• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Simple job for real gunsmith.
    Turn down the bolt handle for scope clearance. Drill, tap and mount the scope.

So, finally got the word to come pick up the rifle.
    The bolt handle is butchered. Surfaces are uneven and have unpolished grinder marks.
    Welding performed isn't filled out so that it would clean up with surface finishing. It's permanently ugly now.
    Because of the new geometry of the bolt handle and the nob on the end hitting the stock, the bolt cannot come fully into locking position for firing. That means that this "gunsmith" was happy to give his customer a rifle that is literally unsafe to fire. And his take on it was that the wood would have to be removed from the stock when what needed to be done was properly shaping the bolt handle and the end nob. In other words, I'm done, accept my grin and take your rifle.

I looked at it, realized what I was faced with in this individual, paid my money, took my screwed up rifle and went home.
    I'm saddened by this experience, the lack of pride, the lack of ethics, the lack of integrity.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    That's messed up OP. I wish you luck.

Help us avoid the Smith and tell us the company or name they operate under.

No, sorry, I'm not naming names. I'm just telling the crowd to be careful, that and venting my spleen on Saturday morning. I asked around for a while trying to find a competent smith to no avail and finally just gave one a try. In some ways you could say I got what I asked for because I should have sent the job out of state to a qualified gunsmith that I know would have done it right. I may still do that if he would be willing try fixing somebody else's screw up. As it stands now I can grind enough off the bottom side of the nob and do the filing and polishing to allow the bolt to fully turn into firing position and return the rifle to safe functioning. Then I will see how load development works out and if further funds will be invested in de-bubba'ing the bolt.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    What's the point of making the post if you're just going to let him off the hook? What if I told you about a car dealership that put explosives in all their cars, but then "didn't want to name names, just wanting every one to be careful"? Kind of defeats the purpose of warning people, doesn't it?

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I don't understand the desire to protect someone who is doing work like this. I'd like to see some pics of the work and know who did it so I can avoid the same pain.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    No, sorry, I'm not naming names. I'm just telling the crowd to be careful, that and venting my spleen on Saturday morning. I asked around for a while trying to find a competent smith to no avail and finally just gave one a try. In some ways you could say I got what I asked for because I should have sent the job out of state to a qualified gunsmith that I know would have done it right. I may still do that if he would be willing try fixing somebody else's screw up. As it stands now I can grind enough off the bottom side of the nob and do the filing and polishing to allow the bolt to fully turn into firing position and return the rifle to safe functioning. Then I will see how load development works out and if further funds will be invested in de-bubba'ing the bolt.
    Can you at least give us a general location?
    Have you spoken to the smith about your disappointment and wish to resolve this properly? Sometimes communications may be thin in your finished product.
    There are also combinations that just don't work together and maybe a different route could have been taken.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    What's the point of making the post if you're just going to let him off the hook? What if I told you about a car dealership that put explosives in all their cars, but then "didn't want to name names, just wanting every one to be careful"? Kind of defeats the purpose of warning people, doesn't it?

Agree. He should be identified so the rest of us know who to avoid.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan

^^^ +1 I agree with this statement 100% but do understand the reluctance to name names. OP at the very least tell us what part of the state you are located in.

Edit: Dang great minds think alike.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana

So how do you propose that we 'be careful'? Ask someone if they plan to **** the gun up, and if they say no, then hand it over to them?

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    I'm with everyone else. If this gunsmith really performed the work you are speaking of, no one else here wants to do business with them.

If you really want to give them the benefit of the doubt first, ask them to fix their mistake. If they don't pony up the most you can do is make sure none of us have to go through the same situation.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    OP, I have to chime in and agree with everyone else here. You should try to get the gunsmith to correct their own work, or make it right monetarily. If they won't do that, then out them. As someone mentioned above, it does no good for you to tell us to "be careful." Whenever I am going to have work done, I try to do as much research as possible, and solicit feedback from folks at places like this forum in the spirit of "being careful." I don't think it does any good to just give the location of the smith, unless they are the only one in that town, in which case you might as well just drop the name. If there are more than one smith in that area, then you could be hurting the reputation of the other smiths who had nothing to do with your situation. Just my 2 cents.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OP......I understand not wanting to call anyone out especially if they are active on the forum.
    If they are not please PM me the name of the shop/individual and we will make a decision on how to handle this.
    It is hard enough to do things the right way without idiots claiming skills and delivering faulty fire arms.

I fear my reactions would have been far more visceral than yours.
    It is a bit hard to imagine a pissed off mouse but really, :):

Top Bottom