Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59
  1. #1
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    To sell or not to sell...

    I've seen a number of posts in various places about how gun owners should never, ever, ever sell any of their guns.

    I'd like to get a better understanding of what this thinking is all about. I know there's the "you'll regret it later" aspect of it, which I've definitely experienced myself, but is there more to the idea than just that?

    I will say, that a recent failed attempt to sell a pistol on armslist.com did leave me feeling a little relieved that it didn't sell. It's not a great handgun, and it's definitely redundant in my collection, but part of me really didn't want to part with it.

    Let me know what you think.

  2. #2
    Grandmaster indiucky's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by patience0830 View Post
    Thread killing historian.

  3. #3
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    If you have no other choice than to sell a firearm to keep up on your bills and food on the table, then do so. Otherwise, I wouldn't let go of any of my guns. JMHO.

  4. #4
    Plinker Falconpuch's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    I get a bill of sale and just sell the gun, there is my insurance. I haven't sold a gun yet that I regretted but my dear old 70' cl350, I miss you

  5. #5
    Grandmaster T.Lex's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieG View Post
    I've seen a number of posts in various places about how gun owners should never, ever, ever sell any of their guns.

    I'd like to get a better understanding of what this thinking is all about. I know there's the "you'll regret it later" aspect of it, which I've definitely experienced myself, but is there more to the idea than just that?

    I will say, that a recent failed attempt to sell a pistol on armslist.com did leave me feeling a little relieved that it didn't sell. It's not a great handgun, and it's definitely redundant in my collection, but part of me really didn't want to part with it.

    Let me know what you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by m82mike View Post
    If you have no other choice than to sell a firearm to keep up on your bills and food on the table, then do so. Otherwise, I wouldn't let go of any of my guns. JMHO.
    For me, it is more a function of how I received the start of my collection: inheritance. I'd bought a few firearms of my own, but then inherited several. It got me thinking about how the firearms represent a family legacy. None of them are particularly collectible, but that's not the point.

    So, the firearms I have purchased represent additions to that legacy going forward. My own contribution to it.

    Now, I did trade a rifle that I'd purchased for a shotgun set. For as long as they are mine, I get to control this little legacy thing. And, during some rough times, I did put out feelers for selling some that I'd bought.

    But, other than a financial need, I don't think I'd just sell some outright for cash. Upgrades? Maybe.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

  6. #6
    Sharpshooter walt o's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    When building a collection we sometime buy a gun to fill a particular nitch and later find a better specimen .So why not sell the lower quality one and let someone else fill a hole in their group.The difference of being a accumulator or a collector
    " Everybody in the world is ignorant.....Just about different things."

  7. #7
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by walt o View Post
    When building a collection we sometime buy a gun to fill a particular nitch and later find a better specimen .So why not sell the lower quality one and let someone else fill a hole in their group.The difference of being a accumulator or a collector
    That's a really good way to look at it. That was pretty much how I felt with this one. It's a cheaper handgun, and I have 2 others of higher quality in the same caliber, so I felt like it should go. I was going to use the cash to stock up on ammo, but the more I thought about it, the more it didn't feel right.

    Now, the odd folks I dealt with in responses to my armslist.com ad did contribute to my regret, but that's a whole other post in itself

  8. #8
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by T.Lex View Post
    For me, it is more a function of how I received the start of my collection: inheritance. I'd bought a few firearms of my own, but then inherited several. It got me thinking about how the firearms represent a family legacy. None of them are particularly collectible, but that's not the point.

    So, the firearms I have purchased represent additions to that legacy going forward. My own contribution to it.

    Now, I did trade a rifle that I'd purchased for a shotgun set. For as long as they are mine, I get to control this little legacy thing. And, during some rough times, I did put out feelers for selling some that I'd bought.

    But, other than a financial need, I don't think I'd just sell some outright for cash. Upgrades? Maybe.
    That's a good point T. My love started out over 30 years ago when one of my brothers gave me his Ruger 10/22. Legacy and something to hand down is an important part of it for me too. The first 3 handguns I bought were top-end because I wanted to have "heirloom" firearms that I could pass down to my kids.

  9. #9
    ACC
    ACC is offline
    Expert

    User Info Menu

    When I was younger and newer into the gun game, I bought a few different guns that were not worthy (Remington 597 .22LR, Mossberg 715T, S&W SD9VE, etc) of remaining in my collection once I determined the type and quality of the guns I wanted to collect. Those guns are now gone and I have no regrets.

    Now that I am older and more knowledgeable in collecting guns, I do not buy any guns that are not worthy to be in my collection. Therefore, since it is a collection, I will not be getting rid of any of my guns from here on out.

    Caveat...if one of my +/- $500 built PSA AR's is suddenly worth 5x as much due to stupid panic-ers.....I might reconsider

  10. #10
    Expert Hopper's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    This might be an odd response, but we have some hoarders (like on the TV show) on both sides of my family. After helping to clean up one of the inlaw's properties, and knowing I'll have to do the same at some point on my side, I have subliminally avowed that I will NOT become a collector of "things" for the saking of having "things". This goes with firearms as well.

    I recently posted and sold a couple pistols that ultimately weren't to my taste. One I may regret, but it wasn't a rarity that couldn't be easily replaced if I want to. And the sale of both are going towards a new purchase that I have been wanting for a while now. While it's harder for me to use the Goodwill rule of thumb with firearms (if I haven't shot it in over a year, do I really want to keep it?), I do try to stick with this mentality. It must serve a purpose, and practical purposes tend to get priority over taking up space in the safe for the sake of having something I don't use. To be fair, sometimes that purpose is as simple as it makes me smile when I shoot it.

    All this said, my collection has still grown over what it was last year, or the year before, and the year before that!

    Liberalism: a religion pretending to be a political movement.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Button Dodge