• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Are you implying that "silencers" don't exist because of the term?

Are you aware that Hiram Maxim (the inventor) called it a silencer and his patent says "silencer"? We all know it only reduces the sound and nothing is 100% silent, but the aversion to what is factually the correct name for the device is silly in my opinion. Maybe I'm just not cool enough to say "supressor."

It's like magazine/clip.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I wasn't there, but I'm betting that the suppressor/silencer made no difference there.
    A homicidal maniac was the determining factor.
    Followed by no one having a gun to oppose him.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And if we're using the criteria of this one shooting, to ban suppressor/silencers, are we going after all things that kill this much people nationwide?
    Cause that's a LOT of stuff to ban.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    And if we're using the criteria of this one shooting, to ban suppressor/silencers, are we going after all things that kill this much people nationwide?
    Cause that's a LOT of stuff to ban.

Banning hammers, fists and feet will save more lives than banning all rifles.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's like magazine/clip.

Except people think that "silencer" is wrong when it's actually correct. :patriot:

It's similar to a situation in which I say or write, "Just between you and me," and some helper "corrects" me with the all too common grammar failure, "just between you and <cough> I <cough>."

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Except people think that "silencer" is wrong when it's actually correct. :patriot:

It's similar to a situation in which I say or write, "Just between you and me," and some helper "corrects" me with the all too common grammar failure, "just between you and <cough> I <cough>."

I'm with Rhino on this one. I always call mine silencers.

My neighbors hate it too. "Are those even legal?"
    Yet if my wife says suppressor, my neighbors just ignore it and nod because they don't really understand that a suppressor IS a silencer.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Not to derail the thread OP, but I'm still buying them, the ban talk hasn't had me going the other way at all. My question is if there is a ban what is everyone who already owns them doing? It's not like guns, there is a registry with silencers. Is it going to be mass non compliance or are people going to fight if it comes to it? Most NFA guys are a different breed of gun owner and they tend to be my favorite!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    What? A silencer and a suppressor are the same thing, simply two different nouns for the same physical item. While a clip and a magazine are two different completely different things.

Go back in history and look.
    Manufacturers and designers have used both terms interchangeably.
    Even Army manuals.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I hate the "silencers don't exist". It's literally in the dictionary, and has been a long time.

FfcsW53.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Even with the subtle differences though, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary*defines*a clip as "a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles" and *"also*:*a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm."

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm not advocating mixing up clip-magazie.

But, getting all pissy with people about it doesn't help.

Lotta WWII guys call the 1911 mags, clips.
    I'm not gonna try to correct them.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Hey Acetaceon, why is there so much misinformation out there then about them being two different things (what I've always understood) and people getting upset about calling a magazine a "clip"? Do you think it's just forgotten history or is it that back then they didn't know any better but they really are different? While I say silencer, suppressor, and "can" all interchangeably I don't think I can bring myself to do it with clip and magazine.

Top Bottom