Bersa Thunder or Beretta Cheetah 84 .380?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I think you can get a better rice than $650.00 for the Beretta. I did from Indy Trading Post. Take your time and shop, great gun to own at the right price

Note the links I posted above. the second is for a Model 84 in vry good to excellent surplus condition for $350. Needless to say I may have ordered one of each to play with. :whistle:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    That lines up with several of the reviews I’ve come across when I was considering one. Figured if I wanted to play at that price level, the jump to a SW 41 would be worth saving a bit longer.

1. Yes, I have had my eye on them, but at $1000 - $1200 (don't remember) I quickly look away. :D

Have you considered an optic, like a red dot? At least for the pistols that can take one easily.
    I haven't gone that route myself yet for pistols, but all of my rifles (except the Henry) will have optics on them just because it’s easier than iron sights.

2. I have had that discussion with one of my friends here (maybe gmcttr), and with a rifle it would be warranted (sold my only one), but in my handguns, if it ever really had to be used, would be more in the "point and shoot" training, but It might be fun to pick out 1 gun to put one on, like my SGS 1911-22 (with the $500 upgrades) or maybe even my RIA 1911-22.
    3. If the sights could easily be moved from gun to gun it could be fun also (don't know how much trouble getting one "sighted-in" would be.
    4. I don't know anything about that other than you need "rails" and the cheap ones are $100ish and better ones are $200ish (just talking about the Toyota Corolla level). :dunno:

I think you can get a better rice than $650.00 for the Beretta. I did from Indy Trading Post. Take your time and shop, great gun to own at the right price

5. Yes, before I would pay $650 for a .380, no matter how lovely and "curvy" its shape and how my head would spin, I'm old enough to know "this too, will soon pass," not that my head has turned in 4+ decades at any other "curves," except, of course on some antique cars :lmfao:, I would get a 9mm range gun for fun, perhaps even a 9mm 1911 like I wanted in the beginning before I was turned on to a .45 1911, or perhaps a Glock since I've never had one, if I could get a price on one, but they sell for more than Smiths do, and they are my benchmark, then and Ruger, but I do love the stories of their dependability.
    6. Heck, you know me, if I got turned on to them after a year or two, I could sell all my Smiths and get Glocks if I determined I should spend the extra $200 -$300 per gun (I get unbelievable deals on the Smiths, that's the only reason I bought the Shield .45 with $275 in just the gun ($320 with $50 of ammo included).
    7. Never see deals like that with Glock or I would be having Glocks.
    8. People are selling Smiths for $100 - $200 more than I have in mine (and I love it: the hunt!) :coffee:

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Beretta

I had the beretta for a little while, ended up selling it. She has a Chiappa MC14 (now sold by Zenith, still made by Girsan) and I figured out it's a beretta 84 clone (has a tall closed slide like a sig instead of the open top beretta) and thought "gee, she likes that, lets get the beretta, it should be better quality". It does but it also recoils harder and she let the slide bite her racking it overhand (pinched the base of her palm between the breech and chamber after which it was that evil gun that hurt her). It does recoil hard for a .380 and for it's size, otherwise it's great.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Beretta

I had the beretta for a little while, ended up selling it. She has a Chiappa MC14 (now sold by Zenith, still made by Girsan) and I figured out it's a beretta 84 clone (has a tall closed slide like a sig instead of the open top beretta) and thought "gee, she likes that, lets get the beretta, it should be better quality". It does but it also recoils harder...

Fixed barrels have more felt recoil. A Beretta 3032 at 14 ounces has more felt recoil to me than a Keltec P32 at 8 ounces.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I came close to buying that Bersa 84 but was a good boy. It was nice to see a couple of the CZs, they are great guns. I have a couple in 9mm Mak. And the next show is June 1-3. I'll probably go, though it is a summer show and therefor smaller and in the smaller hall.

Just to mess with you, below are listings from Classic Arms. LEO trade in Beretta 84 for $350 and Md 85 for $399.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/beretta-85f-380-acp-7rd-pistol-good-condition

https://www.classicfirearms.com/beretta-84f-380-acp-13rd-pistol-good-condition

1. Fortunately, no SS. :D
    2. The Stainless is worth $75 more to me and the storyline of the owner here is worth another $75, so I'm up to $500 (adding $150 to the $350 online). :laugh:
    3. Unfortunately, the young man (I assume) needs $650 since that's his price losing 20%.
    4. Too big a gap to bridge on his part and I totally understand.
    5. I've actually been looking at Glock 9mm for a range gun, but no S/W or Ruger prices like I'm used to. :dunno:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    2. The Stainless is worth $75 more to me and the storyline of the owner here is worth another $75, so I'm up to $500 (adding $150 to the $350 online). :laugh:
    3. Unfortunately, the young man (I assume) needs $650 since that's his price losing 20%.

It is actually brushed or matte nickel. I sold one in similar condition a year ago or so for $525 with one magazine and a higher round count. So maybe the listing is not too high. unfortunately the baby Berettas take quite a hit on the used market. Especially now with the surplus 84s and 85s which fulfill the desire of those who want a range toy.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    OP, for what purpose are you considering buying either?

1. I am stunned by the good looks of the Beretta (stainless/nickel and wood handles) and the name Beretta with its alleged reputation for solidity. :dunno:
    2. I love the idea of a 13 rounder for possible occasional carry.
    3. range time does not matter since I have plenty of range guns.

4. Bersa: I bought the 22 Thunder 22LR and liked it and since they have the .380 in stainless, I was curious about it and there are many for sale used for $250ish, but new they aren't much more, and I would love to get it in the higher capacity (don't remember the rounds).
    5. It would be for occassional possible carry.
    6. Range time not matter

7. As I process this yet again I have less commitment to getting the Bersa b/c I have the Colt Mustang (from the late 80s) and the Smith M/P Bodyguard already so I should let the Bersa go.
    8. Then I have to deal with the fact that the Beretta makes my head spin b/c its look does something for me, but I since I can't get a SS for $500ish, I should maybe just get a Beretta in the 22LR target someday since I love everything 22LR.
    9. I have plenty of range guns and have carry guns in .32, .380, 9mm, 38 special and not looking to get a .40 or .45 ever.

10. I have no justification for getting either gun: I get the point of your question. It is a reality check.
    11. It might be more productive to get a small Glock 9mm or some other 9mm besides my Smith Shield 9mm, perhaps even a 1911 9mm like I wanted originally before I got my head turned to a .45

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    5. I've actually been looking at Glock 9mm for a range gun, but no S/W or Ruger prices like I'm used to. :dunno:

1. I am stunned by the good looks of the Beretta (stainless/nickel and wood handles) and the name Beretta with its alleged reputation for solidity. :dunno:
    2. I love the idea of a 13 rounder for possible occasional carry.
    3. range time does not matter since I have plenty of range guns.

4. Bersa: I bought the 22 Thunder 22LR and liked it and since they have the .380 in stainless, I was curious about it and there are many for sale used for $250ish, but new they aren't much more, and I would love to get it in the higher capacity (don't remember the rounds).
    5. It would be for occassional possible carry.
    6. Range time not matter

7. As I process this yet again I have less commitment to getting the Bersa b/c I have the Colt Mustang (from the late 80s) and the Smith M/P Bodyguard already so I should let the Bersa go.
    8. Then I have to deal with the fact that the Beretta makes my head spin b/c its look does something for me, but I since I can't get a SS for $500ish, I should maybe just get a Beretta in the 22LR target someday since I love everything 22LR.
    9. I have plenty of range guns and have carry guns in .32, .380, 9mm, 38 special and not looking to get a .40 or .45 ever.

10. I have no justification for getting either gun: I get the point of your question. It is a reality check.
    11. It might be more productive to get a small Glock 9mm or some other 9mm besides my Smith Shield 9mm, perhaps even a 1911 9mm like I wanted originally before I got my head turned to a .45

If it is the one I just saw in the classifieds (Beretta) it is a nickel finish and not stainless. Just for awareness , unless like the S&W M&P's these are stainless and then have another finish applied.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If it is the one I just saw in the classifieds (Beretta) it is a nickel finish and not stainless. Just for awareness , unless like the S&W M&P's these are stainless and then have another finish applied.

1. I usually say stainless/nickel b/c I remembered with different ones it was a mix.

Pic from Hoosier Armory: Pic from Classifieds here for sale:
    convert
    attachment.php

Type PistolAction Single/Double
    Caliber 380 Automatic Colt Pistol (ACP)
    Barrel Length 3.8"
    Capacity 13+1
    Safety Ambidextrous
    Grips Walnut
    Sight Configuration 3-Dot
    Weight 23.3 oz
    Frame: Finish Nickel
    Frame Material: Aluminum Alloy
    Slide Description: Nickel

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    1. That sounds like as good a summary as this could be given: thanks for your input!
    2. Attitude right now is: wary of the bursa due to the trigger issue, And while the beautiful stainless steel Beretta, has my attention
    Is too pricey for its intended limit to use with me.
    Both the Beretta 84 and the Bersa Thunder are nickel rather than stainless I believe.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ..10. I have no justification for getting either gun: I get the point of your question. It is a reality check. ...

What I was trying to get at with the “purpose” question is things like:

life safety/defensive purposes,
    collecting,
    investment,
    hunting,
    etc.

Point being, firearms are highly specialized tools, and people buy them for various reasons. Without knowing the planned use and the reason(s) for purchase it’s difficult to give meaningful advice.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Hey doddg, check out the third Makarov listed in the classifieds. It should be up your alley and a positive substitute for a Bersa.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What I was trying to get at with the “purpose” question is things like:

life safety/defensive purposes,
    collecting,
    investment,
    hunting,
    etc.

Point being, firearms are highly specialized tools, and people buy them for various reasons. Without knowing the planned use and the reason(s) for purchase it’s difficult to give meaningful advice.

1. In dealing with me, you have to add another category: sheer fun factor! :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Hey doddg, check out the third Makarov listed in the classifieds. It should be up your alley and a positive substitute for a Bersa.

1. Thanks for thinking of me, but I'm not going down that road.
    2. It reminds me of my antique car days: it's why I don't own any antiques and drive a modern roadster for my driving pleasure.
    3. Antique cars give new meaning to the phrase: money pit.
    4. I don't think anyone is taking me serious about wanting to "trim." :lmfao:
    5. Ignore the fact that I bought yet another gun today (Nano) and wanted the Kimber badly, but I put it back on the rack! :ugh:

Top Bottom