• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Can you live with an SAK as your only knife?

• Total voters

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Correct!

Among others, I have a stainless No. 09 Opinel in my pocket RIGHT NOW.

Is it the Rhino model with the round tip for safety? You're probably not allowed to have pointy knives anymore.

313g61f.jpg

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    As other knives come and go in my pocket, the SAK Tinkerer has been my EDC knife since 1990. I've had three, just buying the third last month. It always seems the red scales give up long before the blades/tools.
    Stay safe

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As other knives come and go in my pocket, the SAK Tinkerer has been my EDC knife since 1990. I've had three, just buying the third last month. It always seems the red scales give up long before the blades/tools.
    Stay safe

You can get replacement scales if you want to refurbish your older knives.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I have a yellow evo grip SAK w/ locking blade hanging on my keychain. Picked it up at Meijer for 20$. Wish it had the small blade but for 20$ i'll do with out. My keys are very easy to find now and no guessing which pocket they are in.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a sad. :( Just reached in my pocket for my old Deluxe Tinker and it was gone. Baggy cargo shorts so it probably fell out while sitting on the couch. I am sure it will show up. Sure the pliers are loose and the scissors broken but I liked my old knife. I had to resort to grabbing a brand new super tinker out of my little basket on the nightstand. To be honest the Deluxe tinker was a little thick and took up a fair amount of real estate in my pocket. When I find my old SAK I will probably toss it in my tackle box. I find the pliers handy for pulling out fish hooks.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have a sad. :( Just reached in my pocket for my old Deluxe Tinker and it was gone. Baggy cargo shorts so it probably fell out while sitting on the couch. I am sure it will show up. Sure the pliers are loose and the scissors broken but I liked my old knife. I had to resort to grabbing a brand new super tinker out of my little basket on the nightstand. To be honest the Deluxe tinker was a little thick and took up a fair amount of real estate in my pocket. When I find my old SAK I will probably toss it in my tackle box. I find the pliers handy for pulling out fish hooks.

Aw, man. I hate that. Hopefully you'll be reunited soon.

Until then, may I recommend using a tether connecting your SAK to your pocket, belt, or belt loop?

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I carry a SAK Pioneer for work as I’m in dress pants. It sits in a pocket organizer with a BIC and a AAA flashlight. Perfectly fine for most tasks.

My preference would be to complement that with a larger folder, like a Spyderco Manix or ZT 0452

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Aw, man. I hate that. Hopefully you'll be reunited soon.

Until then, may I recommend using a tether connecting your SAK to your pocket, belt, or belt loop?

I used to carry mine like that.In a leather sheath and connected to my belt with a chain.

I don't know if it's classy or dorky, or both.It's not discreet though, so not the best option in countries/places where you can't carry pointy stuff.

8867716661278_celum_128984_2000Wx1750H.jpg

It makes for a great improvised weapon too, when you swim around a long chain connected to a heavy knife with sharp blades sticking out on every sides.

You get that without the stick handle ... :whistle:

1200px-05-464.png

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I used to carry mine like that.In a leather sheath and connected to my belt with a chain.

I don't know if it's classy or dorky, or both.It's not discreet though, so not the best option in countries/places where you can't carry pointy stuff.

It makes for a great improvised weapon too, when you swim around a long chain connected to a heavy knife with sharp blades sticking out on every sides.

You get that without the stick handle ... :whistle:

Silvain with the flail for +5 to hit and double damage!

Which model of SAK do you carry? When I'm out and about, it's the Explorer Plus. When I expect to do outside stuff, I carry my Fieldmaster with the saw.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Silvain with the flail for +5 to hit and double damage!

Which model of SAK do you carry? When I'm out and about, it's the Explorer Plus. When I expect to do outside stuff, I carry my Fieldmaster with the saw.

It's also easy to damage your own face. :):

I don't carry one.
    I just have a Victorninox Spartan model in my medical bag that stays in the car.

SAK_1_3603__S1.jpg

It has just the basic fonctions so it's pretty slim and easy to carry, but no clip so easy to lose.

I have a larger one, a Wenger bought in Switzerland as a souvenir.It has several saws but it's much thicker so I don't carry it.

mrm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    the region
    This may be blasphemy, but i traded mine in for a leatherman- use it all the time though. Swiss army is definitely the classic.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    This may be blasphemy, but i traded mine in for a leatherman- use it all the time though. Swiss army is definitely the classic.

Victorinox make pliers-based multi tools as well, not sure how it compares to Leatherman though.

VN-53905.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

The correct answer to "SAK or Leatherman?" is: yes.

Victorinox make pliers-based multi tools as well, not sure how it compares to Leatherman though.

In my opinion, the Victorinox SwissTool models are the best on the market in terms of how well they are made. The only reasons to consider other brands are tool selection and price.

I put Leatherman at #2.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The correct answer to "SAK or Leatherman?" is: yes.

In my opinion, the Victorinox SwissTool models are the best on the market in terms of how well they are made. The only reasons to consider other brands are tool selection and price.

I put Leatherman at #2.

I've only used non-brand name multitool pliers.
    Leatherman tools are even more expensive than in the US here, so they are probably as expensive as Victorinox stuff.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've only used non-brand name multitool pliers.
    Leatherman tools are even more expensive than in the US here, so they are probably as expensive as Victorinox stuff.

How long before you can join us here permanently, sir? You understand how to be an American on the inside, so we just need to make that happen!

Top Bottom