• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Are you set on a 24" bar? I have dropped a ton of trees over the years and there are very few you can't handle with a 14" bar.

They are lighter, faster to handle, and wont wear you out as fast. I can limb out a tree and chop it up twice as fast with a 14" bar than a 24" bar...just my two cents.

I have Stihl MS 180C that I have had for 18 years...it is on it's third bar and at LEAST the twelfth chain and still fires first pull....buy a stihl whatever you get.

I've talked to several people who cut trees for a living and they all say the same thing.
    Use the SMALLEST chainsaw you can find that will get the job done.

Like I said up post, I've got a good bit of woods to cut, but rarely find anything my 16" Stihl won't handle.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Are you set on a 24" bar? I have dropped a ton of trees over the years and there are very few you can't handle with a 14" bar.

They are lighter, faster to handle, and wont wear you out as fast. I can limb out a tree and chop it up twice as fast with a 14" bar than a 24" bar...just my two cents.

I have Stihl MS 180C that I have had for 18 years...it is on it's third bar and at LEAST the twelfth chain and still fires first pull....buy a stihl whatever you get.

Guy with a longer bar and a little experience will make you look slow with that stubby blade. And walk less doing it.

SNAFU-M1A

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Morgan Co
    While you’re buying your saw get a good pair of chaps & one of the helmets with the face shield & ear-pro built in. Definitely worth its weight in gold.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Took me a lot of years to finally wear out my old stihl. I gave it nothing but abuse and neglect. I gracefully dropped it into the trash-o-la. It owed me nothing. Stihl is all I would consider again for a saw.

Their other equipment on the other hand is absolutely garbage.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Stihl is what I use. Old farm boss 041 and newer 16in for smaller cleanup. I hate lugging a big saw all day when the little one can to the job.

Another company no one ever talks about anymore that make good saws is Dolmar. They have no marketing here in USA hardly but many people swear by them.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    My family all uses Echo chain saws. My dad has a cs-4600 that is probably about 30 years old and runs like a top. He cuts around 20 pickup loads of wood a year with it and has since he owned it. My brother and BIL both have the Echo cs590 and the love them. I just have a cs400 since i just trim trees on my property and cut just enough wood for camping. They all run great.

Last edited:

Roadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2019
    Nashville
    Stihl has been our go to on the family farms because they run all day long, parts and the rarely needed repairs are not difficult to come by.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    I have a Lowes purchased 16" Husqvarna that is about 10 years old. There have been a couple times that I wish I would have bought a bigger saw, but on my 20 acres it does OK. My biggest issue with it is that it leaks oil when it sits. I had it serviced at a couple different places over the years and both techs told me the same thing, that those saws just leak oil. One even replaced the seals and said the same thing - might work for a while, but will eventually leak. So I just store it in the plastic chainsaw case with a large rag under it.

My next saw will either be a Stihl (preferred by my wood cutting neighbor who has 3) or an Echo.

Great discussion - I've always used pump gas, but will keep the ethanol free in mind for my next saw.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    I’ve had an echo cs450p that’s served me very well for farm use. I’m not a timber guy, but I’ve put this saw to work with lots of firewood and clearing trails. I’d buy another echo in a second.

Last edited:

sempreobie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Boone County
    Bought the Stihl MS 271 C Farm Boss, with 20" bar, back in late 2000's. I have used it to cut enough firewood to heat our home every winter since. I am certain it will outlast my back and give my young son's a run for the money! Quality gas + quality oil + quality maintenance + used SAFELY = no problems.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My first saw was a used Poulan Pro 20" from cm, it did what I asked of it cutting rounds for splitting. Then the OG bought a new Farm Boss with both 16" & 20" bars, the 16 has never been on the powerhead. We started felling standing dead and cutting larger diameter rounds. The only complaint the OG ever had with the 271 was she didn't have the strength to start it cold, but once I'd started it and ran it for 5 minutes she had no problems. It is a bigger saw and will wear you out.

For her birthday this year I bought OG a MS180CE 16" EZ start. She loves the EZ start feature and hotrods it around limbing and cutting rounds whenever she pleases with no assistance.

The Poulan sits most of the time now to the point it wouldn't start. I've put a new carb on it and am trying to get it to idle when warm.

002.jpg

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I can recommend what NOT to buy. I picked up a Husqvarna 455 rancher several years ago. Decided on that over a stihl 291. Saw cuts good, but pukes bar oil until the tank is empty while it's just sitting. Had it in for repair several times under warranty to no avail. Infuriating.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My first saw was a used Poulan Pro 20" from cm, it did what I asked of it cutting rounds for splitting. Then the OG bought a new Farm Boss with both 16" & 20" bars, the 16 has never been on the powerhead. We started felling standing dead and cutting larger diameter rounds. The only complaint the OG ever had with the 271 was she didn't have the strength to start it cold, but once I'd started it and ran it for 5 minutes she had no problems. It is a bigger saw and will wear you out.

For her birthday this year I bought OG a MS180CE 16" EZ start. She loves the EZ start feature and hotrods it around limbing and cutting rounds whenever she pleases with no assistance.

The Poulan sits most of the time now to the point it wouldn't start. I've put a new carb on it and am trying to get it to idle when warm.

002.jpg

They showed me an EZ-start model when I bought my MS250 but I shied away from it just because it seemed like something that could go wrong. Sounded good in theory though!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    They showed me an EZ-start model when I bought my MS250 but I shied away from it just because it seemed like something that could go wrong. Sounded good in theory though!

It's a spring loaded gizmo in pull mechanism. We bought it because it solved a specific problem for the OG. She'll put hours on it but not "everyday limbing and rounding for keeping the homestead warm in the winter hours". Otherwise I would be worried on how long it will last.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    While you’re buying your saw get a good pair of chaps & one of the helmets with the face shield & ear-pro built in. Definitely worth its weight in gold.

And this ^^^. Sawed for 3 years before I wised up and lowered the risk of injury. You can get the same equipment without the fancy logo for about 20% less on Amazon (aka the Sears and Roebuck of the 21st century).

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Slight little change of plans. Dealer ran out of the 271 and got a shipment of the wrong 20” bars. So between him and his stihl rep they’re putting me in an ms291, with a sweet little deal. Made it worth the slight upgrade.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Slight little change of plans. Dealer ran out of the 271 and got a shipment of the wrong 20” bars. So between him and his stihl rep they’re putting me in an ms291, with a sweet little deal. Made it worth the slight upgrade.

That is an opportunity I would NOT turn down. Good for you!

Top Bottom