Do You Field Dress Your Deer Kill or Haul It Back to Camp?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    If I can drag or cart a deer out, I field dress it as soon as possible (preferred). If not, I check it in with my phone before cutting it up and packing the meat out. If I use the latter method, then there's no real need to gut the deer at all.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If the deer runs onto anothers property I'll drag it back to mine before I field dress it just as a curtesy so I don't leave a great big messy pile of guts on someone elses land.

For field dressing I really don't care for using a bigger fixed blade and almost always have my case XX changer with me mostly because it's a case knife and reminds me of my grandpa. I'll have that handy kit and an esee izula 2 or some other small fixed blade because I have found it's a lot easier to baton through the ribs and really open them up. The gut hook or two finger method works the same to me anymore to the point where I really don't care.

I usually do a pretty bad job downstairs especially around the pelvic bone. I'd love to get better and do a better job on that part of it for sure.

backpacker05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2019
    Noblesville
    Always gut it as soon as possible. I always process my own deer so this is an important step for sure and makes for an easier trek out of the woods. I don't see any reason to not gut it before transporting it anywhere. I carry a small sheath knife which I have used for years. Practice makes perfect but youtube is a great resource for learning these types of skills.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Got one over the weekend and dragged it 50 - 75 yards back to my property. We took it because she had an injured leg and when I opened her up it was a complete mess and the stomach had been ruptured. I'm not sure if I got a little too far back or what, but she got double lunged and dropped in 10 seconds. I tried pouring fresh water inside the cavity to wash some of the yuck out, but I don't know how well that doe is going to turn out for eating. She had a bad leg and had to get put down.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I've killed deer nearly every year from the time I was 14 to today - aged 56.

I have always gutted it on the spot. Day, night doesn't matter. Guts come out ASAP.

Now the thing that I had to learn was what to do after that deer was gutted. I used to get to the butcher ASAP. Then I'd hang it for a day or two and take it in.

Now that deer has to be hung for at least 1 week and better yet 2 or 3 weeks at below 40 degrees. If you can build a cooler large enough great, if not have the butcher hang for you if he has room. It makes all the difference in the world between tough, dry, gamey venison and terrific, tender juicy table fare.

Just like good beef, deer meat needs to be treated in the exact same fashion. Best beef is hung for 3 weeks or more. Your deer should be too.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Hat's off to all of ya'll.....I am very impressed.

I'm not a hunter, never been hunting even though I would have loved to try it. Dang, I only had venison chili once many many years ago. Not being from Indiana and growing up in a large metro area, never thought to try it; never even crossed my mind.

Good read....

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Hat's off to all of ya'll.....I am very impressed.

I'm not a hunter, never been hunting even though I would have loved to try it. Dang, I only had venison chili once many many years ago. Not being from Indiana and growing up in a large metro area, never thought to try it; never even crossed my mind.

Good read....

I agree with your assessment. I am still hoping to get into deer hunting someday. It is on my bucket list.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I am not an expert or "accomplished" by any means. This was my first season.

I skinned and quartered my buck as soon as I got him drug out into an open area. There are a few tweeks I would make, but that process worked fine.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    When I am shooting does out west, many times I have pulled the trigger, field dressed and hung her in a tree (head up) all within about 10-12 minutes. I just like to get the heat out quick and let that blood drain the quickest I can.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    yes, great info as I read them.
    some things I do are from experience-
    field dress @ kill site or close as practicable.
    use a small 3 inch clip blade & sheepsfoot blade that I carry everyday.
    start daylight or dark because very simple from experience.
    roll deer on its back if possible.
    start w/ incission @ sternum breast bone.
    insert carefully not to puncture the stomach & then bladder as move to the pelvis
    use V of index & middle finger to keep space for blade.
    cut around the anus.
    reach inside body cavity & cut the muscular diaphram to reach up to remove the lungs. heart. liver. Reach as far as you can inside to grab the windpipe & esophagus. insert your knife & cut them just above your hand.
    now every internal organ can now be pulled out if you roll the deer on its side.
    now ready for best part. put deers front feet overits ears then tie them.
    I use a saftey harness looped around deers head so it's easy to drag to camp or pickup spot.
    easy.
    Then I hang for 3 to 7 days if temp. 40 degrees or less.
    skin & bone. cut & pack at home. then freeze. yum

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    yes, great info as I read them.
    some things I do are from experience-
    field dress @ kill site or close as practicable.
    use a small 3 inch clip blade & sheepsfoot blade that I carry everyday.
    start daylight or dark because very simple from experience.
    roll deer on its back if possible.
    start w/ incission @ sternum breast bone.
    insert carefully not to puncture the stomach & then bladder as move to the pelvis
    use V of index & middle finger to keep space for blade.
    cut around the anus.
    reach inside body cavity & cut the muscular diaphram to reach up to remove the lungs. heart. liver. Reach as far as you can inside to grab the windpipe & esophagus. insert your knife & cut them just above your hand.
    now every internal organ can now be pulled out if you roll the deer on its side.
    now ready for best part. put deers front feet overits ears then tie them.
    I use a saftey harness looped around deers head so it's easy to drag to camp or pickup spot.
    easy.
    Then I hang for 3 to 7 days if temp. 40 degrees or less.
    skin & bone. cut & pack at home. then freeze. yum

Lots to learn on this thread. Thanks to all who contributed to my education.

Roadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2019
    Nashville
    As soon as I am sure that the deer is dead. I start the gutting process. I want to get that meat cooling as quick as possible. An old high school friend uses a very sharp Case penknife and is unbelievably smooth and efficient with the job.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I read a fatality report where an elk hunter was pulling the blade towards him, it slipped he and stabbed himself in the leg. Got his femoral artery.

Had a guy I went to H/S with almost die this way. Cutting up a doe in his kitchen. If he hadn't stuck a finger in the vein, he'd have bled out b4 the ambulance arrived. Guess the kitchen was a real mess.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Since camp isn’t far from hunting, I gut and skin at camp. It doesn’t add more than 15-20 minutes, and is much easier to do it all from same spot, on a tripod with a pulley, in a barn. Once done, deer can age there and be boned out. One stop shopping.

Top Bottom