• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    It looks like the deal is expected to close 1st quarter next year. I'm guessing the shareholders have to vote on this still.

I'm really not seeing much upside to the deal other than for Elliot Management.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I just had a buddy call and tell me this not too long ago... I really hope if this does go through that things don't change too much. There are things I like about each place, but I've always been able to find way better deals at Cabelas; hopefully that will continue.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    IMHO, neither store has good prices, but if I need a little something for reloading, etc. Bass Pro always seems to have it in stock or will ship to the store for no extra fee/ shipping. Bass Pro does have a lot of classes that they give for free. They also will allow pro gun/ hunting groups space to hawk their memberships, etc. The Bass Pro in Clarksville has far more merchandise than the Cabelas in Louisville, so there really is no reason to travel across the big brown water.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I live near Cabelas, and I get great deals there stacking sales, coupons, and discount gift cards.

I don’t see the same markdowns at BPS.

There is a BPS not too far away, I don't see them both staying open through this.

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    To me, they are two peas in the same pod. The only thing that makes either of them even "seem" to be a desirable place to shop, is a trip to Gander Mt.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I saw this story on my FB feed earlier this morning. Both are kind of fun stores to look around in. I went to the BPS in the Pyramid at Memphis this summer and it was really cool. How they turn profits with all that overhead and floor space used as props, I don't know.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I saw this story on my FB feed earlier this morning. Both are kind of fun stores to look around in. I went to the BPS in the Pyramid at Memphis this summer and it was really cool. How they turn profits with all that overhead and floor space used as props, I don't know.

You didn't look at the prices of stuff? They now have a large segment of the market cornered. Things are looking up for the small sporting goods section at Rural King! :)

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

I went back in April or May also... I was thinking the same thing, but it seemed like everyone was walking around with something. If 75% (high % I know) of the people that go in buy something they've gotta be making a lot money! I was staying with a friend who lives on mud island right over the bridge to the north of it and no matter when we drove by there were people. Heck it even has a hotel, restaurant, bar, lookout deal on top, they sell fudge and all of that other junk in there too, I think it's most certainly an attraction with the campers and everything else we saw going in.
    Off topic a bit, but they also had an indoor pistol range that we thought we'd go use. It was actually cheaper we found out than the local range my buddy always used, and it was 20min closer.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Well when K Mart bought out Sears they kept most of the stores open and brought some of Sears better products into K Mart.

I guess it is up to whoever pays the bills. Kinda like INGO.

npwinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2016
    Kouts
    Hammond Cabelas has had better prices on reloading supplies lately and better selection than the Portage Bass Pro.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    After all is said and done, I hope whatever happens works out for the good of the companies. Anti-gunners would be dancing on the grave of any retail outlet that sells guns and hunting merchandise that went under.

Top Bottom