Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor ban

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Are you implying that "silencers" don't exist because of the term?

Are you aware that Hiram Maxim (the inventor) called it a silencer and his patent says "silencer"? We all know it only reduces the sound and nothing is 100% silent, but the aversion to what is factually the correct name for the device is silly in my opinion. Maybe I'm just not cool enough to say "supressor."

It's like magazine/clip.
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” -Plato

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

User Info Menu

I wasn't there, but I'm betting that the suppressor/silencer made no difference there.
    A homicidal maniac was the determining factor.
    Followed by no one having a gun to oppose him.

“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” -Plato

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

User Info Menu

And if we're using the criteria of this one shooting, to ban suppressor/silencers, are we going after all things that kill this much people nationwide?
    Cause that's a LOT of stuff to ban.

Premium Case Lube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by actaeon277 View Post
    And if we're using the criteria of this one shooting, to ban suppressor/silencers, are we going after all things that kill this much people nationwide?
    Cause that's a LOT of stuff to ban.
    Banning hammers, fists and feet will save more lives than banning all rifles.
    Premium case lube made in Fishers, Indiana.
    Now offering annealing services.
    www.Facebook.com/BadBrassSauce

60-Second or less reviews and videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2b...bDBOKiw9aT6rzQ

User Info Menu

It's like magazine/clip.
    Except people think that "silencer" is wrong when it's actually correct.

It's similar to a situation in which I say or write, "Just between you and me," and some helper "corrects" me with the all too common grammar failure, "just between you and <cough> I <cough>."

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Except people think that "silencer" is wrong when it's actually correct.

It's similar to a situation in which I say or write, "Just between you and me," and some helper "corrects" me with the all too common grammar failure, "just between you and <cough> I <cough>."
    I'm with Rhino on this one. I always call mine silencers.

My neighbors hate it too. "Are those even legal?"
    Yet if my wife says suppressor, my neighbors just ignore it and nod because they don't really understand that a suppressor IS a silencer.
    Stamp collecting is fun!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ggreen View Post
    Anyone still on the trump train?
    Exactly!
    Stamp collecting is fun!

User Info Menu

It's like magazine/clip.
    What? A silencer and a suppressor are the same thing, simply two different nouns for the same physical item. While a clip and a magazine are two different completely different things.

User Info Menu

Not to derail the thread OP, but I'm still buying them, the ban talk hasn't had me going the other way at all. My question is if there is a ban what is everyone who already owns them doing? It's not like guns, there is a registry with silencers. Is it going to be mass non compliance or are people going to fight if it comes to it? Most NFA guys are a different breed of gun owner and they tend to be my favorite!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bfish View Post
    What? A silencer and a suppressor are the same thing, simply two different nouns for the same physical item. While a clip and a magazine are two different completely different things.
    Go back in history and look.
    Manufacturers and designers have used both terms interchangeably.
    Even Army manuals.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast