Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

Do You Field Dress Your Deer Kill or Haul It Back to Camp?

I saw this question on another forum, but most of the comments were from the far West or the deep South. It made be wonder what is typical in Indiana. I am still only a wanna be when it comes to deer hunting, but as I hope to get in the game next season I have already started the learning process. So, how do you accomplished deer hunters handle your kills?

Do you gut your deer in the field or in the camp? Or do you take it straight to the processor?

How does this affect your gear and knife selection?

Looking to learn from the veteran hunters. Thanks.
    A man's got to do what a man's got to do. John Wayne

Plinker

User Info Menu

You could start out by watching some videos on you tube, but you should honestly field dress right away, that means gut the deer being carefull not to cut any insides or guts, makes for better meat, you only really need a medium sized blade about 5 inches, or get a gut hook knife and run it down body to neck and let guts roll out.Take it to proccessor as soon as you can to get meat hanging in a cooler.

User Info Menu

I field dress right away. Depending on the outside temp and time of day, sometimes I pack the cavity with ice and hang it over night then take it to processor the next day. If it's warm out I take it to processor right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by KJQ6945 View Post
    Jagee makes Beetlejuice look like a *****!

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

I take it out of the woods and into the field. Hang. Later cut up enough for the coolers and transport home. How long it hangs depends on time and weather. I will she in the coolers for a couple of days. Riga mortis must have been done before I do final processing.

User Info Menu

I always want to gut as soon as possible
    There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

You want the meat to go from alive to under 40 degrees ASAP. That can only be accomplished by field dressing quickly. Even if handled ideally, the body cavity filled with ice or snow, it still takes longer than expected for a dear with hide to cool the backstraps and loins.

A lot of the reason for some folks not liking venison is poorly handled meat.

My personal advice would be to study up on butchering yourself also. Best venison you'll ever get, if handled correctly. Hard to trust a processor after you have done this for the first time.
    Last edited by bwframe; 3 Weeks Ago at 17:02.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Im on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

Gut ASAP. I prefer a good old Buck 110 to accomplish this chore. Not too big but big enough to go through where it needs to.
    Hanging depends on weather. The goal is to get the meat to 40* as quickly as possible without freezing. We process our own so sometimes they sit in the refrigerator or hang for a couple of days. When put in the fridge we quarter and bag them.
    Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean nobody is out to get you.

Marksman

User Info Menu

I always gut right away and will quarter it out if temps are above 50 degrees. If I quarter it then the quarters and backstraps go in a cooler with the drain open and filled with ice. I will keep it in the cooler for about a week before completing the butchering.

Expert

User Info Menu

Deer is field dressed asap, elk is field dressed and deboned in the field{been a few years for me on this} Proper care in the field and when you get home with it is very important, when i hunted deer a lot, i actually built a small cooler in the barn so i could keep the skinned carcasses cool and let them properly drain before butchering, also always deboned never cut thru bone as i think the marrow gives it a off taste!

Marksman

User Info Menu

Gut ASAP if you have to drag the carcass out. Last few years I have been quartering the deer (aka the gutless method) and just hauling out the usable portions and leaving the rest for the yotes.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast