Calling tips in to LEO question / feedback (not a current crazy events thread)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    First of all, I have been a firm supporter of LEO for some time.

A couple of months ago I saw something I thought was sketchy, a guy in a pickup full of catalytic converters (harvesting has been an issue here from what I have heard) appeared to be selling them to someone else in a parking lot. I called it into dispatch, they seemed to be way more interested in who I was, DOB, address, etc, etc.

I asked if all this was really necessary to call in a tip, he said "have a nice day" then hung up on me.

Not sure if this is par for the course but doesn't make me want to call anything in. Had a talk with another gun guy (former LEO) that had a similar experience.

Were you talking to a dispatcher or a police officer?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    It does NOT come up when running a license plate.

When a license plate is run, it returns with the name and driver's license number of the registered owner along with vehicle related info. If you run the drivers license number from that, it will NOT show a LTCH.

It will return a LTCH if a drivers license is run by name and date of birth, but it is kind of two different transactions/screens from above.
    Not sure what CAD system you use, but the Motorola P1 system that Marion County agencies use absolutely does have an LTCH screen attached to your DL return, which is attached to your license plate return.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    I have worked a lot with P1 to integrate it into the Spillman Jail. The only way to make it work is if there was an existing Local Return in the RMS. That is querying the local record DOB and not the State Record.

IDACS/BMV has no mechanism in place to associate the DL of an 10-28 to the Aries Portal, it is physically impossible in the XML from both the State and to Aries. The field does not even exist in the Aries XML schema.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I have worked a lot with P1 to integrate it into the Spillman Jail. The only way to make it work is if there was an existing Local Return in the RMS. That is querying the local record DOB and not the State Record.

IDACS/BMV has no mechanism in place to associate the DL of an 10-28 to the Aries Portal, it is physically impossible in the XML from both the State and to Aries. The field does not even exist in the Aries XML schema.
    The only thing we use ARIES for is crash reports. Please don't say that something isn't possible because all of the IMPD officers on INGO can confirm that we get LTCH returns when we run plates. As far as why that happens, I have no idea. I just push the buttons and get the info.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    The only thing we use ARIES for is crash reports. Please don't say that something isn't possible because all of the IMPD officers on INGO can confirm that we get LTCH returns when we run plates. As far as why that happens, I have no idea. I just push the buttons and get the info.
    Aries is also Firearms, CLERY and NIBRS. Aries is kind of the legacy name left over before the Lexis Nexis acquisition. I will let it go, but this kind of integration and data stuff is what I do all day with Motorola systems and IDACS, ECWS, and the ton of other acronyms we have. I can't dispute what you say your button does, but I know how the systems communicate and what fields are available between the databases and that are required to perform a query. Stay Frosty.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I’ve honestly never been asked for my name or address when I’ve called. But I’ve never reported an actual crime that I can remember. The only time I’ve ever phoned the police was to ask about the legality of people mowing their grass at 2 am. Yes, my neighbor is THAT guy.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    C'mon TT. Frankly I was a little surprised at your response. I thought you were all about working with the cops and I know you've been critical of the whole "snitches get stitches" attitudes from communities that refuse to work with the police, so what's up with that?
    It depends on the crime I'm calling in.
    If I witnesses a shooting or something major then yes I'll leave my info.
    Ive given my info before. I've also waited for officers to show before and given them my info in person. I support the police for sure.
    Me not giving my info has nothing to do with support or no support. But they have the ability to see who called them if they want it.

Example, I was listening to the police radio one day because I hear lots of sirens. A armed guy was running from the cops. I realized hey this guy is heading my way possibly. Long story short I found the guy behind my house. Called 911, got them the exact location of him (he was moving once he saw me on the phone, and yes I was discretly armed as always) and stayed on the phone until I witnessed them take him down. Didnt give my info.

Another time, witnesses an insane person pull a gun on someone for no reason. Once the police arrived I personally gave my info incase they needed a witness in court.

I'm here to help if needed. I'm not cop blocking but I do want to protect my privacy and if you think criminals dont target people off of public information, they do. Just trying to be safe but be a good citizen too

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I’ve honestly never been asked for my name or address when I’ve called. But I’ve never reported an actual crime that I can remember. The only time I’ve ever phoned the police was to ask about the legality of people mowing their grass at 2 am. Yes, my neighbor is THAT guy.

I'm kinda surprised they didn't ask even then. The only time they never asked me is when I called an ISP post directly to tell them I was planning to meet a guy from Craigslist in their parking lot so if they saw weird stuff going on and money changing hands that's all it was.

FWIW, they thought it was weird that I even called them. Their S/A at that post must be set on "nap" to not care what is going on 50 feet away.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    maybe that's just your department

It isn't. It's how the system works. It will only give BMV info and, if running name and DOB you will also get LTCH info. That system doesn't have anything to do with record keeping outside of the two items listed above.

The only way your name is going to be associated with the report/call is in records keeping, which is different for most PDs depending on what system they use.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I'm kinda surprised they didn't ask even then. The only time they never asked me is when I called an ISP post directly to tell them I was planning to meet a guy from Craigslist in their parking lot so if they saw weird stuff going on and money changing hands that's all it was.

FWIW, they thought it was weird that I even called them. Their S/A at that post must be set on "nap" to not care what is going on 50 feet away.

Maybe it’s a location thing? We’re a relatively small town, so I’m not sure if that would make a difference, or if they’re only trained to ask if a deputy is being requested to pursue the call? I’m not sure, when I called to ask about him mowing I told them I didn’t want a deputy to come out. I don’t like police interference if it isn’t necessary, I just wanted to know what time the ordinance was so I could let him know the next day that I’d appreciate it if he didn’t mow at 2 am. I wouldn’t even care if he mowed at 11pm, but 2 AM is a bit much. He works nights so i guess when he’s off that’s just the hours he’s used to being active.

Honestly, depending on the reason I called, I’m not sure if I would give them my info either. I’m kinda with tt on this. Maybe we’re just paranoid idk, but the less interactions the .gov has on file with me the better imo. Now if it’s a serious crime like breaking and entering or theft or whatever ya I’d probably give them my info so if needed I could back up what I saw for them. But if they wanted my info for something like a wreck less driver or a argument in the street at 3am, ya I doubt I’d give it for that.

Don’t know, I try not to call LEO unless 100% in need

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Also, maybe our LEO knows, but it confused the hell out of me at the time. I got a new cell number last year. The only business that had it was the hospital and my mortgage co, other than family and friends. I got a call from the police one day that my parents dogs were going nuts barking. They were out of town and dads hunting dogs were going nuts over a squirrel in the tree. Told him I’d go calm them down, but never did understand how they had my new number? They didn’t get it from my parents cause when I called them they said they never received a call. Strange.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I dont know. Obviously I'm not a cop. I am no danger to the cops but I dont like anyone knowing I have a gun. I dont even keep mags or guns in the same compartment or area of my vehicle that I would reach for paperwork to give an officer. I do not keep any gun paraphanelia in plain sight or have any gun or political stickers.

But I've personally seen my info pulled up on an impd computer and yep the LTCH is on there.
    What system and all that, NO IDEA. That's all Chinese to me.
    I'm not afraid of good cops having that info. I dont like it no.
    But what really is my concern is that who has access to that info that could abuse it or leak it to the wrong people? It happens.

Same reason I think its BS we have to notify local police now that we have class 3 items. No one needs to know that info.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It isn't. It's how the system works. It will only give BMV info and, if running name and DOB you will also get LTCH info. That system doesn't have anything to do with record keeping outside of the two items listed above.

The only way your name is going to be associated with the report/call is in records keeping, which is different for most PDs depending on what system they use.

Next you're going to tell me the lifetime LTCH isn't going away.

I know better than to listen to you...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Same reason I think its BS we have to notify local police now that we have class 3 items. No one needs to know that info.

OK, yeah, that's totally dumb. And there's no point in telling the CLEO I'll be buying a few more Mosin Nagants and having them delivered to the house.

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity

If you run the plate, you get the registered owner's info as well, which I think shows the same stuff(Including LTCH) as if you run by name and DOB. Now I'll have to check. Doesn't matter if the RO isn't the driver though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I hear ya. Back when my oldest was an infant it was a lovely evening like tonight and all the windows were open. Everyone but me was sound asleep and I hear a big block with glasspacks fire up and start revving. This is like 1am. A neighbor behind us 3 doors down was working on his hot rod and apparently finished it and wanted to make sure it ran good before he went to bed. And BOY did he want to make sure it would run. Because I had enough time to put on pants and shoes, and casually walk the 50 yards to his privacy fence and when he went to idle I screamed "HEEEEEEY!!!!!" He heard me and shut it off. I followed it up with "KNOCK IT OFF! ITS AFTER 1AM A-HOLE! WE ARE TRYING TO SLEEP!" and walked away.

No ack or apology, just no more revving that late. Ever.

Top Bottom