Bersa Thunder or Beretta Cheetah 84 .380?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have been looking at The Bersa SS .380 (which came on my radar when I bought a new Bersa 22LR).
    There are several used available and new at Hoosier Armory only a little more, so I'd probably buy new to get the warranty unless I found one less expensive to buy than what's being advertised.
    I want Stainless Steel (of course) and there is an 8, 10, 15, and 17 round version available.
    $300+/-
    Since I have two other .380s that have 5-6 rounds, I should probably get the higher round count if I was to get one.

Then here in the classifieds is a Beretta Cheetah 84 SS .380 (13 round as opposed to the 85, an 8 round), both models running $800 new at Hoosier Armory.
    The Beretta is so much more expensive but there is a sweet one with a good profile here on sale here in the Classifieds but we are too far away in price (He's asking $650 firm).
    Paying more for a Beretta Cheetah .380 than I did for my Ruger SR 1911 is not logical, but it is what it is:
    I still can't get over 22LR guns costing more than alot of 9mms either. :laugh:
    Don't know whether to let both .380s go, or get the less expensive Bersa, or whether the Beretta Cheetah is worth paying double for: my SS lust is coming back to haunt me again.
    I have a Colt Mustang SS .380 (w/4 mags) from the late 1980s I kept and this summer I bought a S/W M/P Bodyguard .380 just b/c it was a Smith and the price was great.
    I bought the Smith Bodyguard just for price and have intended to sell it or my Colt, and I can't imagine selling the Colt, but I need to spend more range time before I make that decision.

If anyone knows reasons I should not buy the Bersa (I have a new 22LR I enjoy which is what put the .380 in my radar): speak up.
    If anyone knows reasons the Beretta should be bought instead despite its price being so much higher: speak up.

Anytime I pay more for a gun it hasn't done anything for me.
    My Ruger SR 1911 fiasco being my latest lesson learned, and I'm afraid the Beretta 84 would be the same.

I should perhaps not buy any more of the .380 caliber and sell one of the two that I already have.
    I have also thought that if I was going to buy a .380 (especially the Beretta that is bigger than my Shield 9mm), I should perhaps buy a smaller 9mm than my Shield since some of those are as small as a .380.

Yes, I do love the hunt.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

1. Churchmouse: you always make me smile. :thumbsup:
    2. I could learn from your brevity, and perhaps I would have friends if I emulated that; my wife would definitely like me better.
    3. You torture me with your lack of processing, which I believe is your goal: you know it must raise 100 questions. :laugh:
    4. But I will respond in kind: well, this is brevity for me. :lmfao:

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Yep, beretta. They make a quality weapon.

Do yourself a favor and Google "bersa thunder problems". Write down the number of different threads on various forums with this topic.

Then do the same for the beretta.

You will answer your own question quickly.

Just fyi....9mm ammo is much cheaper than 380. Just sayin' :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Do yourself a favor and Google "bersa thunder problems". Write down the number of different threads on various forums with this topic.

I hate to be "Literal" churchmouse and offend all the happy Bersa owners on the forum. Not offense to the Marque. None at all. I know many happy owners but they do not shoot much.
    The fact you could not give me one is a non-factor here.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    C M, I know you aren't bashing. I'm not either. I did do the searches mentioned above.
    Beretta score:1 problem thread
    Bersa score: multiple pages of problems threads

As a buyer, that tells me all I need to know. I dont buy to have issues. Regardless of brand.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Well, I have both Bersa and Beretta pistols, and the Model 84 is not a very comfortable carry and the Model 85 is marginally better....still a tad on the big side though. These are very high quality pistols, and the Model 85 (if I am not mistaken) is not made by Beretta anymore, just the Model 84.

The Bersa Thunder 380 I have has been a very good pistol too, but does not have the panash of the Beretta....but mine has been a very good performer for about ten years now. JMHO.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I can't think of a reason to buy either one :ingo:

1. I get that.

2. That is in everything I've read this pm.

3. This is exactly what I did and you are exactly correct.

4. Believe me, the way my mind works: been there and thought that!

C M, I know you aren't bashing. I'm not either. I did do the searches mentioned above.
    Beretta score:1 problem thread
    Bersa score: multiple pages of problems threads
    As a buyer, that tells me all I need to know. I dont buy to have issues. Regardless of brand.

5. I got the exact same results.

Well, I have both Bersa and Beretta pistols, and the Model 84 is not a very comfortable carry and the Model 85 is marginally better....still a tad on the big side though. These are very high quality pistols, and the Model 85 (if I am not mistaken) is not made by Beretta anymore, just the Model 84.

The Bersa Thunder 380 I have has been a very good pistol too, but does not have the panash of the Beretta....but mine has been a very good performer for about ten years now. JMHO.

6. I appreciate everyone taking the time to help educate me: always has been a process. :)

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Never handled the Beretta. So can't speak of it other than to say Beretta has a long standing reputation for quality...and you pay for that quality.

Now, I bought a Bersa Thunder duo-tone probably about 12yrs ago. I bought it mostly for my wife because she shot and really like a Sig that's similar but was out of my price range. Back then I gave like $210 out the door for the gun, and was buying ammo for it at like $8.00/box. When it was new we burned through a metric crap ton of ammo without any problems. Overall it has been a good gun, but certainly there are better available.
    We still occasionally take it out and shoot it. It's accurate, and easy to shoot. But reality is the .380 round even with good ammo is a little on the puny side compared to a 9mm.

I don't own anything in 9mm but last time I compared prices it was cheaper to buy 9mm ammo. So I would say if you just gotta have the next buy...look for a 9mm and save a few bucks on ammo

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I can't think of a reason to buy either one :ingo:
    This was my original thought as well, but brands aside, it's more because of the caliber. OP, I've seen numerous posts from you indicating your thriftiness and thrill for the best deal. So I have to ask... when you take the firearm out of your equation, why spend more on 380 ammo when 9mm is nearly the same size, much more economical to shoot, and is a more effective round? :dunno: I've found over the long haul (and this may be the missing part for your equation, it seems you don't keep anything very long) that feeding a firearm costs more than the firearm itself.

Sorry if this seems like I'm poking at you, I don't mean it that way at all.

And I refuse to numerically align my paragraphs. Hitting the <enter> key a couple times is faster, and thusly more economical. There, I said it. Hahh!

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I have a surplus CZ-82 that my Dad gave to me. It is in caliber 9mm Makarov, (9x18mm) and is laser accurate. Holds 12 rounds in the mag and rides easily in an IWB holster. It has been 100% reliable over the years and has fired at least a 1000 of rounds of ammo. I have a couple thousand more put back, from when it was cheap.

The CZ-83 is in .380, (9x17mm) and is no longer in production. The stainless versions are a work of art. I prefer the 9mm Makarov round because it falls between the .380 and 9mm Para.

If I get a day off, I can swing down your way and let you try out the CZ-82.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Never handled the Beretta. So can't speak of it other than to say Beretta has a long standing reputation for quality...and you pay for that quality.

Now, I bought a Bersa Thunder duo-tone probably about 12yrs ago. I bought it mostly for my wife because she shot and really like a Sig that's similar but was out of my price range. Back then I gave like $210 out the door for the gun, and was buying ammo for it at like $8.00/box. When it was new we burned through a metric crap ton of ammo without any problems. Overall it has been a good gun, but certainly there are better available.
    We still occasionally take it out and shoot it. It's accurate, and easy to shoot. But reality is the .380 round even with good ammo is a little on the puny side compared to a 9mm.

I don't own anything in 9mm but last time I compared prices it was cheaper to buy 9mm ammo. So I would say if you just gotta have the next buy...look for a 9mm and save a few bucks on ammo

1. Logical. I'm afraid just like the looks of the Ruger SR 1911 (stainless) the Beretta 84 has turned my head b/c of sheer beauty, with the Bersa SS b/c of the cost factor.

This was my original thought as well, but brands aside, it's more because of the caliber. OP, I've seen numerous posts from you indicating your thriftiness and thrill for the best deal. So I have to ask... when you take the firearm out of your equation, why spend more on 380 ammo when 9mm is nearly the same size, much more economical to shoot, and is a more effective round? :dunno: I've found over the long haul (and this may be the missing part for your equation, it seems you don't keep anything very long) that feeding a firearm costs more than the firearm itself.

Sorry if this seems like I'm poking at you, I don't mean it that way at all.

And I refuse to numerically align my paragraphs. Hitting the <enter> key a couple times is faster, and thusly more economical. There, I said it. Hahh!

2. Your point is well made, with truth springing from all directions.
    3. I have certainly learned that it is not the price of the gun but the ammo that is the reality-check if you a are going to use it and not be a decoration, and I can't have decorations around, only guns I'll use (which means I have sold and intend to sell some guns I like, but can't justify).
    4. This is one of the reasons that I got rid of both my Shield .45 and Ruger SR 1911 .45 (which churchmouse called me out on) is b/c since they weren't going to be a carry gun for me, I wasn't willing to spend 5 times more for running 300 rounds at the range with a .45 instead of my beloved 22LR since I enjoy it as much as anything.
    5. Most of my selling was with the small 9mms when I was looking for a carry and I settled on the Smith Shield.
    6. I have been open to a range 9mm, but I have not focused on that lately.
    7. I should get this .380 business out of my mind, especially one that costs $650 (more than anything else I have and generally more than most of any 2 other guns I have.
    8. I have read about guys online buying the Beretta for anywhere from $300-$500, but the guy selling here is not going to take that kind of loss by selling for even $500: he's losing 20% by selling for $650 and I can appreciate that kind of pain.

I have a surplus CZ-82 that my Dad gave to me. It is in caliber 9mm Makarov, (9x18mm) and is laser accurate. Holds 12 rounds in the mag and rides easily in an IWB holster. It has been 100% reliable over the years and has fired at least a 1000 of rounds of ammo. I have a couple thousand more put back, from when it was cheap.

The CZ-83 is in .380, (9x17mm) and is no longer in production. The stainless versions are a work of art. I prefer the 9mm Makarov round because it falls between the .380 and 9mm Para.

If I get a day off, I can swing down your way and let you try out the CZ-82.

9. That is a great offer and I appreciate it! I have read about such guns and there was a time I thought about getting one where the price was so right, but I decided I had no business with my experience (or lack thereof) in getting involved with "surplus" guns.
    10. I'm better off not shooting it, b/c if I loved it, I'd have another problem on my hand. :dunno:
    11. This "trimming" business isn't going to be easy over the years: it's not even been a year and I'm having problems. :laugh:

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Here's the thing... what purpose or niche are you looking to fill with either of these? I know I've asked this before (usually with others it is a good question), and I hesitate to ask it of the OP because he doesn't seem to think in this way, but if can you answer that question, it might help you decide... or not. Hence my original post, I can't think of a reason "I" would buy either of them. It's not a direct knock on either gun. To paraphrase Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory: "It's not that you don't do what you do well, it's just that what you do is not worth doing." is kind of my thought on both of these... but that's me.

Top Bottom