Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Calling tips in to LEO question / feedback (not a current crazy events thread)

First of all, I have been a firm supporter of LEO for some time.

A couple of months ago I saw something I thought was sketchy, a guy in a pickup full of catalytic converters (harvesting has been an issue here from what I have heard) appeared to be selling them to someone else in a parking lot. I called it into dispatch, they seemed to be way more interested in who I was, DOB, address, etc, etc.

I asked if all this was really necessary to call in a tip, he said "have a nice day" then hung up on me.

Not sure if this is par for the course but doesn't make me want to call anything in. Had a talk with another gun guy (former LEO) that had a similar experience.
    Psalm 118:8 It is better to trust in the Lord than to put confidence in man.

User Info Menu

Maybe ask their id number and be transferred to a supervisor?
    I find you offensive for finding me offensive.

Often imitated, Never duplicated.

Expert

User Info Menu

I've always taken that to mean that since you're a witness you are now part of the investigation and therefore they need to gather some basic evidence about you as well. I wouldn't sweat it and I haven't in the past when I've called things in (like watching a B&E on a neighbor's house in real time). I've never heard back about any of those "things" so I guess they didn't need me.

Hanging up on you is kind of a richard move though... Not sure what to make of that bit. They could have decided that was you invoking your right to remain silent and obliged you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dieselrealtor View Post
    First of all, I have been a firm supporter of LEO for some time.

A couple of months ago I saw something I thought was sketchy, a guy in a pickup full of catalytic converters (harvesting has been an issue here from what I have heard) appeared to be selling them to someone else in a parking lot. I called it into dispatch, they seemed to be way more interested in who I was, DOB, address, etc, etc.

I asked if all this was really necessary to call in a tip, he said "have a nice day" then hung up on me.

Not sure if this is par for the course but doesn't make me want to call anything in. Had a talk with another gun guy (former LEO) that had a similar experience.
    I'm assuming "dispatch" means you called a non-emergency number , not 911.

As to, "he said 'have a nice day' then hung up on me." I guess he got all the information he needed / wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatin Since 87 View Post
    Maybe ask their id number and be transferred to a supervisor?
    Am I being detained?
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

User Info Menu

Was this in Marion County?
    VIRTUS JUNXIT MORS NON SEPARABIT

User Info Menu

Do we care about false reports or don't we?

Are the cops supposed to roll up on a guy when the witness won't even stand behind the report?

Also, an anonymous tip versus being able to identify the tipster goes to whether probable cause exists. While an anonymous tip can, in some circumstances, provide probable cause, it helps if the witness identifies themselves, especially if what is being reported is not a direct witnessing of a crime, and a guy driving around with catalytic converters is circumstantial evidence, but not direct evidence of a crime.
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

User Info Menu

I guess I don't understand why one wouldn't provide that information, if one were truly concerned about reporting a possible crime (albeit with circumstantial evidence). Personally I wouldn't have given it a second thought. After all, I was the one calling the police. I guess my level of paranoia isn't up to INGO standards.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    I guess my level of paranoia isn't up to INGO standards.
    If you're just going to tee them up like that...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    I guess I don't understand why one wouldn't provide that information, if one were truly concerned about reporting a possible crime (albeit with circumstantial evidence). Personally I wouldn't have given it a second thought. After all, I was the one calling the police. I guess my level of paranoia isn't up to INGO standards.
    Because then your name becomes part of the public record. In this day and age when everyone is looking to screw everyone else over who wants to be part of any official reports?
    Also a cop told me once that if you call into 911 and give your name or info then it will always be associated with a theft, or murder, or carjacking. When they run your name those cases will come up.
    I'm not risking that.
    I'm already labeled a deplorable for having an LTCH. Those pop up too when police run your plates or ID and that is rediculous too imo
    Retired with low speed & high drag

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Time View Post
    Because then your name becomes part of the public record. In this day and age when everyone is looking to screw everyone else over who wants to be part of any official reports?
    Also a cop told me once that if you call into 911 and give your name or info then it will always be associated with a theft, or murder, or carjacking. When they run your name those cases will come up.
    I'm not risking that.
    I'm already labeled a deplorable for having an LTCH. Those pop up too when police run your plates or ID and that is rediculous too imo
    So the answer is "snitches get stitches" and just STFU? Not for me it isn't. And I'm sorry, but I'm calling on whatever cop told you that. I've called 911 a few times, and it's never caused me any issues, even when going through extensive background checks for Federal employment.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast