• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flyingbrian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Plainfield
    Was forced to sell all my firearms during my first and very short marriage. That left a sting that will not go away. Since that time I cannot bring my self to selling any of my firearms. Just recently ordered a new much larger Johnson Safe to store them all and make room for more

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    This may sound like heresy, but to everyone keeping every gun (and especially accessories): it is possible to inherit too much of a good thing. I was fortunate enough to inherit a very large collection from my wife’s grandmother. (Everybody’s dream, right?)

While I am incredibly grateful for those family guns, there were simply too many for me to manage, care for, and appreciate. No one needs 18 .22 rifles. So I sold off some of the collection, often times selling 3-4 guns, and using the money to purchase one quality firearm. Additionally, I gave some guns away to friends and family, which is a really cool feeling. If you have lots of guns, one .380 pistol might not mean anything to you, but give it to a young husband with no guns at all, and it becomes a prized possession.

My goal is to pass on QUALITY firearms to my kids. Quality over quantity.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Barring sentimental value they're tools. If a gun I own sits for a year without being productive in one form or another I usually sell them off and buy something different.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Also doesn't hurt to treat some as an investment. My Colt 100 Anniversary 1911, I'd like to think, will become more valuable over time. But maybe not... who knows.

I did get an idiot scratch on it, so that probably hurts the value.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This may sound like heresy, but to everyone keeping every gun (and especially accessories): it is possible to inherit too much of a good thing. I was fortunate enough to inherit a very large collection from my wife’s grandmother. (Everybody’s dream, right?)
    YES.

There's one cheap rifle I "inherited" that I can't wait to give to a descendant. :):

I say, sell them before you loose them all in a tragic boating accident. :(

The people that say to never sell guns are probably the same people that park on the street because their garage is filled with old newspapers.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Also doesn't hurt to treat some as an investment. My Colt 100 Anniversary 1911, I'd like to think, will become more valuable over time. But maybe not... who knows.

I did get an idiot scratch on it, so that probably hurts the value.

This is something older folks like me need to keep in mind. Yes, historically certain things like guns, and in some cases cars appreciated over time. Even stuff like stamps, coins, porcelain figurines, Beanie Babies, etc. had a run up.

Fast forward to when baby boomers are effectively done buying stuff(and that date is coming soon!), ask yourself; will the millennial's be interested in my "collections".

Personally, I'm not going to bank on it. I will enjoy the few firearms I have, then if my kids want them, they can have them. If not, I'll sell them knowing that I enjoyed them for a lot of years.

As for the other "stuff" I'm not a collector so it doesn't matter to me whether they hold a value or depreciate to Goodwill status.

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    I haven't owned guns for very long, so at this time I only see myself getting two or four more and probably stopping at that. I already have two rifles, one was my dads, the other I bought. I have three handguns, bought for various reasons. I still plan on getting a .22LR pistol, a 9mm carbine. After that I can only see myself getting a shotgun and a revolver sport/fun. I can only see one of the current guns that I might get rid of eventually.

How many of us have said something similar in the beginning :)

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I haven't owned guns for very long, so at this time I only see myself getting two or four more and probably stopping at that. I already have two rifles, one was my dads, the other I bought. I have three handguns, bought for various reasons. I still plan on getting a .22LR pistol, a 9mm carbine. After that I can only see myself getting a shotgun and a revolver sport/fun. I can only see one of the current guns that I might get rid of eventually.
    They're so cute when they're new. :lmfao:

To the original question, Depends. While they are tools I take care of my tools and don't deliberately or needlessly abuse them. If they happen to be damaged, so be it but I try to avoid damaging my tools or toys (range, track, or otherwise). I like guns from an engineering/technology standpoint so I have several that don't qualify for tool/found something better status. My SR22 does and I Just ordered a Smith 2206 so does anyone want a SR22?

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    This is something older folks like me need to keep in mind. Yes, historically certain things like guns, and in some cases cars appreciated over time. Even stuff like stamps, coins, porcelain figurines, Beanie Babies, etc. had a run up.

Fast forward to when baby boomers are effectively done buying stuff(and that date is coming soon!), ask yourself; will the millennial's be interested in my "collections".

Personally, I'm not going to bank on it. I will enjoy the few firearms I have, then if my kids want them, they can have them. If not, I'll sell them knowing that I enjoyed them for a lot of years.

As for the other "stuff" I'm not a collector so it doesn't matter to me whether they hold a value or depreciate to Goodwill status.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^IMHO...He nailed it with the above^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Dad? How did you get on INGO? You just talked to me Sunday to undermine my rationalization of a silly large collection as a 3-D SEP. Geez, let me build my irrational empire would ya.:D

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Kirk, you get a pass since you own S&W revolvers.;)

So THAT's what it takes to get a pass...I guess I bought one too.

I have tools my grandfather used, unfortunately none of them are guns, leftovers from 50yrs as a carpenter. I guess if the lights ever go out I can still build things. I always find it interesting how many of those I see in antique shops now.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So THAT's what it takes to get a pass...I guess I bought one too.

I have tools my grandfather used, unfortunately none of them are guns, leftovers from 50yrs as a carpenter. I guess if the lights ever go out I can still build things. I always find it interesting how many of those I see in antique shops now.

Carpentry tools virtually never lose there usefulness. I have many tools due to my lifestyle of home renovation as a hobby/personal necessity.

However, when I am finished with my current reno, I will be having a "sale" to rid myself of several specialty tools I have purchased over the years since this is my last major home reno.

Nitro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2017
    Columbus
    For me I get bored. I know that sounds crazy but I like challenging myself. Once I get overly comfortable with a firearm I like to sell it and try something new. There are a few items like my great grandfathers shotgun that I will never get rid of. But other than that I have no interest in “collecting” firearms. I think it is a waste of time and money to just have a firearm there looking pretty in the safe…. I prefer to shoot my firearms and train with them. I like diversity and trying new things. Depends on what type of person you are. For selling and purchasing just check their weapons permit and get a bill of sale then you are golden.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Carpentry tools virtually never lose there usefulness. I have many tools due to my lifestyle of home renovation as a hobby/personal necessity.

However, when I am finished with my current reno, I will be having a "sale" to rid myself of several specialty tools I have purchased over the years since this is my last major home reno.

I will never sell any tools. Ever.I am tool poor by any standards meaning I have "TOOLS".....lots of them. Carpentry machinists hand tools of every sort and size fabricating tools you name it. I may not use them all all of the time but when I need them they are at the ready.

I have sold 2 1911's recently. Replacing with 1 so I have a project. I get cranky if there is nothing to take apart.

Top Bottom