• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I can't see 'em good enough with the leaves up to be using my .22. 12 gauge it is until the leaves drop. :rockwoot:

Am I allowed to spotlight squirrels? I got a weapon light...

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Successful morning for my little buddy. Perfect weather.
    454e95c0781892b192d46b78586b6eb3.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I think opening day is a "never again" for me, unless someone wants to slip me about a million dollars to get my own property and never deal with public land BS again.

Dude was posted up barely a hundred yards in from the parking, pointed down the trail so nobody could get past him without breaking his 180. Utterly clueless that anyone was coming up behind him, of course. Had some squirrel activity above him, so I figured I'd give him five minutes to take a shot and then head past.

Turned into spending half an hour of peak activity time watching him shoot and miss, wait for the stars to re-align, then shoot and miss again. Lost count of the number of easy opportunities to blow multiple rats out of the trees. Finally started swinging his gun around and muzzling me without looking behind him, so it was time to scuff my foot and clear my throat. Yeah big surprise dude, I've been here the whole time, nobody else can get to the entire rest of the woods while you're there, situational awareness have ya heard of it? :rolleyes:

Finally got past, hiked a while, took an unsuccessful shot at a runner on the ground. Sun came up, activity tapered off, hiked a while longer and went home.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Any of you early hunters run into warbles on squirrels? I witnessed a video and it was extremely disturbing. Yet another reason to hold off.

Going to keep fishing.......ok I'll have the gun with me in the boat in case a shot opportunity arrives. Cast and blast trip.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Any of you early hunters run into warbles on squirrels? I witnessed a video and it was extremely disturbing. Yet another reason to hold off.

Going to keep fishing.......ok I'll have the gun with me in the boat in case a shot opportunity arrives. Cast and blast trip.
    I haven't seen one in years. If I find one on a squirrel the whole thing is pitched. On a deer, different story.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Ticks and fleas on the squirrel is too much a reason to wait until I can see my breath much less the ticks on me...
    I killed well over 100 squirrels a season for an average the last 45 years and have never seen a flea or tick on one.Occasionally a warble on gray squirrels,never on a fox squirrel.Have seen all on rabbits.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Warbles are unsightly and disturbing to see, but they are only skin deep. The meat is not affected. I've not run into them a lot, but a good handful of times. I would never waste a squirrel over one. Those larvae cannot get you.

Is this a good nut year? Seems as though the limbs were heavy with accorns over the water I've been fishing.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I killed well over 100 squirrels a season for an average the last 45 years and have never seen a flea or tick on one.Occasionally a warble on gray squirrels,never on a fox squirrel.Have seen all on rabbits.

I've seen plenty of fleas. Never a tick tho'.

Killed one a few years ago that looked like a shar pei dog. Extra skin wrinkled up all over him. I've lost the pix but he was weird.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I went out at 1630 today and got one. Really was a lot of fun I had to really try to get close enough for a shot. It would bark then go silent so I'd let out a blast from the squirrel whistle and it would bark and go quiet. We did this for a while until I finally caught a glimpse of him and let the winchester do its thing. Unfortunately I hit him on the run and didn't lead enough so he was gut shot which was an unpleasant cleaning experience but he still tasted good on the grill.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I went out at 1630 today and got one. Really was a lot of fun I had to really try to get close enough for a shot. It would bark then go silent so I'd let out a blast from the squirrel whistle and it would bark and go quiet. We did this for a while until I finally caught a glimpse of him and let the winchester do its thing. Unfortunately I hit him on the run and didn't lead enough so he was gut shot which was an unpleasant cleaning experience but he still tasted good on the grill.

How do you cook 'em on the grill so they're tender? I usually parboil 'em til tender b4 I consider any other steps.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Since it was only me eating I didn't mind it being tough so I just tossed it on the grill. But this one wasn't near as tough as some I've had in the past. Usually I throw it in the crock pot for a few hours and then finish it on the grill. Throw on some homemade bbq sauce and it's good good good.

Top Bottom