Join INGunOwners For Free

Poll: Can you live with an SAK as your only knife?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
    Going on a few years with mine. It'll serve you well. They make some good tools.
    Back in the early and mid 1980s, I used quite a bit. The allure of bigger, more substantial knives led me down the path of relegating my SAK to when I needed a specific tool like the can opener.

I'm doing some fire building practice next week. I might use the SAK, but I have an emotional need to use my Battle Horse fixed blade.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Yeah, I give my grandkids SAK's as their first knife until they are old enough to have a real knife!

Ron
    “We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level of our training.” -Archilochus

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    Back in the early and mid 1980s, I used quite a bit. The allure of bigger, more substantial knives led me down the path of relegating my SAK to when I needed a specific tool like the can opener.

I'm doing some fire building practice next week. I might use the SAK, but I have an emotional need to use my Battle Horse fixed blade.
    I get it. I've got bigger and more expensive knives myself. I had deployed with a kabar d2 extreme back when they were $200, with an emerson p-sark wave in my pocket. Backpacking solo I'll either take a custom jeff white, or a esee 6hm group buy special. On the water it's a stainless mora garberg or a esee izula stainless. For EDC, or doing anything outdoors with a group of people, it's my SAK fieldmaster with a ferro rod on the key ring. Everything has it's time and place.

This year at the upcoming Christmas, I intend to hand out swiss army fieldmasters to each of the "men" from each household who showed up without a tool to open packages and whatever. Every year is the same thing, "Can I borrow your.......". I'll get them one of their own, once.

User Info Menu

Short term, yes. Long term, not so much.

Survival shows, Appalachian Trail, etc. - those are all examples of short term.

I just don't trust a folder, as much, to hold up over a lifetime of hard use, as much as I trust a fixed blade. While either can fail, I'd expect a folder to fail first under similar usage.

But for short term use, no problem "getting by" with a folder; SAK or other.
    Nothing is everything, but everything is something. - Ayoob

User Info Menu

I get it. I've got bigger and more expensive knives myself. I had deployed with a kabar d2 extreme back when they were $200, with an emerson p-sark wave in my pocket. Backpacking solo I'll either take a custom jeff white, or a esee 6hm group buy special. On the water it's a stainless mora garberg or a esee izula stainless. For EDC, or doing anything outdoors with a group of people, it's my SAK fieldmaster with a ferro rod on the key ring. Everything has it's time and place.

This year at the upcoming Christmas, I intend to hand out swiss army fieldmasters to each of the "men" from each household who showed up without a tool to open packages and whatever. Every year is the same thing, "Can I borrow your.......". I'll get them one of their own, once.

I'll need the address and time so I can attend and "forget" my knife.

Quote Originally Posted by cosermann View Post
    Short term, yes. Long term, not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by cosermann View Post

Survival shows, Appalachian Trail, etc. - those are all examples of short term.

I just don't trust a folder, as much, to hold up over a lifetime of hard use, as much as I trust a fixed blade. While either can fail, I'd expect a folder to fail first under similar usage.

But for short term use, no problem "getting by" with a folder; SAK or other.

Yeah, it's easy to rely on an SAK or other light duty tool when the worst consequences of failure (not counting the blade closing on a finger) are that I have to use the Leatherman on my belt or one of the more capable folders or fix blades on my person at the time. Or, heaven forbid, I have to go to the garage to get a real tool!

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    I picked up a Cyber Tool at the 1500 last year. Got it from the guy that has tubs of knives proly from the TSA. Paid $40.00 and it stays in my car. I really dig SAKs and have maybe eight or nine laying about. My dailey carry is a Cadet with green alox scales. My initials and blood type are monogramed on one side.
    "If you are mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore, grab your rifle and head outside. If you're the only one with a rifle screaming like a maniac, go back inside. It isn't time yet"

"I saw a movie once where only the police and military had guns. It was called Schindler's List."

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

I'll need the address and time so I can attend and "forget" my knife.
    Only thing is that you may not like what I have engraved in the side of the knife before I give them out.

User Info Menu

Only thing is that you may not like what I have engraved in the side of the knife before I give them out.

rhino's tolerance for unknown engraving varies inversely with the price he pays for the knife!

INDIANA CONSTITUTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

rhino's tolerance for unknown engraving varies inversely with the price he pays for the knife!
    I can appreciate that, lol.

User Info Menu

But, how much blood have you drawn with it?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast