• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    IMHO, neither store has good prices, but if I need a little something for reloading, etc. Bass Pro always seems to have it in stock or will ship to the store for no extra fee/ shipping. Bass Pro does have a lot of classes that they give for free. They also will allow pro gun/ hunting groups space to hawk their memberships, etc. The Bass Pro in Clarksville has far more merchandise than the Cabelas in Louisville, so there really is no reason to travel across the big brown water.

My experience is polar opposite of this; Cabelas in Louisville has better selection, better stock, and better pricing on ammunition, reloading components, and firearms than BPS Clarksville...despite BPS being a much larger physical space. They also have a larger selection of merchandise (at least the stuff I'd want to buy) available online *and* they have better sales.

Bass Pro is 10 minutes from my house and Cabelas is 30...but 4/5 times I make the drive to Norton Commons.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I live near Cabelas, and I get great deals there stacking sales, coupons, and discount gift cards.

I don’t see the same markdowns at BPS.

There is a BPS not too far away, I don't see them both staying open through this.

Same here. I always have preferred Cabelas and have flat out stole stuff from there at times. I always wait for a sale, coupon code, then whack them with club points. Actually the only way I can afford to keep shooting. Cabelas in Hammond has kind of gotten dumpy. Going to be interesting to see what happens.

Now for fishing Bass Pro has it going on. Last few times I had a few bucks to spend and needed some fishing gear I went to the BPS. They had everything I wanted on the shelf.

I don't see both staying around either.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    I hope they do close the cabelas in noblesville and open a large bass pro.
    That store is way too small and the inventory sucks compared to the bass pro and cabelas up north.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You didn't look at the prices of stuff? They now have a large segment of the market cornered. Things are looking up for the small sporting goods section at Rural King! :)

I remember looking at some stuff but I have to admit that unless I've bought an item recently, I'm a poor judge of whether something is too high. If I were tempted to buy something there, I'd pull out the old cell phone and check the prices elsewhere before making the decision. ;)

I went back in April or May also... I was thinking the same thing, but it seemed like everyone was walking around with something. If 75% (high % I know) of the people that go in buy something they've gotta be making a lot money! I was staying with a friend who lives on mud island right over the bridge to the north of it and no matter when we drove by there were people. Heck it even has a hotel, restaurant, bar, lookout deal on top, they sell fudge and all of that other junk in there too, I think it's most certainly an attraction with the campers and everything else we saw going in.
    Off topic a bit, but they also had an indoor pistol range that we thought we'd go use. It was actually cheaper we found out than the local range my buddy always used, and it was 20min closer.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the gun range. It wasn't huge, maybe a half a dozen lanes? But I thought it was cool to have that close to downtown. We bought a couple of cheap t-shirts there. So I don't know if I helped them out much or not :)

It was worth the trip and if you're traveling through Memphis, it's not really that inconvenient of a stop off the interstate. But it is Memphis--make sure you're armed.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    My 6 year old daughter loves both. Cabelas taxidermy display here in NWI is nice and she really loves all the kids activities that BP offers, especially around holidays. To me, yes they both can be higher priced, but there is always, and i mean always, something i can find a decent deal on everytime we go. Which is every weekend, alternating betweem the two. Kinda nice having both within 10 miles from home. I do definitely have my concerns when you lose competition. Usually doesn't work out from a consumer standpoint

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Heard on another forum (yes, there is another one) that there will be an investigation as to whether or not the sale is in the best interest of the Cabelas stockholders. Just advancing a rumor not heard at an LGS.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My experience is polar opposite of this; Cabelas in Louisville has better selection, better stock, and better pricing on ammunition, reloading components, and firearms than BPS Clarksville...despite BPS being a much larger physical space. They also have a larger selection of merchandise (at least the stuff I'd want to buy) available online *and* they have better sales.

Bass Pro is 10 minutes from my house and Cabelas is 30...but 4/5 times I make the drive to Norton Commons.
    This has been my experience as well. I like Cabela's. They nearly always have a good sale on at least some ammo I shoot. I rarely go to Bass Pro.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I just hope that the quality of the cloths, espeically the cabelas brand does not drop. I use their 7 pant cargo pants for work getting on the floor and it the ceiling and those pants are durable and last. 3 years of use, once a week wash and my work pants finally started to fall apart at the bottoms. The rest have held up great.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    IMO, Bass Pro has a wider selection of fishing gear but Cabela's has better quality branded gear, better selection of hunting and shooting gear, and much, much better sale prices. I have little hope that Bass Pro will avoid screwing up Cabela's.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have to say that BP is a better boat and fishing store, but their gun department *****.

EDIT: Wait, I just remembered, Cabella's "roped off" gun dept. does too.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Roped off?

In order to see or buy the firearms behind the displays or in the displays you form a line sinilar to disney world or the bank in a roped off section. There you wait for an employee to help you.

You can free to just look at the display or firearms in the glass containers but no employee will help you unless you go to the rooe off section. This is done to ensure those interested in buying or touching actually get helped vs those just looking.

There self standing rack of guns you can just walk up to and pickup whatever rifle you want to buy. But again once ready to buy since you have no one on one employee with you, you will have to go to the rope of section to checkout

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The gun counters in Hammond have the stanchion and tape type barricade in front of the gun cases. You have to go to the end near the archery section and stand in line until a salesman brings you in.

I complained to the manager the first time they did it at Thanksgiving thru New Year. he said that they nearly had a stabbing because a guy who was waiting got mad because they waited on someone else first.

The last two times I have been there they had them up even when there was not a high volume of customers.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    The gun counters in Hammond have the stanchion and tape type barricade in front of the gun cases. You have to go to the end near the archery section and stand in line until a salesman brings you in.

I complained to the manager the first time they did it at Thanksgiving thru New Year. he said that they nearly had a stabbing because a guy who was waiting got mad because they waited on someone else first.

The last two times I have been there they had them up even when there was not a high volume of customers.

Interesting. I havent been there i n a while. I guess it makes sense to do it that way for "orderliness".

Top Bottom