Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Marksman

User Info Menu

Letís talk chainsaws

Hey guys. Iím in the market for a chainsaw. It looks like the last thread on this was a few years old so I figured I would start a new one to get some reviews for newer models.

I have about 5 large trees down that I need to take care of and some other logs laying around Iíll probably clean up. After that, itíll probably be used a few times a year. Iím looking at 20Ē bar models. Iím not really looking for a pro series saw. I was hoping to be around $300 but Iím not finding much that looks very good in that price range so Iím hoping to stay around $400 unless there is something less expensive that works well. Wanting to see what others have had good luck with. Leaning between Husqvarna and Stihl right now. What works for INGO?

User Info Menu

Stihl. Full stop. Buy once cry once.

I know they dont make them like they used to, but I've got one I inherited from my dad. Its so old the bar is stamped "Made in West Germany." Still runs like nobody's business.

I've heard Husqs are OK, though not as durable. You would probably be OK with one of those if you are just going to do occasional cuts/trims after this batch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!! WhitleyStu's Avatar

User Info Menu

Stihl... I have lots of outdoor gas equipment including weed eaters, edgers, leaf blowers and chainsaws. We always buy Stihl. Lots of dealers and parts are readily available.
    NRA Life Member since 3/15/89
    I donít carry a firearm for self-defense because Iím an optimistÖ
    Facts seldom stand in the way of what someone wants to believe.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Any model recommendations? For Stihl I was looking at the 271.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WhitleyStu View Post
    Stihl... I have lots of outdoor gas equipment including weed eaters, edgers, leaf blowers and chainsaws. We always buy Stihl. Lots of dealers and parts are readily available.

One caveat to that. ONLY buy Stihl professional grade. (more expensive orange and white) I have a neighbor that bought into the "Stihl is always great" and bought several of their cheap consumer grade all white equipment. It all suffers from the same poor quality parts that big box store equipment like Troy Bilt does; works great the first year, after that, good luck getting it started and running reliably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

Master

User Info Menu

Lots of good Stihl dealers around...

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere KellyinAvon's Avatar

User Info Menu

I tell ya'll what, the last chainsaw Dad had before they moved up here was an Efco (made in Italy.) It was set up to run on aviation gas and would flat-out saw some wood. I had a bud who was from South Carolina who said, "When you think about Italy, you think about food, and wine, and sports cars, and women, you don't think about chainsaws. Do they know what a chainsaw is?" They must've had an American explain chainsaws to them is all I can say.
    INGOer #25,448

User Info Menu

I have dropped 53 trees since November 1 (mostly dead ash trees, but one Osage and one maple). All of that has been done with a Stihl 271.

I also have a 53cc Jonsered that is now old enough to buy its own drinks, but that thing is heavy. In the past I've only used that beast when working on Osage trees, but the 271 has been good enough that I haven't had the Jonsered out at all in over a year.

Only about 15 more trees to go.
    "The problem with internet quotations is that many are not genuine." -Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KellyinAvon View Post
    I tell ya'll what, the last chainsaw Dad had before they moved up here was an Efco (made in Italy.) It was set up to run on aviation gas and would flat-out saw some wood. I had a bud who was from South Carolina who said, "When you think about Italy, you think about food, and wine, and sports cars, and women, you don't think about chainsaws. Do they know what a chainsaw is?" They must've had an American explain chainsaws to them is all I can say.
    I have an small Echo I bought at Lowe's in 2005 and it won't quit. I've neglected the hell out of it and it just keeps ticking. Original spark plug is still in it, has never seen Sta-bil or any attempt at properly storing it and it sat unused for 3 years at one point. Pulled it out of the case, put some fresh fuel in it, primed it 4 or 5 times and it fired right up.

When I decide I need a bigger saw I'll be buying a Stihl but that old Echo has turned out to be a great saw.

ETA: Oops., just looked again and saw that you didn't say Echo , don't have my readers on
    There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

User Info Menu

The Echo CS-590Timberwolf is a heck of a saw. The fact that it is affordable makes it that much better.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-20-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Stihl PRO models are top of the line, but the home/farm lines are not worth the coin.

Unless you literally make your living with them, buy the Timberwolf and love life.

-guy who used to do it for a living

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast