• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I am ready to cuss the wallpaper off the wall, because our obstructionist Congress cannot pass a budget. These bastards are playing political kabuki theater, while screwing over the country. CNN and MSNBC are both giddy in their reporting about a possible government shut-down.

If only our Founding Fathers had written term limits into the Constitution. Twelve years max as a Representative, (Six terms). Twelve years max as a Senator, (Two terms).

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Or, if our elected officials would only do what their constituents elected them to do.
    In any other walk of life, failure to adequately perform their assigned duties would result in disciplinary actions.

Very few occupations allow for complete dereliction of duty to go unchallenged.
    That's why a lot of these people go into politics in the first place.
    Zero accountability sounds pretty good if you can still get paid for it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Remember when democrats were wringing their hands kvetching about an imminent shutdown during the last administration? Remember the horror of seeing national parks being shut down? School kids starving? Grandma dying because her SS check was delayed? What a difference a change in administration makes...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Shut it down, good.

we have not had a budget in nearly 10 years. Lack of budget allows continuing resolutions. They do not want a budget. It controls their spending

2009 was last budget passed

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Outside of the beltway, does anybody care? This has happened so much over the years that I've lost track. Drain the swamp!

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I care. I’m a federal worker and the toying with our pay gets tiring. It’s not our fault that our legislators can’t get their **** together. Having said that, I totally understand why people have no sympathy for the government. The constant punting of the budget is ridiculous and irresponsible.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I can see your paycheck being an issue. Emergency fund times if politics can stop your income I suppose. Orlike a sales guy paid on commission with variable income throughout the year.

Everyone always gets back pay. Shut it down.

They do it with my income too. Medicare SGR payments, Medicaid refusing to pay for a while, etc. sucks.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    dems are only doing it for 800k illegals....

But that's not how the uninformed public will see it....neverminding the fact that a couple of GOP senators aren't onboard, as well. They'll go, "the Republicans hold the House, the Senate, and the White House, and the govt is shutting down why?" The president said that he would support ANY bipartisan deal that came to him. A bipartisan deal was made, presented to Trump, and he lied and rejected it. So now the Democrats aren't playing ball.

IndyGal65

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Speedway, IN
    I can see your paycheck being an issue. Emergency fund times if politics can stop your income I suppose. Orlike a sales guy paid on commission with variable income throughout the year.

Everyone always gets back pay. Shut it down.

They do it with my income too. Medicare SGR payments, Medicaid refusing to pay for a while, etc. sucks.

True, we have always been paid back, and for a non-government person, i can see why that would be infuriating. Although, my office (SSA disability) is considered essential, and we continued to hold hearings during the shutdown. If I remember right, our entire office was called into the office during the last shutdown. Luckily, we were paid for our time, albeit late. You’re right though about having an emergency fund! It does burn my biscuits though that Congress gets paid no matter what.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    But that's not how the uninformed public will see it....neverminding the fact that a couple of GOP senators aren't onboard, as well. They'll go, "the Republicans hold the House, the Senate, and the White House, and the govt is shutting down why?" The president said that he would support ANY bipartisan deal that came to him. A bipartisan deal was made, presented to Trump, and he lied and rejected it. So now the Democrats aren't playing ball.

OMG..........A politician lied..........OMG

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It goes to show how desperate the Dems are to keep the pipeline of illegal and indebted voters flowing that they would risk people figuring out that how little of the government is actually necessary with a government shut down.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It goes to show how desperate the Dems are to keep the pipeline of illegal and indebted voters flowing that they would risk people figuring out that how little of the government is actually necessary with a government shut down.

Ya know, I actually kinda agree with the above. I think the Democrats are exploiting Democratic voters who actually DO think that Dreamers should be protected. Amongst Democrats, I think there is a strong belief that illegals brought here as children, should be given the opportunity, if law-abiding and productive, to become citizens. That video of the 40 year old guy being deported to Mexico, who was brought here at 10, and had never had so much as a traffic ticket, has been playing very well for the Democrat party.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Ya know, I actually kinda agree with the above. I think the Democrats are exploiting Democratic voters who actually DO think that Dreamers should be protected. Amongst Democrats, I think there is a strong belief that illegals brought here as children, should be given the opportunity, if law-abiding and productive, to become citizens. That video of the 40 year old guy being deported to Mexico, who was brought here at 10, and had never had so much as a traffic ticket, has been playing very well for the Democrat party.

Sadly you are very much on point. But it's even WORSE then your statement.
    I have a relative who always votes straight D. This relative would like all illegals in the USA to be able to apply for citizenship. When this relative heard about the deal that was made between the Ds and Rs do you think this relative was happy? Nope. The relative was livid that the Rs were asking for all that money for the wall and border protection. This relative said the Rs are making this deal so expensive to allow the DREAMERS in that it is not worth it. :facepalm:

Even if Trump and Congress tomorrow passed a new law that allowed all the illegals in the USA to automatically be US Citizens effective say 01/20/2018 this relative of mine would still NEVER give Trump credit. This relative would still find something wrong with the law.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Mattis: US national security focus no longer terrorism - BBC News

Since it relates to the budget.

I'm all for letting the generals do the generalizing, but I'm a bit concerned at making Russia/China a higher priority than terrorism. I'm not vehemently against it, but would like to understand the rationale better.

Plus, based on the dynamic between Trump and Kelly over the last week, I half expect Trump to tweet something about how Terrorism will remain our #1 priority.

Top Bottom