• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    As for shaping and welding the bolt handle, just remember, it can always be RE-welded, to add material and fill in cavities.
    The only caveat is the heat.
    As long as Bubba didn't overheat the bolt, and remove the temper (highly unlikely) it can be repaired. No "need" to replace it.
    Sure, that's yet more money. Then again, a new bolt will be even more, and would still require said adjustments.

Food for thought.

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I say name the offender or we're pulling you man card! You can't come on here making such a complaint and then not advising who to avoid. What was your purpose then????

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Out of the box a bit here...
    What kind of rifle?
    What kind of scope?
    What type of rings?
    Lots of options at times for drilling and tapping.
    Some weren't designed for scopes and certain sizes of scopes may NOT give necessary clearance with the handle even if the handle is turned and bent.
    Just trying to take all variables out of the mix.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I'm not a gunsmith and have zero dog in this fight, but the OP is an adult and can tell or withhold info as he chooses. I understand why you want to know, I want to know too, but you guys are acting like he owes you something, like you have a vote in his decisions. If he tells, he tells, but if I were in his shoes right now, my first reaction would be to tell everyone to suck it. Maybe he just wanted to vent.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Hey-
    I understand your reluctance to divulge but.............It is your absolute duty to keep this from happening to other victims.

I treat my guns as my own babies.
    If I had a babysitter that molested and abused one of my babies, I would definitely (at the very least) tell the public so their babies wont ever be exposed to the same travesties.

Please get with ChurchMouse to evaluate the situation.

Think of the CHILDREN! :(

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Gentlemen,
    I told you that I'm not naming names. I understand the interest in wanting the person named but no, that's not going to happen.
    If you are looking to get a bolt handle turned down be sure and take it to someone that you have already made sure they know what to do and how to do it.
    I shopped around, asked around to no avail (including here https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/gunsmithing/405513-scope-mount-98-muser.html), found no help and figured well OK, I'd give someone a try. From now on I will go with someone I know I can trust, even if means shipping to Puyallup, Washington, as my next project most certainly will.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Gentlemen,
    I told you that I'm not naming names. I understand the interest in wanting the person named but no, that's not going to happen.
    If you are looking to get a bolt handle turned down be sure and take it to someone that you have already made sure they know what to do and how to do it.
    I shopped around, asked around to no avail (including here https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/gunsmithing/405513-scope-mount-98-muser.html), found no help and figured well OK, I'd give someone a try. From now on I will go with someone I know I can trust, even if means shipping to Puyallup, Washington, as my next project most certainly will.

AllenM is fully capable of doing this work.
    He has done numerous things for me and several other folks I know personally.
    Consider him when you get ready to do the next one.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not a gunsmith and have zero dog in this fight, but the OP is an adult and can tell or withhold info as he chooses. I understand why you want to know, I want to know too, but you guys are acting like he owes you something, like you have a vote in his decisions. If he tells, he tells, but if I were in his shoes right now, my first reaction would be to tell everyone to suck it. Maybe he just wanted to vent.

I understand your point and agree that he can or cannot divulge any information he chooses to. However, on the flip side of the coin, everyone else on here is on just as equal footing as to what they can or cannot post. In a way we DO have not a vote, but a "forum", an ability to express an opinion regarding any other post.

Had he come on here and said, "Hey, I'm not really good with confrontations. Here is what happened, how should I handle this?" I think it would be very understandable for him to withhold the gunsmiths identity unless/until the issue was finalized.

But that is not what happened. He told a tale of woe and poor service - to what end? If he just wants sympathy I don't think this is the best place for it, at least not regarding an ongoing event. He lets us know there is a landmine of a gunsmith out there, but doesn't say where. Gee, no :poop:. There are a lot of bad accountants, attorneys, mechanics, plumbers etc. But just saying it does no one any good. The bad must be identified before damage is allowed to continue.

Perhaps the gunsmith is just starting out and could damage many more firearms before word of his lack of skill spreads. Just posting to :tantrum: seems to be the point of the post. And I understand everyone pushing to identify the alleged gunsmith with poor skill.

I guess this is where reading social ques comes into play. There are certain things you can post on and ask for sympathy. My dear friend passed away. My dog died. My cars transmission crapped and I can't afford to replace it. But posting about a threat and not identifying it is bad form.

Just my :twocents:.

Regards,

Doug

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    The OP can do whatever they want but this line right here taken from the original post should be reason enough for any conscientious person to give specifics about who performed such work. JMHO.

the bolt cannot come fully into locking position for firing. That means that this "gunsmith" was happy to give his customer a rifle that is literally unsafe to fire.

Or he can just say "suck it" like someone else suggested.

Top Bottom