Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: August 15th

Expert

User Info Menu

If you fry them, you know how the "brownies" are like glass? I fry them until brown but not totally done, then put them in a veggie steamer for a cycle.

Crispy on the outside yet fall off the bone tender.

It gives you a chance to make gravy while they steam...
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

Marksman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger_Ronin View Post
    Successful morning for my little buddy. Perfect weather.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    That is awesome for both you and your daughter! I remember being young and going with my dad. He let me carry my Lone Ranger cap gun. He sometimes got frustrated when I would spot one before him, then "shoot it" before he could! I was king of the forest when I graduated up to using his Marlin Model 60 and got my first squirrel. Your daughter is old enough now that she will remember and cherish these memories you are making together!

mrm

User Info Menu

spent a couple hours last week without getting a bead on one - wasn't even mad, it's just good to be out again

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by freekforge View Post
    Since it was only me eating I didn't mind it being tough so I just tossed it on the grill. But this one wasn't near as tough as some I've had in the past. Usually I throw it in the crock pot for a few hours and then finish it on the grill. Throw on some homemade bbq sauce and it's good good good.

A pressure cooker makes it fast and easy. About 15 minutes at 10# of pressure. Then throw it in a pot with some bbq sauce for about 10 minutes at a simmer.

I have even boned them out raw, ground the meat with the kitchen aid, then mixed with Italian sausage for meatballs.
    Just call me lollipop.

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger_Ronin View Post
    Successful morning for my little buddy. Perfect weather.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    Ohhhh I remember the first day I took my daughter! One of my greatest daddy days, we sat in the woods and I taught her how to hunt and gun safety in the woods.

Now we get the woods and she piles out in her camo while I am still getting the rest of my coffee down, races off into the woods in a berage of 10/22 fire laying to waste very squirrel in her path....they grow up so fast!

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    Is this a good nut year?
    Judging by my backyard I would say the walnuts are doing very well. Walked out on the back porch this weekend and the entire backyard was covered with cuttings and there was four of them up there nibbling away.

They have been working on them for close to a month and doing a GREAT job of cutting them up into little bits so my mower doesn't have to. Only saw six hole nuts on the ground yesterday and those were in the dog run.(Risk v/s reward)

User Info Menu

I neglected to give a opening day report. ONly went in the morning. Went to favorite ridge in woods and the greys were going crazy on a big (and i mean big and tall) shell bark hickory. I only got two. 20 just isnt enough gun for trees this size and eyes not good enough for 22. Anyway I wont get to go again until thursday morning and i will take the trusty ole single 12 and should do better. Should have had a limit!! All greys.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phatgemi View Post
    I neglected to give a opening day report. ONly went in the morning. Went to favorite ridge in woods and the greys were going crazy on a big (and i mean big and tall) shell bark hickory. I only got two. 20 just isnt enough gun for trees this size and eyes not good enough for 22. Anyway I wont get to go again until thursday morning and i will take the trusty ole single 12 and should do better. Should have had a limit!! All greys.
    Get you a good 4-12 scope and a 17 hmr and there not safe within sight lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

I was out in the yak this afternoon. Seen 3 big red squirrels chasing each other around, up and down the same hickory.

Also seen three guys, one shooting a .22 rifle. The ricochet got my attention. Don't know if the guys were hunting or not, but I'd question their choice of shooting location. They didn't stick around long enough for me to get to them.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

Plinker

User Info Menu

Had good luck Saturday morning. 17 Mach 2 Marlin. My favorite squirrel gun.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast