• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    In order to see or buy the firearms behind the displays or in the displays you form a line sinilar to disney world or the bank in a roped off section. There you wait for an employee to help you.

You can free to just look at the display or firearms in the glass containers but no employee will help you unless you go to the rooe off section. This is done to ensure those interested in buying or touching actually get helped vs those just looking.

There self standing rack of guns you can just walk up to and pickup whatever rifle you want to buy. But again once ready to buy since you have no one on one employee with you, you will have to go to the rope of section to checkout

That must be a local store thing. I've seen customers huddled across the whole glass counter coonfingering whatever guns they could get the sales people to show them. Never saw it roped off.

ETA: usually it's not all that busy when I go. But I've seen it really busy and no ropes.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    That must be a local store thing. I've seen customers huddled across the whole glass counter coonfingering whatever guns they could get the sales people to show them. Never saw it roped off.

ETA: usually it's not all that busy when I go. But I've seen it really busy and no ropes.

The ropes are at the hammond, indiana cabelas.
    I have never been to the other locations so have no idea what they do there. Now a days i buy online, ship for free to the hammond store, pick up at the customer service counter and just walk out.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    This talk makes me miss the days when Sportsman's Warehouse was still open in Lafayette.

What was the sporting goods store down by the levee in W. Laf?

Used to stop by there when we would pick up 'Little Kings' from the local grocery 'Scotties?' (which I also don't remember) way back in College. Way back...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What was the sporting goods store down by the levee in W. Laf?

Used to stop by there when we would pick up 'Little Kings' from the local grocery 'Scotties?' (which I also don't remember) way back in College. Way back...

No, it was originally in the spot now occupied by Gander Mountain in the strip mall on SR26 and Creasy Lane. The prices were not great, but it was what Gander/Cabelas/BassPro would be if we got to decide what was in there. It was awesome for looking at stuff.

Back when Camillus went out of business and the Becker brand was in limbo before they found a home at Ka-Bar, the Becker knives went way up in price if you could find them. I was walking through Sportsman's Warehouse one day and noticed a BK-7 in one of the knife display cases for $39.99. Yes . . . yes . . .

They had stacks of Glocks and other brands of pistols on peg boards on the wall. It was awesome!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I liked GM when they were just mail order. I haven't been to a brick and mortar store. Heck, I remember when Herter's used to send me a huge catalog, when I was a kid. I loved getting stuff from them through the mail. Times change and sometimes not for the better.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I liked GM when they were just mail order. I haven't been to a brick and mortar store. Heck, I remember when Herter's used to send me a huge catalog, when I was a kid. I loved getting stuff from them through the mail. Times change and sometimes not for the better.

We used to go fishing up in Canada every year and Dad would always order fishing supplies from that big Herter's catalog. I loved that thing!

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    So it's been less than two years since this news, and I think it was last year that it was official that the deal went through.

I stopped at the two cabelas stores in SoDak, Mitchell and Rapid City, on my recent trip.

THEY'RE GETTING RID OF THE BARGAIN CAVE!!

The Mitchell store, which I was in a couple months ago when my Dad and I were out there for p-dog shooting, had their bargain cave well stocked. I picked up some parts for my coleman coolers, he found some $4 hats. This trip, it was less than half full. I asked the cashier, and she said they were getting rid of it and turning it into a family activity space. The half that was empty was already being positioned for a Labor Day thing for kids.

The Rapid store was less than 1/2 full of stuff. While I was in there, the guy at the counter said they were even getting rid of the bargain cave at the flagship store in Sydney. The cashier relayed that they were getting rid of the BC at 75 stores.

I has a sad. I've picked up some great deals in the cave over the years.

The only other change I noticed in both stores is that they have a lot more BassPro brand clothing on the racks. Prices seem to still be in line with before the buy-out(but I could be wrong). Oh, and all the fly-fishing flies at the Rapid store were from Umpqua and over-priced.

I haven't been to the Noblesville store recently, so not sure if the BC is still there. I was able to score a killer deal on a refurbed commercial meat slicer there a couple years ago.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    On another note, closure of the BC might mean my last stop there. They pretty much stopped selling reloading stuff, too. I needed four pretty basic items that weren’t there. Add on a long drive to Noblesville and it looks like an end of our relationship.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    At Hammond the same items were there for literally a year or more, prices were not better than found on the clearance racks, few people were ever in there. No big loss

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Well, it looks like the venture cap firm that bought out Dick and Jim's legacy finally got their payday.

Before that happened, there were basically only 2 Cabela's stores for a long time. I went to the one in Sidney several times, was disappointed in the Kearney store that was basically a front end to the big warehouse.

Top Bottom