• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    Just out of curiosity is there a limit on ammo per household? Does .22 count since it is not centerifre? What about components to reload, do they count? If you had five different calls and kept a couple hundred for each and 1 was a 22 (have three boxes of that) you are over 1000. I keep reading x thousands per rifle.
    1. I don't have that money.
    2. I can't devote a room to just ammo.
    3. Really? I mean REALLY?
    Anyway just curious.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I'm limited by my wife. She let it go for a while, until the wall on my side of the bed was completely lined with crates of 7.62x39, then she told me not to buy anymore.:dunno:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I think I understand the misunderstanding.

There's a lot of talk on here about having "1,000 rounds per rifle" or some such. That's not a law or anything. That's the minimum a lot of people like to have on hand. There's no reason. It's just the number a lot of people stick to. Nice and even. There are guys on here with buildings dedicated to ammo storage.

Have as much or as little as you want.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have heard there is a legal limit to the amount of powder an individual household is allowed to store.
    If I remember correctly, it is something like 20 or 25 pounds of powder. Anything in excess of that, but under 50 lbs needed to be kept in an ammo magazine.
    There were dimensions and materials listed for the magazine's construction, but I can't recall the details.

I do believe these were fire codes.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    No matter how many rounds of ammo you have on hand, if the media ever finds out about it the article will read something like "arsenal" or "large cache of ammunition".

Just saying....

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    No matter how many rounds of ammo you have on hand, if the media ever finds out about it the article will read something like "arsenal" or "large cache of ammunition".

Just saying....

Absolutely true. I remember one story the dude had like 4 magazines loaded and they made it sound like he was all four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I think there is still a law about the amount of black powder an individual can have. Fifty pounds, I believe.
    Nothing on ammunition or smokeless powder, as stated above.

snuffy33

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    Apr 25, 2008
    Indy

Just saying....

Who gives a rats azz what the media says???

npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    I think there is still a law about the amount of black powder an individual can have. Fifty pounds, I believe.
    Nothing on ammunition or smokeless powder, as stated above.

From what I'm reading according to the national fire codes, its recommended that upto 20lbs of smokeless can be kept in their original containers. Between 20 and 50lbs needs to kept in the original containers in a wood magazine or cabinet with side at least 1 inch thick. The reason being that wood is a decent enough insulator that should the house catch fire, it gives firefighters some working time before the powder ignites. If the wood does happen to burn through first and the powder ignites, there's less to no shrapnel.

Primers are limited to 10,000.

I'm not sure if the national fire codes have any weight of the law. However, many states and municipalities have either adopted the codes or have created more restrictive laws on how much one can have in their residence. I'm also uncertain if the code says no more than 50 lbs total or just no more than 50 lbs per magazine.

Looks like Black powder is limited to 50 lbs by the ATF.

Top Bottom