Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 88E30M50 View Post
    I used to stash guns around but when the neighbor had a house fire, I changed that habit. When the fire chief found out that she was a gun owner, he wanted to know where every gun was and where ammo was stored.

I now keep guns unloaded mostly and am getting better at keeping ammo in known locations. I donít want to watch my house burn because I answered Ďeverywhereí to that question. Itís a whole lot easier to just carry when at home, which is my practice anyway. No real need to reach for a stashed gun if thereís one on my hip. Iím not anticipating or planning around a Mr & Mrs Smith type shootout.

Iím not saying that Iím against strategically placed guns but just remember that if thereís a fire, youíll be asked to identify where everything is that could pose a hazard to a fireman.
    That is interesting. When I went through the Indianapolis Citizens Academy, I asked about their protocol if they were aware of guns/ammo on the premises. The Fire Captains response was that they didn't worry about it because the bullets aren't all that lethal if they are not contained. I thought that response was interesting.

That said, I don't stash guns and ammo around because I have the grandkids running around quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    ďKeep your friends close and your enemies closer." -- SunTzu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yup! View Post
    Fair enough, mostly I just want my AR more accessible..
    I am happy now with keeping a pistol on my hip throughout the day and having an AR downstairs and one upstairs. Everything else is locked up unloaded with the exception of my nightstand gun. Thatís locked up but I donít want to continuously load and unload it, so it stays loaded. The rest get loaded when they go into the carry rotation and unloaded when they are replaced.

Itís not the best plan for everyone but it works for me.
    Ď88 (aka Ď88, the mad scientist)

Expert

User Info Menu

How about a "tactical garment bag" (scroll down)...Scabbards

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepster48439 View Post
    That is interesting. When I went through the Indianapolis Citizens Academy, I asked about their protocol if they were aware of guns/ammo on the premises. The Fire Captains response was that they didn't worry about it because the bullets aren't all that lethal if they are not contained. I thought that response was interesting.

That said, I don't stash guns and ammo around because I have the grandkids running around quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    That's true for ammo that is not in the chamber of a firearm. The projectile fired from a loaded gun that discharges due to a fire is the same as if it were fire intentionally.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Plinker

User Info Menu

I don't have children around so I'm a little more free for my gun placement when they're not in the safe. But anyway that you can secure them up high and probably go without a round chambered.

User Info Menu

There are a few reasons I do not have a round chambered in a firearm:

- It is in the safe
    - It is being cleaned
    - It is being shown to someone
    - It was just purchased or sold

If I have it stashed for defensive purposes it has a round in the chamber

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joniki View Post
    I rarely lock my door and things are almost always where I left them.

Attachment 79236
    Beautiful...just beautiful home defense weapons...free to roam and protect....LOVE IT! Always partial to Sheperds. So, I have to ask...are you an AKC Sheped breeder? If not, where did you find them?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dudley0 View Post

- It is in the safe
    - It is being cleaned

+1
    No one is stronger or more dangerous than the man who can harness his emotions.

www.BrightFirearmsTraining.com

abright@ccrtc.com

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dudley0 View Post

- It is in the safe
    - It is being cleaned

+10
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    That's true for ammo that is not in the chamber of a firearm. The projectile fired from a loaded gun that discharges due to a fire is the same as if it were fire intentionally.
    I think if the fire has gone on long enough to heat the receiver of a firearm enough to cook off a chambered round the house is probably already long gone and the firefighters should just stand back and watch.

Sounds like fodder for Myth Busters though...how hot will the receiver have to be and will the round make it out of the barrel? How does an ammo can respond to fire? Go off one at a time or go kabloie like a Claymore? These sorts of questions are right up their alley.
    Thor himself has spoken, mere mortals must make it so. - bradmedic04

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast