• ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    The trailer just dropped today. I actually do like Tom Cruise, the guy can make some great, action movies. I will make the trip to the theater to see this one.

[video=youtube;qSqVVswa420]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSqVVswa420&feature=player_embedded&fbclid =IwAR347KuwM6C7FBZHnZ6fQJOtRWZ1VhGQWpaVFfAynhbUnN6 cmYIeIHTGMIk[/video]

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Can't stand the guy and his antics that make it into the media.

But the original was really good, and the sequel looks really promising. I'm looking forward to it - especially being related to a naval aviator. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK. I only saw 1 shot with the F-14 which in fact was the star of the original TG flic. That is gonna suck. But I will watch this one.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    :+1: It will be odd without the Tomcat.

I was stationed in Virginia when they retired the F-14 fleet, 2004 maybe. The Hornet is appropriate, NOT THE F-35!!

FYI, the original would've been named Red Flag if the USAF had not left it up to civilian dinosaurs who said no to everything.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I was stationed in Virginia when they retired the F-14 fleet, 2004 maybe. The Hornet is appropriate, NOT THE F-35!!

FYI, the original would've been named Red Flag if the USAF had not left it up to civilian dinosaurs who said no to everything.

Ok, but what airframe would they have used? The Lawn Dart? :) Eek!

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Ok, but what airframe would they have used? The Lawn Dart? :) Eek!

I'd say the 104-0 in aerial combat F-15 Eagle.

Edit: we'd need a two-seater because Anthony Edwards hadn't been to Med School yet. F-4Es were still active in 87, F-111s, nah Maverick would've been an Eagle-driver.

Edit again: the F-16 hasn't been with the Thunderbirds since 1983 because it's NOT cool... just sayin.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The F-4 would've been awesome.

But the F-15.... Its nice and all... but... can it land on a carrier? :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'd say the 104-0 in aerial combat F-15 Eagle.

Edit: we'd need a two-seater because Anthony Edwards hadn't been to Med School yet. F-4Es were still active in 87, F-111s, nah Maverick would've been an Eagle-driver.

Edit again: the F-16 hasn't been with the Thunderbirds since 1983 because it's NOT cool... just sayin.

Ok Ok Ok but come on man nothing is cooler that a Tomcat trimmed up for Mach-1 plus. Nothing.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'm glad the movie will keep the original story line, so many remakes these days are just politically correct story and character changes. When I first heard about it I figured they had replaced all the fighter pilots with lesbians.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Oh doody doody. Is the movie show going to let us see the thrilling new machines we mortgage our grandchildren for?

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Ok Ok Ok but come on man nothing is cooler that a Tomcat trimmed up for Mach-1 plus. Nothing.

I was always partial to the F-16. The last time I was assigned to an operational F-16 Wing was 1989. 347th Tactical Fighter Wing, Moody AFB, Georgia. We worked hard and played hard. We were still flying A-Models (1978-1983 IIRC, only C-Models went to Desert Storm if that tells you anything.)

The F-16 has that bubble canopy reminiscent of the P-51D Mustang and the F-86 Sabre, it has a cool factor. It's a small aircraft, when you're a Supply Troop that means the parts aren't as heavy. I worked WRSK (War Readiness Spares Kits, spare parts for the aircraft for the first 30 days of a war was the premise) 88-89, the heaviest part was the 20MM gun (it weighed a little over 250 pounds.) The main tires were 14-inch and looked like a cross between tires on farm equipment and cheater-slicks.

The Viper did many things and did them well. Air-to-air, air to ground, Wild Weasel (get the enemy to turn on their SAM Radar and shoot a missile at them), does Mach 2 and can pull 9 G's.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was always partial to the F-16. The last time I was assigned to an operational F-16 Wing was 1989. 347th Tactical Fighter Wing, Moody AFB, Georgia. We worked hard and played hard. We were still flying A-Models (1978-1983 IIRC, only C-Models went to Desert Storm if that tells you anything.)

The F-16 has that bubble canopy reminiscent of the P-51D Mustang and the F-86 Sabre, it has a cool factor. It's a small aircraft, when you're a Supply Troop that means the parts aren't as heavy. I worked WRSK (War Readiness Spares Kits, spare parts for the aircraft for the first 30 days of a war was the premise) 88-89, the heaviest part was the 20MM gun (it weighed a little over 250 pounds.) The main tires were 14-inch and looked like a cross between tires on farm equipment and cheater-slicks.

The Viper did many things and did them well. Air-to-air, air to ground, Wild Weasel (get the enemy to turn on their SAM Radar and shoot a missile at them), does Mach 2 and can pull 9 G's.

I know the aircraft but not like you do of course. It has cool factor but I have always loved the look of the Tomcat. P-51D/P-38/F-86/F-14 in that order. I love the other warplanes of course but those 4 are my tops.
    And just know T.G. would have lost a lot of style points with out the carriers.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I know the aircraft but not like you do of course. It has cool factor but I have always loved the look of the Tomcat. P-51D/P-38/F-86/F-14 in that order. I love the other warplanes of course but those 4 are my tops.
    And just know T.G. would have lost a lot of style points with out the carriers.

P-38? I missed the twin-tail devil! Designed by Kelly Johnson (the guy who also was responsible to the F-104, U-2, and SR-71) the Lightning had twin Allison engines, four .50 cals and a 20MM cannon. It was bad to the bone, just ask Yamamoto. Oh wait, you can't, he's dead! Got smoked by a P-38 Lightning!

"Glacier Gal" was the P-38 dug out of a glacier in Greenland. It was restored in about 10 years and was at an air show in 2004 at Langley AFB. It sounded like the baddest hot rod ever. The P-51 with the Rolls Royce Merlin (also built by Packard) engine had a very unique, very classic sound. The P-38 just sounded bad ass!

Top Bottom