• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The 271 is a good unit for the price point. For not a lot more money, the 291 is a better unit imo.

The ms261 is the pro grade saw in that 50cc class and it's worth every penny over both that I listed above. Lighter, faster, more power, and easier to work on.

A lot of dealers will give discounts if you ask and pay cash. I give 10% off on pro saws for example.

Whatever you buy, use high octane e free fuel only and quality 2 cycle oil.

Www.Pure-gas.org

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Have three Stihl saws, an 046, 029 Pro, and a battery operated one for the wife. They cover all the squares required as I live in the woods and heat with wood.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Every tree company I have seen in our neighborhood, and there are a lot, whether a small 2-man team or a multi-million dollar operation uses Stihl almost exclusively.

I don't own a chainsaw but if I was going to buy one, Stihl would be good enough for my purposes.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    You've gotten lots of good feedback so far on brands/models.

I'd recommend that you find the GOOD equipment dealer/service location in your area, and buy what they support.
    You'll be there eventually for something, and it's going to be easier for both of you if they're carrying what you're using.

Regardless of the Brand or Model you end up choosing, read up on the "features"
    One bit that I was surprised about, many saws no longer have adjustable oilers... and that just seems stupid to me.

Further, those without are designed to run very dry resulting in extra heat in the chain & bar (like 2:1 on fuel-to-lube)
    I've resorted to adding some between cuts from a squeeze bottle :n00b:

My biggest regret with that purchase. I'd have spent another couple of bills for the ability to undo the broken environmental restrictions.

Much prefer my smaller, older, simpler 018
    Cast bodied, no operator assists. No safety, no warnings, no labels.

A bloodied (preferably yours and at least one other's), greasy (edible oils are grounds for revocation), well-worn ManCard must be presented, before being allowed to observe its use.

Last edited:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    You want to cut down 5 trees and use it a few times a year.

Few times a year for what? Downed limbs and a tree here or there?

I am a wus, so I try not to think bigger is better. IF you use it much, weight definitely becomes a factor. If a 14 inch gets the job done, buy it. I have several acres of woods and I have a 14 inch Echo, a 18 inch and 20 inch John Deere (think they were made by Stihl but not sure) which JD no longer sells their own branded stuff.

That said, I grab the Echo several times a year. The others mostly sit. They MAY get ran every other year.

For what you want, I would go with an Echo. Nice saw, fits budget.

Hey guys. I’m in the market for a chainsaw. It looks like the last thread on this was a few years old so I figured I would start a new one to get some reviews for newer models.

I have about 5 large trees down that I need to take care of and some other logs laying around I’ll probably clean up. After that, it’ll probably be used a few times a year. I’m looking at 20” bar models. I’m not really looking for a pro series saw. I was hoping to be around $300 but I’m not finding much that looks very good in that price range so I’m hoping to stay around $400 unless there is something less expensive that works well. Wanting to see what others have had good luck with. Leaning between Husqvarna and Stihl right now. What works for INGO?

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    I have twenty acres so last year I got a Husqarna 450 Rancher. I read a lot of reviews that stated you can't go wrong with one of them or a Stihl. I went with it because of the two year warranty, which doubled if you bought three cans of their premixed gas with it. It is hard to beat a four year warranty on a chainsaw.

Riflemen14

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 15, 2010
    Wells County
    Great Topic, I'm also looking to get a new saw also. Lot of good info here. Will most likely get the Stihl MS271. A Stihl dealer is in Huntington. The saw should be more than cover my needs. And great info on using AV fuel. Thanks OP and all who posted. Made picking one easier.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've got a Stihl MS250. Couldn't be happier with it, but it's described as being for "occasional use", which is perfect for me as a homeowner. Lightweight, with an 18" bar. I primarily use it to take care of big branches that come down during storms but I've taken down a big Bradford Pear with it too. Always fires right up when I need it.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/homeowner-saws/ms250/

I also have a Stihl leafblower and gas powered hedge trimmer too. Always been pleased with all of them.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    Thank you for all the replies. I went today to a new local shop. They’re exclusively stihl and also sell non ethanol gas. Actually they have premixed that they make there too if you want it. I do like the idea of having somewhere local to go for parts etc. I live in a small town so no other brands have any local support here. Plus the guy was nice so Im pretty sure I’m going to buy there. He recommended the ms250 or the ms271. There is only about a $40 difference. We used to have a husky dealer but they moved to another town.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    the 5 trees are already down so I just need to cut them up. Largest has a base of about 24” diameter or so. The others are a little smaller. After a big cleanup of the woods this year it will basically be used for large limbs and other trees that may fall. I won’t normally be dropping trees unless I think they are a hazard and are going to fall soon anyway.

You want to cut down 5 trees and use it a few times a year.

Few times a year for what? Downed limbs and a tree here or there?

I am a wus, so I try not to think bigger is better. IF you use it much, weight definitely becomes a factor. If a 14 inch gets the job done, buy it. I have several acres of woods and I have a 14 inch Echo, a 18 inch and 20 inch John Deere (think they were made by Stihl but not sure) which JD no longer sells their own branded stuff.

That said, I grab the Echo several times a year. The others mostly sit. They MAY get ran every other year.

For what you want, I would go with an Echo. Nice saw, fits budget.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    One more thing I found strange about my particular Stihl was the recommended configuration listed on their website is not how they sell or offer it. For example, the Farm Boss I purchased either came with an 18 or 20 inch bar (which was fine with me per intended use). Website states that Stihl only recommends a 16 inch bar for this particular model. On one of the several times it’s been into the shop I happened to catch the Stihl Rep and asked why they sell a saw in a configuration that’s against their recommendation. He didn’t have a good answer and I had to show him on the website where it was highlighted in yellow stating such. I own a Stihl pole saw (which is awesome) as well as blower and weed eater. So, not hating on everything Stihl. I haven’t popped for the 16 inch bar and chains yet. It would likely help it as it seems underpowered. The echo cuts so great and starts so easy that the Stihl only serves as a back up.

bkflyer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Where do you buy av gas? Can you go to the local airport and buy 5 gallons of av gas? Is it 100LL?

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I have a really old Farm Boss with a 24" bar. Still runs like a champ. RPM to Power ratio is killer. This thing just growls and keeps cutting. Smaller saws sound like a japanese scooter in comparison.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Where do you buy av gas? Can you go to the local airport and buy 5 gallons of av gas? Is it 100LL?

Doesn't have to be "Aviation" gas... just ethanol free (which isn't always labeled in Indiana)
    But this is a good source for finding some that IngoMike posted in #21

Though, I've had very little trouble with premium pump gas & Sta-bil.
    I don't use enough 2-cycle to justify searching for pure gasoline (not as easily found in NWI).

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    Though, I've had very little trouble with premium pump gas & Sta-bil.
    I don't use enough 2-cycle to justify searching for pure gasoline (not as easily found in NWI).

I've been doing something similar for years in everything that isn't used daily...premium pump gas(not for the octane but for the higher detergent amounts), Sta-bil at their recommended amount, and about 1oz per gallon of Sea Foam

The Pure-Gas link shows a few places in Michigan City to get it....might just get a few gallons to use in the lawn stuff this summer...

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    My dad is a logger. We have had tons of saws. We like echo but they won’t hold up to logging. All of the saws we use now are stihl 660. So we would vote echo for light home use or stihl if being heavily used.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Are you set on a 24" bar? I have dropped a ton of trees over the years and there are very few you can't handle with a 14" bar.

They are lighter, faster to handle, and wont wear you out as fast. I can limb out a tree and chop it up twice as fast with a 14" bar than a 24" bar...just my two cents.

I have Stihl MS 180C that I have had for 18 years...it is on it's third bar and at LEAST the twelfth chain and still fires first pull....buy a stihl whatever you get.

Last edited:

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    20” bar is what I plan on getting. Probably buying the ms271 with 20” bar tomorrow.

Are you set on a 24" bar? I have dropped a ton of trees over the years and there are very few you can't handle with a 14" bar.

They are lighter, faster to handle, and wont wear you out as fast. I can limb out a tree and chop it up twice as fast with a 14" bar than a 24" bar...just my two cents.

I have Stihl MS 180C that I have had for 18 years...it is on it's third bar and at LEAST the twelfth chain and still fires first pull....buy a stihl whatever you get.

Top Bottom