Do You Field Dress Your Deer Kill or Haul It Back to Camp?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    Since camp isn’t far from hunting, I gut and skin at camp. It doesn’t add more than 15-20 minutes, and is much easier to do it all from same spot, on a tripod with a pulley, in a barn. Once done, deer can age there and be boned out. One stop shopping.

Are you required to take the deer to a check in station prior to skinning and processing? I am not familiar with the rules.

Kgrubbs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2020
    Warsaw
    I field dress it right after harvest .after I get it home I wash it off with garden hose then hang it and skin it if possible, it cools meat a lot quicker.you want to get it cooled as soon as you can .we made a lot of summer sausage, this is only way my wife will eat it.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Field dressing is done in the field. It is truly an art to do fast and efficient. Takes practice over a lifetime.
    Learning to process yourself seems overwhelming, but is more intimidating than it actually is.

And as for knife suggestions? After all this time, this one is my favorite to gut a deer. Hands down. (After being a 110 guy for years)

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Schrade-Old-Timer-152OT-Sharpfinger--22081

Top Bottom