• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    If you fry them, you know how the "brownies" are like glass? I fry them until brown but not totally done, then put them in a veggie steamer for a cycle.

Crispy on the outside yet fall off the bone tender.

It gives you a chance to make gravy while they steam...

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Successful morning for my little buddy. Perfect weather.
    454e95c0781892b192d46b78586b6eb3.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

That is awesome for both you and your daughter! I remember being young and going with my dad. He let me carry my Lone Ranger cap gun. He sometimes got frustrated when I would spot one before him, then "shoot it" before he could! I was king of the forest when I graduated up to using his Marlin Model 60 and got my first squirrel. Your daughter is old enough now that she will remember and cherish these memories you are making together!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Since it was only me eating I didn't mind it being tough so I just tossed it on the grill. But this one wasn't near as tough as some I've had in the past. Usually I throw it in the crock pot for a few hours and then finish it on the grill. Throw on some homemade bbq sauce and it's good good good.

A pressure cooker makes it fast and easy. About 15 minutes at 10# of pressure. Then throw it in a pot with some bbq sauce for about 10 minutes at a simmer.

I have even boned them out raw, ground the meat with the kitchen aid, then mixed with Italian sausage for meatballs.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Successful morning for my little buddy. Perfect weather.
    454e95c0781892b192d46b78586b6eb3.jpg

Ohhhh I remember the first day I took my daughter! One of my greatest daddy days, we sat in the woods and I taught her how to hunt and gun safety in the woods.

Now we get the woods and she piles out in her camo while I am still getting the rest of my coffee down, races off into the woods in a berage of 10/22 fire laying to waste very squirrel in her path....they grow up so fast!:shoot::laugh:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Is this a good nut year?

Judging by my backyard I would say the walnuts are doing very well. Walked out on the back porch this weekend and the entire backyard was covered with cuttings and there was four of them up there nibbling away.

They have been working on them for close to a month and doing a GREAT job of cutting them up into little bits so my mower doesn't have to. Only saw six hole nuts on the ground yesterday and those were in the dog run.(Risk v/s reward)

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I neglected to give a opening day report. ONly went in the morning. Went to favorite ridge in woods and the greys were going crazy on a big (and i mean big and tall) shell bark hickory. I only got two. 20 just isnt enough gun for trees this size and eyes not good enough for 22. Anyway I wont get to go again until thursday morning and i will take the trusty ole single 12 and should do better. Should have had a limit!! All greys.

frydarinj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2019
    US
    I neglected to give a opening day report. ONly went in the morning. Went to favorite ridge in woods and the greys were going crazy on a big (and i mean big and tall) shell bark hickory. I only got two. 20 just isnt enough gun for trees this size and eyes not good enough for 22. Anyway I wont get to go again until thursday morning and i will take the trusty ole single 12 and should do better. Should have had a limit!! All greys.
    Get you a good 4-12 scope and a 17 hmr and there not safe within sight lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I was out in the yak this afternoon. Seen 3 big red squirrels chasing each other around, up and down the same hickory.

Also seen three guys, one shooting a .22 rifle. The ricochet got my attention. Don't know if the guys were hunting or not, but I'd question their choice of shooting location. They didn't stick around long enough for me to get to them.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Had good luck Saturday morning. 17 Mach 2 Marlin. My favorite squirrel gun.

7750cb439a2a9e74b23cb89d49dfa3cd.jpg

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Great gun and great hunting!

I took a short walk yesterday before a storm rolled in. Didn't see wildlife of any kind. Great to be out exploring and carrying my favorite shotgun.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Curiosity: anyone else doing some scouting whilst hunting?

Seen some decent (deer) tracks last week. Lot of activity in the area, considering the planting rotation is all screwed up.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    Did manage to get out around 7:30 Saturday morning. A friend and I each took 2 older teenage boys with us that had never hunted squirrels. We ended up getting 7 grays total with all of them on pignut hickory trees(did not see a fox squirrel). Three of the boys got squirrels. One young man managed to get 3 of them with an old single shot 20ga that I loaned him. I only accounted for one with my .22 rifle. Demonstrated how to properly clean and cut up for cooking and then we fried them up with mashed potatoes and squirrel gravy on Sunday. Best meal of the year!

The only downside was that we ran into some seed ticks or maybe chiggers. I'm still scratching!

IMG_4556~01.jpg

Last edited:

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Hoping to go out Labor day weekend with baby girl. Still have some in the freezer from last year but what is a couple more...LOL

Wife and daughter #2 have NO INTEREST in eating tree rat!:dunno::laugh:

frydarinj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2019
    US
    Had good luck Saturday morning. 17 Mach 2 Marlin. My favorite squirrel gun.

7750cb439a2a9e74b23cb89d49dfa3cd.jpg

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    I have a 17 hmr that I love. Do you think there is any advantage of the mach 2 over the hmr? Dont need another gun but well....you know lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    So far this year I've harvested squirrels with the winchester 1300, remington tac14 (I developed a tight shooting load), and the cold steel blowgun. My girlfriend got me a 10/22 for my birthday that I still need to take out. I also want to try my air gun.

The blowgun with the razor broadheads was very effective they were dead before they hit the ground. Like all hunting you have to know when to shoot and only take ethical shots that are within your range.

randy68

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Finally made it out Friday morning. Managed to get three with my Taipan Veteran .22 pcp. Saw several more but didnt take any more shots. These were all greys and shot out of a couple pignut trees next to each other.

Attachments

• IMG_20190907_18350.jpg
      IMG_20190907_18350.jpg
      159.7 KB · Views: 9
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom