• ...and so much more!
  • Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    I used to stash guns around but when the neighbor had a house fire, I changed that habit. When the fire chief found out that she was a gun owner, he wanted to know where every gun was and where ammo was stored.

I now keep guns unloaded mostly and am getting better at keeping ammo in known locations. I don’t want to watch my house burn because I answered ‘everywhere’ to that question. It’s a whole lot easier to just carry when at home, which is my practice anyway. No real need to reach for a stashed gun if there’s one on my hip. I’m not anticipating or planning around a Mr & Mrs Smith type shootout.

I’m not saying that I’m against strategically placed guns but just remember that if there’s a fire, you’ll be asked to identify where everything is that could pose a hazard to a fireman.
    That is interesting. When I went through the Indianapolis Citizens Academy, I asked about their protocol if they were aware of guns/ammo on the premises. The Fire Captains response was that they didn't worry about it because the bullets aren't all that lethal if they are not contained. I thought that response was interesting.

That said, I don't stash guns and ammo around because I have the grandkids running around quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Fair enough, mostly I just want my AR more accessible..

I am happy now with keeping a pistol on my hip throughout the day and having an AR downstairs and one upstairs. Everything else is locked up unloaded with the exception of my nightstand gun. That’s locked up but I don’t want to continuously load and unload it, so it stays loaded. The rest get loaded when they go into the carry rotation and unloaded when they are replaced.

It’s not the best plan for everyone but it works for me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That is interesting. When I went through the Indianapolis Citizens Academy, I asked about their protocol if they were aware of guns/ammo on the premises. The Fire Captains response was that they didn't worry about it because the bullets aren't all that lethal if they are not contained. I thought that response was interesting.

That said, I don't stash guns and ammo around because I have the grandkids running around quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That's true for ammo that is not in the chamber of a firearm. The projectile fired from a loaded gun that discharges due to a fire is the same as if it were fire intentionally.

tcause17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2019
    Sellersburg
    I don't have children around so I'm a little more free for my gun placement when they're not in the safe. But anyway that you can secure them up high and probably go without a round chambered.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    There are a few reasons I do not have a round chambered in a firearm:

- It is in the safe
    - It is being cleaned
    - It is being shown to someone
    - It was just purchased or sold

If I have it stashed for defensive purposes it has a round in the chamber

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

- It is in the safe
    - It is being cleaned

+1

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    That's true for ammo that is not in the chamber of a firearm. The projectile fired from a loaded gun that discharges due to a fire is the same as if it were fire intentionally.

I think if the fire has gone on long enough to heat the receiver of a firearm enough to cook off a chambered round the house is probably already long gone and the firefighters should just stand back and watch.

Sounds like fodder for Myth Busters though...how hot will the receiver have to be and will the round make it out of the barrel? How does an ammo can respond to fire? Go off one at a time or go kabloie like a Claymore? These sorts of questions are right up their alley.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

- It is in the safe
    - It is being cleaned

Agreed on handguns. For long guns, I prefer "cruiser ready," with magazine charged, chamber unloaded, safety off.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I think if the fire has gone on long enough to heat the receiver of a firearm enough to cook off a chambered round the house is probably already long gone and the firefighters should just stand back and watch.

Sounds like fodder for Myth Busters though...how hot will the receiver have to be and will the round make it out of the barrel? How does an ammo can respond to fire? Go off one at a time or go kabloie like a Claymore? These sorts of questions are right up their alley.

I actually came across this the other day.
    Stolen from the internet.

If you look at the quantity of gunpowder contained in a cartridge, it is actually quite small. It isn't the "explosiveness" of the gunpowder alone that drives the bullet when a gun is fired. It is the pressure created by the rapidly burning powder converting to a rapidly expanding gas in a tight-fitting chamber that drives it. If the cartridge weren't in the confines of the chamber (or something equally tight-fitting) and had ample room to expand, there would be little or no pressure and little danger. The primer might detonate and the powder would burn, but after pushing the bullet free from the case with relatively little force, the burning gas would expand freely in the open and quickly dissipate-as would its energy. (With all that in mind, however, we still recommend that you don't try this...if only because it's a waste of ammo!)

However, rounds actually chambered in a gun that is exposed to fire or high heat will fire with full, lethal force.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Rounds have gone off in hot barrels just from heating the gun up from use. There was a machine gun video someone posted. The guy laid it down and it kept firing.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Yeah, but what about in a steel ammo can where the energy would be contained until sufficient pressure was raised to create a failure of the container? Like a fire cracker...or a pipe bomb. How about an ammo can filled with containers of reloading powders?

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Not a breeder. Two of these kids came from Michigan, one is a French Canadian and the other was a rescue. None of them are related.

Beautiful...just beautiful home defense weapons...free to roam and protect....LOVE IT! Always partial to Sheperds. So, I have to ask...are you an AKC Sheped breeder? If not, where did you find them?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    We have 4 shepherds in the house. My stepdaughter's is CKC, 2 of mine are CKC and one is AKC. It's not bad. They entertain each other.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    The only issue we have here is an elderly Sheltie that has a bigger "pair" than the big boys. He rules the roost. lol

We have 4 shepherds in the house. My stepdaughter's is CKC, 2 of mine are CKC and one is AKC. It's not bad. They entertain each other.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Agreed on handguns. For long guns, I prefer "cruiser ready," with magazine charged, chamber unloaded, safety off.

I can see that for cruiser use, where the firearm will be bumped and jostled. But in a house, tucked behind a picture on the wall? Why do you prefer that?

My thought is that under stress of needing the thing that charging it is one more action to remember and attempt to do. I have the nightstand carbine charged, the RDS is always on. I do leave the safety on it, although I thought hard about that one too.

Are you concerned about someone else getting to the rifle that shouldn't? I am not being snarky, I honestly want your opinion on this.

Maybe it is just so when you charge it the bad guy will get scared and run away, just like with a pump shotgun? <snicker>

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have an AR pistol (w/brace) leaning against the side of my work desk in my home office. It is loaded, chambered, safety on. Then in the bedroom I keep a P226 loaded on top of my nightstand w/WML. Then in the corner is a loaded, chambered AR w/WML, safety on. In my bedside gun cabinet, unlocked when I am home, is a Rem 870 loaded with 00 buck.

Top Bottom