• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Hey Acetaceon, why is there so much misinformation out there then about them being two different things (what I've always understood) and people getting upset about calling a magazine a "clip"? Do you think it's just forgotten history or is it that back then they didn't know any better but they really are different? While I say silencer, suppressor, and "can" all interchangeably I don't think I can bring myself to do it with clip and magazine.

I just think, no one actually came out and said
    Definition of magazine
    Definition of clip.
    It was made up as they went along.

I think the definitions we have now, were developed "after the fact".
    We came up with real nice definitions that make good sense.

But it's hard to change inertia.
    Everyone keeps interchanging. It's on tv. Neighbors use it wrong. It keeps getting passed around.
    It's like the meme on the Internet about the dark horse regiment just lost some people, and they're on their way home.
    It keeps coming up, year after year. And people keep passing it around.

And if a old veteran that fought Germans, or Commies, calls it a "clip", we'll I'm not going to be the snot nosed brat that tries to correct them.

I'll try to teach a new shooter, but really, I'm more interested in making sure they are safe, how they're shooting, and how's the targeting.

It's like suppressor/silencer.
    Maxim made the suppressor. If I remember it right, he named it a silencer.
    If he named it that, how can it be incorrect.
    We have changed it to more closely demonstrate that it does not "silence", to help define our pro-gun argument.
    But we're probably not going to change the minds of the millions who get their info from the tv.

And we're probably not going to change everyone's minds on clip/magazine.
    We can educate.
    But getting pissy about it will not really do anything.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Yeah, I agree with that. I just enjoy when people correct others one way or another when it comes to silencer or suppressor because there are people on each side of the fence it seems and rarely are they silencer or suppressor owners.

Sig made a shirt I'd wear but they aren't making anymore and it basically says
    "Silencer- Correct"
    "Suppressor- Politically correct"
    "Muffler- Technically correct"
    "Can- Tacticooly correct"

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I cannot see the same thing for silencers, especially since they are so heavily regulated and already illegal in most states that would favor an outright ban.

Silencers should be completely unregulated. We should be able to buy them at a fair market price from Amazon. There exists no legitimate reasons for regulating, much less banning them.
    ^ another +1.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Yeah, I agree with that. I just enjoy when people correct others one way or another when it comes to silencer or suppressor because there are people on each side of the fence it seems and rarely are they silencer or suppressor owners.

Sig made a shirt I'd wear but they aren't making anymore and it basically says
    "Silencer- Correct"
    "Suppressor- Politically correct"
    "Muffler- Technically correct"
    "Can- Tacticooly correct"

I would buy/wear that if I could find it!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    argueing the deffinition of the term wont matter, they'll word it something like "any device that muffles, dampens, or lowers the sound level of a bullet, shell, or cartridge being fired or expelled from a gun or any firearm"

you don't think these lobbying groups have lawyers?...I really surprised that when they banned "bumpstocks" they didn't add the phrase "or any modification that increases the rate of fire" ie binary triggers

again all this is, is a knee jerk reaction to a single incident, in fact I remember hearing the dumba$$ senator from new jersey (where they are illegal) saying that law enforcement (in new jersey) "continues to confiscate these tools of death across our state" he implied that they're coming in from Virginia and Pennsylvania LOL...like people are going to pay 200 bucks, wait 9 months, submit fingerprints, and then sell them illegally to someone in new jersey

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yes. We should point out to people, this is ONE SINGLE INCIDENT.
    Suppressors have been around how long?

Let's ban car mufflers.
    You don't need those unless you're trying to sneak up on people.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    This one is in jail now

uT3VT2j.jpg

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    It sucks this gets pushed now, but just imagine how much worse it could be I guess.

If you saw the dem debates, you know confiscation is what we'd be discussing right now, because they certainly were.

This is the danger of NFA items and why I've never been able to justify it. The ATF knows where every single item is at all times; with the stroke of a pen they can be at your door and taking your property without compensation, and no boating accident story is going to fly.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    If you saw the dem debates, you know confiscation is what we'd be discussing right now, because they certainly were.

This is the danger of NFA items and why I've never been able to justify it. The ATF knows where every single item is at all times; with the stroke of a pen they can be at your door and taking your property without compensation, and no boating accident story is going to fly.

Living in fear is another way they win. Trump himself lead the charge to outlaw bumpstocks without any buyback option. Just boom you're a felon now. Don't think for one second they couldn't /don't already have a fairly accurate profile on you from your bank records, browser history, and cloud storage. Having my pictures and address... No biggie.

Rather than fearing having a registered firearm, fear any person deranged enough to believe they should rule over supposedly free peoples. Both parties want a disarmed obedient populace feeding them tax dollars and breeding next generation fighters for them to send to war over resources under the guise of security. It's not left v right. It's freedom v servitude.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy

Where on my stamps does it say where I keep my NFA items? It could be in a sealed tube buried somewhere or in a safety deposit box or maybe a storage unit. As long as I'm the only one in possession, isn't that OK? If ATF knocks on my door asking to see it, I'll schedule a meeting at my & my lawyers convenience. I didn't grant ATF permission to barge into my house at any time by applying for that stupid stamp. I am not an FFL business.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Where on my stamps does it say where I keep my NFA items? It could be in a sealed tube buried somewhere or in a safety deposit box or maybe a storage unit. As long as I'm the only one in possession, isn't that OK? If ATF knocks on my door asking to see it, I'll schedule a meeting at my & my lawyers convenience. I didn't grant ATF permission to barge into my house at any time by applying for that stupid stamp. I am not an FFL business.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the ATF sees it that way.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Branch Davidians were accused of making full auto guns without stamps. I'm pretty sure .gov had a warrant and were not allowed in to search. If ATF has a warrant then come on over. I've got a Keurig & I'll make them some coffee.

Hi ATF guys! I still haven't sent in my Sig 22LR Form4. Please don't put it on the bottom of the pile when I do. K, thanks! :patriot:

Top Bottom