to watch them roll out. They all did what he called a performance take off. Before they cleared the end of the runway they went vertical on full burners. G.O.N.E.
    Man that was a site too see.

I've never seen a plane with thrust that exceeds its weight fly straight upward, but I want to! Those F-15s were freakin' fast (for American planes).

Top Bottom